• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Cities have a choice of funding the stadium or losing the team....and often it occurs at a time when the city is not in the best financial situation to make a major investment.
    San Diego was flirting with bankruptcy when Spanos was trying to get them to build the new stadium; and it came immediately after.
    the Padres got their new stadium....and then Padre players started to immediately complain about the new stadium (Phil Nevin - fuck him!).

There is involved an emotional attachment to the team that trumps (small t) financial returns....its not a question of being dumb.
    Its not exactly the city proposing these ideas. Owners come to city officials with their demand and threaten to move their toy elsewhere
    if conditions are not met. This is true across the corporate spectrum....not just football.

Very few owners or corporations have any emotional attachment to a city and are free to figuratively black mail cities and fan bases
    Very few rich have any emotional attachment to anything (city/society/country/democracy) outside of their own club and family.

They have too much money and control over every damn facet of the society and we are more like an oligarchy than a democracy.
    So who pays for the stadiums?

One brutal sentence sums up the dismal state of wealth disparity in the US.

"The bottom half of Americans combined have a negative net worth," Ben Steverman wrote in a recent Bloomberg article.

This statement is based on the research of the economists Emmanuel Saez and Gabriel Zucman, who study wealth inequality. Zucman is a "wealth detective" who spends hours combing through spreadsheets of tax tables, macroeconomic datasets, and international money-flow calculations to find the secret money stashes of the richest people.

Saez and Zucman's research on wealth inequality also found that 20% of American wealth is controlled by the top 0.1% of taxpayers — or about 170,000 families. The top 1% controls about 39% of the country's wealth, and the bottom 90% holds only 26%, despite years of economic growth in the US overall.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

"The bottom half of Americans combined have a negative net worth," Ben Steverman wrote in a recent Bloomberg article.

This statement is based on the research of the economists Emmanuel Saez and Gabriel Zucman, who study wealth inequality. Zucman is a "wealth detective" who spends hours combing through spreadsheets of tax tables, macroeconomic datasets, and international money-flow calculations to find the secret money stashes of the richest people.

Saez and Zucman's research on wealth inequality also found that 20% of American wealth is controlled by the top 0.1% of taxpayers — or about 170,000 families. The top 1% controls about 39% of the country's wealth, and the bottom 90% holds only 26%, despite years of economic growth in the US overall.
      Numbers appear to reflect little of comparative lifestyles in my experience, 1950 to now. (I was 5 in '50). My wife & I live a lifestyle that only the well to do were able to enjoy in the 50's. Now we're relatively poor in comparison to the US gen pop worth. Apparently I didn't set my sights high enough.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Pulling this back into the NFL, I think I get why some players insist in getting paid in Crypto... its just publicity for the asset class pushed by those who are true believers, and the overall campaign to leave "fiat currencies". Otherwise, they would just get paid like everyone else in good old US Dollars, and hopefully their financial advisors will diversify them into different asset classes and investments. The foolish that put their eggs into one basket, particularly Crypto, are hurting today, but will be gloating if it gets back up again. I just think its Hopium for now, just like for people at the end of the Tulip fad, or even more recently, on Cannabis stocks.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I won't argue with this.

Owners should finance the entire thing, or pull up stakes and head elsewhere.
          Cities should not compete financially with each other for sports franchises.

Local politicians who offer sweet heart deals to a team like the Bills, in order to attract them to their city,
          should be not only voted out of office, but carefully investigated for potential bribery and racketeering chargers.

One exposed San Diego politician at least had the decency to have them pull a truck up with the payments to city hall.
          Can't remember who.

Dudes and super models, sure! Throw money at her if you have it.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
            Pulling this back into the NFL, I think I get why some players insist in getting paid in Crypto... its just publicity for the asset class pushed by those who are true believers, and the overall campaign to leave "fiat currencies". Otherwise, they would just get paid like everyone else in good old US Dollars, and hopefully their financial advisors will diversify them into different asset classes and investments. The foolish that put their eggs into one basket, particularly Crypto, are hurting today, but will be gloating if it gets back up again. I just think its Hopium for now, just like for people at the end of the Tulip fad, or even more recently, on Cannabis stocks.
            I had several dot-bomb hyped stocks, back when markets were getting fooled to forget all those silly notions of revenue, value, etc. and replace them with new metrics #clicks and velocity shit and the like. watched it skyrocket and blankly stared as it dropped back in to the abyss.

crypto confuses me because its not real. I ignored it when it was $1800, and I ignored it when it was $3k. and now … well heck beats me what anyone should do
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Oh, how I wish I had sold every stock I owned last October. My portfolio is down 40K since then. Oh well, you can't take it with you.
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                Oh, how I wish I had sold every stock I owned last October. My portfolio is down 40K since then. Oh well, you can't take it with you.
                I thought of you when I saw how retirement plans are tanking and that what we have to spend buys quite a bit less.
                It's a shame. Regardless, every day spent with family & friends is a blessing. Best wishes & prayers for you & yours.
                Everytime I see a new Chargeroo post is a bright spot in my day.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Cities have a choice of funding the stadium or losing the team....and often it occurs at a time when the city is not in the best financial situation to make a major investment.
                  San Diego was flirting with bankruptcy when Spanos was trying to get them to build the new stadium; and it came immediately after.
                  the Padres got their new stadium....and then Padre players started to immediately complain about the new stadium (Phil Nevin - fuck him!).

There is involved an emotional attachment to the team that trumps (small t) financial returns....its not a question of being dumb.
                  Its not exactly the city proposing these ideas. Owners come to city officials with their demand and threaten to move their toy elsewhere
                  if conditions are not met. This is true across the corporate spectrum....not just football.

Very few owners or corporations have any emotional attachment to a city and are free to figuratively black mail cities and fan bases
                  Very few rich have any emotional attachment to anything (city/society/country/democracy) outside of their own club and family.

They have too much money and control over every damn facet of the society and we are more like an oligarchy than a democracy.
                  Playing devil's advocate here...if another city is willing to pay for part or all of a stadium, why shouldn't the owners use that in leverage? That is pretty much how everything works. If you got a job offer that was going to pay you substantially more than your current job, but like your current job, would it be wrong to give your company a chance to match that offer? Or should your emotional attachment mean you should accept a lesser salary and stay at your current job? I can't fault the owners for negotiating the best deal they can get - all companies do it. Nobody is forcing the city to offer a penny in assistance. And if no cities did it, the owners would have to fund the stadiums themselves. But there are cities willing to do it so the owners take advantage of it.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                    Beef Before Gazelles
                    • May 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

crypto confuses me because its not real. I ignored it when it was $1800, and I ignored it when it was $3k. and now … well heck beats me what anyone should do
                    Rule #1: If you can't understand it, or it doesn't make sense, DON'T MESS WITH IT.

I *still* haven't heard a description of crypto that doesn't sound like it was written, at least in part, by a sideshow Elixer of Youth salesman.
                    Last edited by Ghost of Quacksaw; 06-20-2022, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Playing devil's advocate here...if another city is willing to pay for part or all of a stadium, why shouldn't the owners use that in leverage? That is pretty much how everything works. If you got a job offer that was going to pay you substantially more than your current job, but like your current job, would it be wrong to give your company a chance to match that offer? Or should your emotional attachment mean you should accept a lesser salary and stay at your current job? I can't fault the owners for negotiating the best deal they can get - all companies do it. Nobody is forcing the city to offer a penny in assistance. And if no cities did it, the owners would have to fund the stadiums themselves. But there are cities willing to do it so the owners take advantage of it.
                      Cities benefit. Why they pony up.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Cities benefit. Why they pony up.
                        Cities waste money on a lot of things. All kinds of projects I could care less about. I would have rather wasted a small snippet of county taxes on a Charger stadium than a long list of assorted things they spend on. Just me, I’m not avg joe citizen i guess.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Cities waste money on a lot of things. All kinds of projects I could care less about. I would have rather wasted a small snippet of county taxes on a Charger stadium than a long list of assorted things they spend on. Just me, I’m not avg joe citizen i guess.
                          Yeah that woman politician in SD wanted to turn the stadium site into a park. All that would turn out to be is a sleeping area for all the bums.
                          Last edited by Boltjolt; 06-20-2022, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X