• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I didn't want to spend too much time finding the best possible example....I used the first that i could find.
    Devontae Smith was so well covered, that the cb couldn't even touch him when attempting the tackle....which he was geared for well before the reception.

However, to get an idea of the greater precision generally required in the NFL, compare it with the Montana td pass to rice whose link i provided just for you.
    I don’t need to watch the link. I saw Joe Montana throw an amazing pass from deep in his own territory that hit Jerry Rice in stride 45 yards downfield at the Murph. Never forget it. Tight spiral right on the money. He was the

Comment

• equivocation
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2021
      • Send PM

Arm strength = velocity. Any NFL QB can throw the ball 50 yards (in theory). Not all of them can blow it by defenders.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Poor highlight to make that point. The guy is well covered and the throw perfect
        Lol, not the best clip. He was only open by 2 yards but it was rainbowed so high you can’t see the ball for most of the clip. But you can see the launch trajectory and that trajectory is up.

I didn’t mention target. Agree It was perfectly on target but NFL DBs recover on rainbows a lot better than college DBs - especially if the QB doesn’t have the cannon to keep them honest. that was my intended point. You can see differently, no worry here. I respect your views.

His senior year ALA WRs >>> opposing DBs and that made him appear better than he is. He’s not a bad QB but I still suspect he’s not going to be a champion or a HOF. Again Jmo, opinions are not fact so you can and maybe do see differently.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Yes, that his lack of arm strength will take away a good portion of the football field for the Miami offense to attack.
          He had a poor Oline last year (no worse than Herbert's in his rookie year), but good to decent offensive weapons.
          Somehow, Tua managed to turn Jaylon Waddle into a possession receiver.

I went back and looked at old Joe Montana tape: i remember him throwing a real nice & accurate deep pass.
          It didn't take me long to find a Montana bomb, 47 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to Jerry Rice:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcGnHJDrHe8 (at the 11:17 mark - the NFL didn't allow me to convert it into a gif).
          The great Jerry Rice only had a half step on the Ram cb. San Francisco didn't do it often, but defenses had to respect it.

I invite you to find tape of Tua at Alabama slinging the rock further than 35 yards.

And yes, I agree: having a sub standard arm doesn't incapacitate him as a qb.
          Chad Pennington had an even weaker arm, and he was really good.

There is no doubt that Tua, when healthy, has underperformed in the eyes of his ex head coach and others associated with the organization.

BTW, Bill Walsh probably would have loved Tua's footwork in the pocket. He was a stickler for that: promoting Drew Brees above Michael Vick,
          and trashing Ryan Leaf on each one's respective draft day for that quality.
          He has underperformed, but I just don't think the arm strength is that big a part of it.

His inconsistent ball placement and decision-making is a big, big part of it, and those are not necessarily things that can be fixed. Plenty of young QB can develop "arm" strength. You hit the weight room, improve mechanics, and then get better timing with your receivers, will all get the ball downfield more. But throwing into double coverage and not having a good sense of how to throw around/away from defenders is something some guys never develop.

Waddle I think was used a lot as a possession guy because he was the focus of the O last year. It is a lot easier to get the ball into a guy when he is running short routes than longer routes. Now that they have Hill, Cedrick Wilson and Gesicki, plus Gaskin, Mosert and Edmonds at RB, they can afford to use Waddle to attack deep more often. With what Maimi spent on Hill and Gesicki, they are certainly going to try and spread the ball around to other players more this year than last, although I do think Waddle still has an edge because of is chemistry with Waddle.

Miami is going into the season with Tua as their guy, so only time will tell on how it works out. THey still need a right side of the OL, but the skill positions seem pretty set.

Comment

• equivocation
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2021
            • Send PM

Tua struggles to throw to "NFL open" receivers. Part of that is habit. Even in the clip, the CB caught up to the WR but there was a good 2 yards separation when the ball was released. He is used to throwing to wide open guys.

Part of that is arm strength. He can't throw into tight windows or deep out routes because the ball is too slow and defenders can get there.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Quite the contrary!
              love to see their asses get kicked for all to see 5 Xs
              One of those games is Raiders. And I hate both teams.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

En vogue at TPB:
                weak armed QBs
                Slow WRs

What's next, skinny Oline?
                blind passrushers?
                Stupid HC?
                .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
                .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
                .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
                .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
                .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
                .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
                .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
                .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
                .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                  Tua struggles to throw to "NFL open" receivers. Part of that is habit. Even in the clip, the CB caught up to the WR but there was a good 2 yards separation when the ball was released. He is used to throwing to wide open guys.

Part of that is arm strength. He can't throw into tight windows or deep out routes because the ball is too slow and defenders can get there.
                  Thats what i said, only more eloquent. And I’m sorry about the arm strength believers, his deep balls are not strong, they are rainbows.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

Good, concise analysis there, Equiv. In conclusion, Tua is good enough to win some games...but the really good defenses can either jump his receivers routes, bait him into throwing a pick, or simply pick off an underthrown or poorly placed rock.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                      En vogue at TPB:
                      weak armed QBs
                      Slow WRs

What's next, skinny Oline?
                      blind passrushers?
                      Stupid HC?
                      Narrow shoulders

Comment

• captaind
                        Cook This Pork Chops
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Mars
                        • Ball Holder
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Narrow shoulders
                        And T-Rex arms

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post

And T-Rex arms
                          Bingo! Now we’re getting after it! Attaboy!

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡