• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post

You're worth what someone is willing to pay you, that's how markets work. Just because Watson got $230 million guaranteed doesn't mean a near-full guarantee is the new baseline for star QB contracts.

The exact same thing happened in the NBA last summer when Rudy Gobert was traded to the Timberwolves for a completely absurd package. The Timberwolves had a new ownership group coming in that was desperate to win given the franchise hasn't won a playoff series since 2004. When Durant demanded out of Brooklyn later that summer no one was willing to match that price even though Durant is far superior to Gobert. Teams refused to accept that as the new market price for "superstar" trade. Fast forward 6 months and Durant was quietly traded for a haul that was still less than Gobert.

The Watson contract is a complete outlier and teams are not going to accept that level of guaranteed money as the new normal. There's no need for collusion, every team already agrees it’s a nonstarter. If Lamar's camp (whomever that is) signals that he's willing to take something more akin to what Allen or Mahomes got, I think all these teams that expressed no interest yesterday would instantly jump into the sweepstakes. The thing is, Baltimore is also probably willing to give him that. Smart move from Baltimore IMO. ​
    The Lamar hangup is not money, it’s that he wants a fully guaranteed contract. That’s smart of him because once those electric legs are beat up, he’s just a guy. But not smart for ownership for the same reason, legs don’t last forever. You have to develop other ways to win as you get older. And I’m not sure that he has.

I don’t think he’ll take a deal elsewhere that is not fully guaranteed. We’ll see.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

The Lamar hangup is not money, it’s that he wants a fully guaranteed contract. That’s smart of him because once those electric legs are beat up, he’s just a guy. But not smart for ownership for the same reason, legs don’t last forever. You have to develop other ways to win as you get older. And I’m not sure that he has.

I don’t think he’ll take a deal elsewhere that is not fully guaranteed. We’ll see.
      If I am Atlanta Falcons . I offer Lamar a 10/400 million 200guarteed. And pay those picks to Ravens.

They would have a great chance to win their division by adding a special player like Lamar. Most impactful thing they can do to help them become a winner. I understand the concern with injury with a player of his style. And I understand he won't ever be amazing throwing from the pocket. But he just turned 26 and I think he can play 10 more seasons. And he is a winner.

The excitement, jersey sales, ticket sales. The AFC south isn't very good. He would easily be the best QB in the division and the NFC is currently QB poor. All the talent is in the AFC. If I am Falcons the wins he will bring, the division Titles he will bring. And playoff appearances as well. Build a great OL for him.

It's all a risk anyway. Scared money makes no money.
      Lamar is the type that can help get Falcons to NFC South title right away.
      They have the cap space to add him.
      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

The Ravens are calling Jackson’s bluff, now we will see who was right…year in and year out I like the way the ravens approach their personnel decisions, they are one of the best in the league…the market will be the judge and they can still match if they choose too, but after 25 months of dealing with a fucking moron that let’s his mother represent him I think that they’ve had enough of that bullshit…the ravens are like fuck it, we found this idiot at the bottom of the first round and we can find another one and improve our team with those extra picks…

the raven’s first most important question at the combine for potential QB prospects in 2023 was, “will your mother be representing you or have you signed with a qualified agent?”
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

If I am Atlanta Falcons . I offer Lamar a 10/400 million 200guarteed. And pay those picks to Ravens.

They would have a great chance to win their division by adding a special player like Lamar. Most impactful thing they can do to help them become a winner. I understand the concern with injury with a player of his style. And I understand he won't ever be amazing throwing from the pocket. But he just turned 26 and I think he can play 10 more seasons. And he is a winner.

The excitement, jersey sales, ticket sales. The AFC south isn't very good. He would easily be the best QB in the division and the NFC is currently QB poor. All the talent is in the AFC. If I am Falcons the wins he will bring, the division Titles he will bring. And playoff appearances as well. Build a great OL for him.

It's all a risk anyway. Scared money makes no money.
          Lamar is the type that can help get Falcons to NFC South title right away.
          They have the cap space to add him.
          I think the Ravens easily give Lamar 10/400/200. They’d give him 5/250 with 175 guaranteed. Money is not the problem, they just won’t give him 100% guaranteed.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• AL9000
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2022
            • San Diego, CA
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
            raiders have come out publicly saying they haven't ruled anything out at qb
            including trading to Jackson.

That could be dangerous for us.
            lol the Raiders are hilarious! Over the past several months it's went like this:

1. "the plan has always been Brady!" [then Brady reties]

2. "we'll trade Carr and take those picks to move up and take Bryce!" [then Carr denies trade]

3. "maybe we keep Carr one more year!" [then Carr is released]

4. "it's always been A-Rod because DeVante!" [then team rules out A-Rod]

5. "we'll take Stroud at 7!" [then Stroud has an awesome combine and will already be picked by 7]

6. "we'll trade to acquire Jackson!" [Ravens put the nonexclusive on Jackson]

7. "actually it's always been Richardson!"

What they'll actually end up with is Stidham and/or possibly Garoppolo and once that happens it'll be "oh we'll tank and take Caleb Williams in 2024!". But then they'll somehow win too many this season and not be in position to take Williams next year. Rinse and repeat.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by AL9000 View Post

lol the Raiders are hilarious! Over the past several months it's went like this:

1. "the plan has always been Brady!" [then Brady reties]

2. "we'll trade Carr and take those picks to move up and take Bryce!" [then Carr denies trade]

3. "maybe we keep Carr one more year!" [then Carr is released]

4. "it's always been A-Rod because DeVante!" [then team rules out A-Rod]

5. "we'll take Stroud at 7!" [then Stroud has an awesome combine and will already be picked by 7]

6. "we'll trade to acquire Jackson!" [Ravens put the nonexclusive on Jackson]

7. "actually it's always been Richardson!"

What they'll actually end up with is Stidham and/or possibly Garoppolo and once that happens it'll be "oh we'll tank and take Caleb Williams in 2024!". But then they'll somehow win too many this season and not be in position to take Williams next year. Rinse and repeat.
              Josh Mcdaniels was recently voted the worse coach in franchise history for the broncos, he’s the same guy that drafted tim tebow #15 overall and got caught filming an opponents walk thru. I think He’s going to draft levis and they’ll both be out of the league enjoying coffee with mayonaise in less than three years.

he took a playoff team from 2021 and dismantled it and now they are picking 7th overall, raider fans were right to be upset when davis hired him…the year before that I was petrified when his name came up during the search for a new charger HC…
              "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

raiders have come out publicly saying they haven't ruled anything out at qb
                including trading to Jackson.

That could be dangerous for us.
                Two positives with that.

We have beat Lamar twice, when he had a good defense...Raiders do not and we usually play the Raiders late in the season the second time around and Lamar will likely be hurt.

However, I hope they draft Levis or Richardson.

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Okay I have a question that I can't seem to find a google answer for.
                  say the raiders offer a deal with bih money up front and the ravens choose to receive 2 1st round picks as compensation...
                  Does Jackson first have to accept the deal from the raiders before it's presented to the Ravens?
                  My guess is that once Jackson signs the non exclusive Ftag, its out of his hands.
                  so 2 different teams can make Jackson and offer and the Ravens can pick which team he goes to? Presumably the team with better 1st round picks.
                  Sorry if it's not clear, I jist want to know if Jackson has any say in where he goes if he's traded for the picks.
                  Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Okay I have a question that I can't seem to find a google answer for.
                    say the raiders offer a deal with bih money up front and the ravens choose to receive 2 1st round picks as compensation...
                    Does Jackson first have to accept the deal from the raiders before it's presented to the Ravens?
                    My guess is that once Jackson signs the non exclusive Ftag, its out of his hands.
                    so 2 different teams can make Jackson and offer and the Ravens can pick which team he goes to? Presumably the team with better 1st round picks.
                    Sorry if it's not clear, I jist want to know if Jackson has any say in where he goes if he's traded for the picks.
                    I believe he has to agree to the deal presented to him and then it is presented to the Ravens to match it or not.

Signing the tag just gives teams the green light to make offers knowing the compensation is two #1's.

However, once he signs it,.... if no offers or he doesn't except an offer means he is obligated to play for 32 mil.
                    I'm pretty sure that's how that works.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I believe he has to agree to the deal presented to him and then it is presented to the Ravens to match it or not.

Signing the tag just gives teams the green light to make offers knowing the compensation is two #1's.

However, once he signs it,.... if no offers or he doesn't except an offer means he is obligated to play for 32 mil.
                      That makes sense to me.
                      sounds pretty fair to me.
                      I keep hearing about some collusion between Ravens and potential suitors.
                      The claim is that the Ravens essentially communicated to other teams that they intend to match any offer, so the only thing they would accomplish by offering a contract was resetting the market and/or resetting the guaranteed dollar amount.
                      So the Ravens would win by getting Jackson at a lower amount and cap hit and sending a message to Jackson and all future qbs that Watson's deal is truly a 1 off and not the current market.
                      idk personally, some things don't make sense to me.
                      if that's true, Ravens are foolishly risking a lot of bad reputation to gain very little, and I don take them for a foolish franchise.
                      Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Agree with that.

if he doesn’t get an offer he likes or no offer, I think he and the Ravens work something out. I can’t see him playing for $32m.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Josh Mcdaniels was recently voted the worse coach in franchise history for the broncos, he’s the same guy that drafted tim tebow #15 overall and got caught filming an opponents walk thru. I think He’s going to draft levis and they’ll both be out of the league enjoying coffee with mayonaise in less than three years.

he took a playoff team from 2021 and dismantled it and now they are picking 7th overall, raider fans were right to be upset when davis hired him…the year before that I was petrified when his name came up during the search for a new charger HC…
                          You mean the Tim Tebow with the worst coach in Denver team history that beat the Bolts?

Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X