• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

There’s a much larger sample size of the team playing without Derwin and his hype far exceeds his impact. I don’t know if Staley misuses him by trying to get him to do more than he should or what. But our defense doesn’t seem to suffer when he’s out. And I would have a hard time picking more than an impact play or two by Derwin.

it’s all conjecture because as you say the Dolphins would never do it. They aren’t moving Tyreek. He’s one of one.
    I guess you don't remember the KC games where a Kelce did nothing til Derwin left with an injury then he killed us.
    Maybe Staley moves him around too much, idk but to think Gilman is his equal is a laugher. Gilman doesn't get moved around so maybe there is something to Staley over using him.

And agree, Miami isn't moving Tyreek. Tua, when he is in the game is average without him. Though Tyreek did little against us last season as Tua was awful.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I guess you don't remember the KC games where a Kelce did nothing til Derwin left with an injury then he killed us.
      Maybe Staley moves him around too much, idk but to think Gilman is his equal is a laugher. Gilman doesn't get moved around so maybe there is something to Staley over using him.

And agree, Miami isn't moving Tyreek. Tua, when he is in the game is average without him. Though Tyreek did little against us last season as Tua was awful.
      I remember the KC game at SoFi last season where Derwin couldn’t cover him in the last minute and 30 and they marched down the field and Kelce beat Derwin off the line to walk in for a TD. That was a pretty bad memory.

im not saying Gilman is better than Derwin but it’s a team game and the defense played better without him. Why? I don’t know. Maybe they rely on him too much when he’s in there and can’t do that when he’s out, maybe Staley isn’t using him correctly, who knows? But Staley took the green dot from him pretty early last season. Name me some impact plays he made season? I can’t remember more than 1 or 2.

im also not married to any guy that was on the field giving up a 31-3 run to JaX. They can all go. They’re all damaged

and finally recruiting JCJ isn’t a positive

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

I remember the KC game at SoFi last season where Derwin couldn’t cover him in the last minute and 30 and they marched down the field and Kelce beat Derwin off the line to walk in for a TD. That was a pretty bad memory.

im not saying Gilman is better than Derwin but it’s a team game and the defense played better without him. Why? I don’t know. Maybe they rely on him too much when he’s in there and can’t do that when he’s out, maybe Staley isn’t using him correctly, who knows? But Staley took the green dot from him pretty early last season. Name me some impact plays he made season? I can’t remember more than 1 or 2.

im also not married to any guy that was on the field giving up a 31-3 run to JaX. They can all go. They’re all damaged

I like Derwin a lot. I also realize the defense is just not that good - so whatever it takes - they need to make changes

hence, why i could really care less if Tranq, Fox, KVN, Callahan are back. And I get Fox and Tranq were probably not the problem - but if you bring back to many players from that defense - will that be the solution

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Kelce makes just about all DBs look bad. He did torch James, but James has probably played him better than any DB in the league over the past few years.

The team played a wobbly Tua, Foles, Mayfield and Tannehill on a gimpy ankle when James was out. Not hard to understand why the D looked "better" in those games.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Kelce makes just about all DBs look bad. He did torch James, but James has probably played him better than any DB in the league over the past few years.

The team played a wobbly Tua, Foles, Mayfield and Tannehill on a gimpy ankle when James was out. Not hard to understand why the D looked "better" in those games.
            Don't get me wrong - I think James is a good player and I think he does help the defense. And with the NFL salary cap - its just hard to make player trades for a guy who just signed an extension. So its not even realistic to discuss. But if this were the NBA and trading James helps the team - I am not against moving on from anybody on the roster save 10 and 70.

Comment

• SK21209
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2020
              • San Diego
              • Send PM

The defense does not play better without Derwin, Staley just changes the entire defense when Derwin is out. The Fangio split-safety scheme is predicated on confusing the QB with complex coverages and Derwin is the focal point of that with his versatility. When Derwin is out, Staley simplifies things and guys like Gilman or Tranquill thrived in simplified roles.

This is a big reason why I hate the Fangio scheme, it puts way too much on versatile safeties and premier pass rushers. Fangio obviously had some initial success but look at the Fangio disciples around the league, their defenses sucked last year. Derwin is a great player that is being asked to do too much in this scheme IMO. If we weren’t hemorrhaging yards on the ground and were playing a simpler scheme I think Derwin’s playmaking would shine through.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

James' contract in untradable so it's a moot point,
                I just wish our glorified defensive coordinator (Staley)
                Can craft a capable defense without having so much resources tied into 1 safety/1 relationship.
                really thinking staley used his obsession with DJ as a way to gain credibility with players and fans alike.
                the derwin hype is the epitome of group think, and so long as staley sounds like he knows what he's doing with this DJ-led defense, no one will have the cajones to question him.
                "stone soup esqe " for my 3rd grade literature brothers.

2023: put up game changing plays or trade James with Staley somewhere where they can talk about playing defense.
                Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

How can the 49ers sign javon hargrave for 4 years 84 mil with no cap space?
                  "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Powers is a good get for the broncos, IMO they upgraded on risner…
                    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Jimmy G to the Raiders. They now have 2 ex Pats at QB

scratch that, Stidham to the Broncos. Broncos also sign Mike McGlinchey

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

McGlinchy is a body at RT, nothing more, I hope he signs in Denver.

So does the Jimmy G signing mean raiders go no qb in round 1?
                        Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                          McGlinchy is a body at RT, nothing more, I hope he signs in Denver.

So does the Jimmy G signing mean raiders go no qb in round 1?
                          Broncos got mcglinchy but they paid 5years 88 million, holy shit, I don’t like the signing for them, mcglinchy is a very average player coming off of a very serious injury, this one was dumb, I like their powers signing tho…by comparison KC signed a way better player in RT taylor from jax for 80 million…

as for Jimmy G, his contract is low by QB standards like 21 mil per year so yeah, IMO this tells me that with such a low contract they are probably still in the QB hunt unless they don’t like anyone coming out this year…

Comment

Working...
                          X