• Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    Trade the farm for Aaron Donald.
    The Charger Cow is nearly dry...don't try to milk it...
    (In other words, when it comes to FA's, the Bolts don't have, ahem, MOO-cho dinero)...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

The Charger Cow is nearly dry...don't try to milk it...
      (In other words, when it comes to FA's, the Bolts don't have, ahem, MOO-cho dinero)...
      thats punny.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

2023, it's 2 + 0 + 2 + 3 = 7
        That's how you got your lucky season ?
        Not personally but it can't hurt. I like it!
        I'm thinking O+ D+ STs+ talent + depth + coaching + health= Lucky Season

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

As he reported to training camp Tuesday with the rest of the Atlanta Falcons’ rookies, Bijan Robinson carried a designation both unusual and befitting the NFL moment: Yet to play a professional down, he will be the highest-paid running back in the league this season. He will make $13.7 million, the salary earmarked for the eighth pick in the draft. Though other running backs will average better money over the course of their contracts, none will earn more in 2023.

Those other backs include Saquon Barkley, Josh Jacobs and Tony Pollard, who by Monday’s deadline did not reach contractual agreements with the teams that had applied franchise tags to them. Last season, Barkley was the engine of the New York Giants’ transformation into a playoff team. Jacobs led the NFL in rushing. Pollard was perhaps the best skill player on the league’s marquee franchise. This fall, each will play on a one-year contract for $10.1 million or will not play at all.

I would have taken Bijan in the first if he was still there. In retrospect, it would have been a mistake. Quality backs have become cheap to acquire, and it looks like they’re getting easy to acquire too. Use the first rounder on a rarer, more valuable position.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I would have taken Bijan in the first if he was still there. In retrospect, it would have been a mistake. Quality backs have become cheap to acquire, and it looks like they’re getting easy to acquire too. Use the first rounder on a rarer, more valuable position.
            no way would it be a mistake - he's going to be phenomenal. 4 good yrs is a lifetime of service for today's NFL. The crapabout him being "highest paid" is just bullshit commie propaganda by media sycophants in cahoots with the rebel band of veteran RBs.

He gets more THIS year just because of the signing bonus. its a fluke, mirage, a head fake, a classic double step juke move! Papers are trying to stir up shit in sympathy with all of the top RBs out there bitching about their value. They all restarted their chirping this week - beloved Eke included and maybe the loudest. alas, it still is what it is.

they are whispering now they're gonna form a sub-union within a union, a secret cabal if you will. good luck, guys!

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

no way would it be a mistake - he's going to be phenomenal. 4 good yrs is a lifetime of service for today's NFL. The crapabout him being "highest paid" is just bullshit commie propaganda by media sycophants in cahoots with the rebel band of veteran RBs.

He gets more THIS year just because of the signing bonus. its a fluke, mirage, a head fake, a classic double step juke move! Papers are trying to stir up shit in sympathy with all of the top RBs out there bitching about their value. They all restarted their chirping this week - beloved Eke included and maybe the loudest. alas, it still is what it is.

they are whispering now they're gonna form a sub-union within a union, a secret cabal if you will. good luck, guys!
              Running backs of the world, UNITE!

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Josh Jacobs was more important than Davonte Adams to the Raiders offense.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Running backs of the world, UNITE!
                  Actually, i just read somewhere that he is a VP in NFLPA, and his generalized talk about the treatment of RBs is partly in his role to represent the other RBs. For what it’s worth, for who wants to believe … idunno

I love Austin the Player. look forward to watching him run angry in 2023.

Comment

• TTThunder
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Daniel Jones got 40M & Saquon got only 10M?!?

I would have signed Saquon 20M and if Daniel Jones does not agree on 25M, let him find a new team!!!

Go Bolts!!!

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Actually, i just read somewhere that he is a VP in NFLPA, and his generalized talk about the treatment of RBs is partly in his role to represent the other RBs. For what it’s worth, for who wants to believe … idunno

I love Austin the Player. look forward to watching him run angry in 2023.
                      I have no problem whatsoever with a player doing all he can to get the best deal he can. I was a union rep back in the day, and fully understand the collective bargaining process, protecting the rights of employees, etc. However, one of my biggest issues is the importance of NOT making public statements to the press, social media, etc. while negotiations are ongoing, or if there is a possibility of returning to the bargaining table. The union elects reps who bargain in good faith to get the best deal they can, and both sides are supposed to keep details of these negotiations confidential until the final proposal is brought to the union for a full vote of the membership. In an NFL player's case, he, his agent and his attorney go over it to accept, reject or counter.

One of my biggest frustrations was that management (the other side) would leak out details of what the union was asking for, then putting their spin onto it, claiming we were being greedy, and that management was making an offer that was more than fair. Lots of time, management was giving out misinformation. This is what Ekkie is basically doing. He's going public with his complaints about being underpaid--something that as an official with NFLPA he should know is detrimental to the bargaining process. He may be underpaid, but let the market decide that. Also, the Charger management may have already made a very fair offer we know nothing about.

Even though it appears no further negotiations for an extension are happening currently, Ekkie and the Chagers already agreed to a revised contract two months ago, which adds $1.75 million in incentives. And now he's STILL bashing the Bolts for not enough money? When Austin goes public with his criticism, it has the effect of undermining any future negotiations, and also basically stabs the Bolts in the back after they just recently arrived at an agreement. Sorry, Ekkie, this is not the way to respond after a deal is done.

One final point: When Ekkie goes public so many times with his griping, he may well scare off some teams that were thinking of signing him in the future. The GM's at some other teams may think, "no, we don't need another vocal headcase...pass." So, it is ironic that Ekkie, in attempting to get more $$$, may actually be devaluing his potential worth every time he appears in another interview or lets loose with another ungrateful tweet.
                      Last edited by Topcat; 07-20-2023, 08:12 AM.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

I have no problem whatsoever with a player doing all he can to get the best deal he can. I was a union rep back in the day, and fully understand the collective bargaining process, protecting the rights of employees, etc. However, one of my biggest issues is the importance of NOT making public statements to the press, social media, etc. while negotiations are ongoing, or if there is a possibility of returning to the bargaining table. The union elects reps who bargain in good faith to get the best deal they can, and both sides are supposed to keep details of these negotiations confidential until the final proposal is brought to the union for a full vote of the membership. In an NFL player's case, he and his attorney go over it to accept, reject or counter.

One of my biggest frustrations was that management (the other side) would leak out details of what the union was asking for, then putting their spin onto it, claiming we were being greedy, and that management was making an offer that was more than fair. Lots of time, management was giving out misinformation. This is what Ekkie is basically doing. He's going public with his complaints about being underpaid--something that as an official with NFLPA he should know is detrimental to the bargaining process. He may be underpaid, but let the market decide that. Also, the Charger management may have already made a very fair offer we know nothing about.

Even though it appears no further negotiations are happening currently, Ekkie and the Chagers already agreed to a revised contract two months ago, which adds $1.75 million in incentives. And now he's STILL bashing the Bolts for not enough money? When Austin goes public with his criticism, it has the effect of undermining any future negotiations, and also basically stabs the Bolts in the back after they just recently arrived at an agreement. Sorry, Ekkie, this is not the way to respond after a deal is done.

One final point: When Ekkie goes public so many times with his gripes, he may well scare off some teams that were thinking of signing him in the future. The GM's at some other teams may think, "no, we don't need another vocal headcase...pass." So, it is ironic that Ekkie, in attempting to get more $$$, may actually be devaluing his potential worth every time he appears in another interview or lets loose with another ungrateful tweet.
                        Ekeler is not underpaid. The real take is how overpaid most other players in the league are.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

The RB position has become diminished in the modern day NFL.
                          I expect more and more NFL teams to draft the best RB's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds from here on out.
                          I expect NFL teams will also draft RB's from smaller schools in the late rounds.

The premium positions are: QB, Pass Rusher, Offensive Tackle, WR, and CB (in that order).
                          It's a passing league. I'll offer up 2 glaring examples...
                          2021 Super Bowl. The Chiefs lose their OT's (one of them the week before the Super Bowl). Patrick Mahommes is running for his life... and the Chiefs fall 31-9 to the Bucs.
                          2023 NFCCG. The 49ers lose Brock Purdy (let that sink in)... Even with the highest paid RB (McCaffrey), the 49ers get blown out by the Eagles 31-7.

I sympathize with Ekeler... dude is a stud. If I had just scored more TD's than any other single player (outside of QB's)... I'd want to get paid appropriately, too. But AE is also the poster-boy for why you draft RB's in the late rounds. The fact that he is an UDFA can't lost on him.
                          I hope AE reaches all of his new escalators in his contract... he has definitely earned them.

Comment

Working...
                          X