Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

They are definitely making an example of him at this point. So ya, he's got to be smarter now and do everything he can to make it look like he's not leading with shoulder/helmet going forward. I don't like it but it is what it is.

It would be nice if refs called it both ways. We had multiple hits occur on Chargers' players that were worse and did not get flagged on the Vikings.
    To me the bigger issue is how this affects personnel decisions if at all.
    if the league is to continue trending this way, it devalues physical players with hitting power and technique, at least over the gentler, "sure-tacklers".
    I'm not complaining (at the moment) but this is something to consider if Telesco hasn't already.
    personally, I'm okay continuing drafting for physicality because my hunch is that the pendulum swing is coming soon enough, and I'm comfortable sacrificing a few bogus penalties (as frustrating as they may be) for the benefits of physically punishing the opposition.
    Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• northerner
      Charger fan since '79
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

DJ will get flagged every time he hits like this. I think last week’s WR hard hit was a bang bang play and he still got flagged for helmet to helmet hit.
      those flags (along with hits on the QB) should have some type of real-time review to go with them. i think they would have picked up the flag if they had reviewed it. DJ has had dumb, and warranted, penalties in the past, but i thought the vikings hit was more shoulder than helmet.

Comment

• CivilBolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

those flags (along with hits on the QB) should have some type of real-time review to go with them. i think they would have picked up the flag if they had reviewed it. DJ has had dumb, and warranted, penalties in the past, but i thought the vikings hit was more shoulder than helmet.
        Yup I agree. The hit was clean. It just looked bad real time.

Comment

• WindsorUK
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Windsor, U.K.
          • Send PM

Can't they look at those hits in the booth? If it was clean( defender leads with shoulder), pick up the flag?

Comment

• WindsorUK
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Windsor, U.K.
            • Send PM

And while we're at it, how in the h**l are ball carriers allowed to smash defenders in the cage, jerking their heads back, and yet nothing is called? Call it both ways or don't call it at all.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I said SB winning QB, not HOF QB. Coaching can absolutely be the difference between a guy winning a SB or not. Payton had a record of 152-86 and had his teams in the playoffs 9 times in 15 seasons with the Saints. He inherited a mess in Denver but I'm not writing him off quite yet. As I mentioned, I believe it will take a couple of seasons for them to turn it around because the team he inherited is so bad. We'll see how it turns out.
              I saw the difference, but a key advantage a coach has in a SB is having a HOF QB, so I switched the narrative. The chicken vs egg debate can never be answered, its not possible to prove Payton made Brees or Brees made Payton.

However, 2020 Brees' last year they were 12-4. 2021 the year he retired they were 9-8 and Payton then quit as he realized it was about to get worse. so ... you know, a data point in my favor. Not proof, just data.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

To me the bigger issue is how this affects personnel decisions if at all.
                if the league is to continue trending this way, it devalues physical players with hitting power and technique, at least over the gentler, "sure-tacklers".
                I'm not complaining (at the moment) but this is something to consider if Telesco hasn't already.
                personally, I'm okay continuing drafting for physicality because my hunch is that the pendulum swing is coming soon enough, and I'm comfortable sacrificing a few bogus penalties (as frustrating as they may be) for the benefits of physically punishing the opposition.
                I'd like to believe you're right, because I love the big hits, but unfortunately I think that level of physicality will continue to be frowned upon. The owners and the league are too exposed to litigation if they appear to approve or condone excess violence. Look forward to more rugby tackling . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I'd like to believe you're right, because I love the big hits, but unfortunately I think that level of physicality will continue to be frowned upon. The owners and the league are too exposed to litigation if they appear to approve or condone excess violence. Look forward to more rugby tackling . . . . . . . . . .
                  Players are bigger, stronger, faster than those glory days of yore that some of the ancient barnacled crustaceans fondly remember. I think its absolutely right to reduce player's risk at the cost of we get a smidge less personal spectator amusement. The intent of the game is not to harm people, too many get harmed as it is.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

We all knew that . . . . . . . . . .
                    Just collecting his (huge) paycheck. Worst FA signing since David Buston.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Players are bigger, stronger, faster than those glory days of yore that some of the ancient barnacled crustaceans fondly remember. I think its absolutely right to reduce player's risk at the cost of we get a smidge less personal spectator amusement. The intent of the game is not to harm people, too many get harmed as it is.
                      Ancient barnacled crustaceans???? That's harsh man . I thought you were turning over a new leaf? I may have to rescind my recent atta boy . . . . . . . . (congrats on working in crustaceans though - not often do we get a chance to use THAT word).

And the intent of (at least the next game) is to harm as many Raider players as possible (repeatedly) . . . . . . . . . . . .no mercy for those Aholes.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Just collecting his (huge) paycheck. Worst FA signing since David Buston.
                        I think Gaither was worse - he just simply quit. At least JC's working to get healthy. I agree that it sure hasn't worked out for us (or him) though. I'll admit when his signing was announced I was very happy - I thought he was the missing piece for the defense, you know - the elite cover guy . . . . . . . . . . (not)

Comment

Working...
                        X