• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
    So the commanders had to settle for Quinn...ouch!
    That great search party they assembled really blew it. Part of me wonders if they put all their basket into the Ben Johnson sweepstake and had no backup plan when he declined.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

All the HC vacancies are filled now. Belichick, Carroll and Vrabel are without teams. Surprising given their records. 2 are Super Bowl winners and 1 with a claim to be the 🐐.

sone odd choices, especially in Carolina.

Harbaugh is the best choice for us. A proven winner but still young enough to have a good decade ahead of him.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
        All the HC vacancies are filled now. Belichick, Carroll and Vrabel are without teams. Surprising given their records. 2 are Super Bowl winners and 1 with a claim to be the 🐐.

sone odd choices, especially in Carolina.

Harbaugh is the best choice for us. A proven winner but still young enough to have a good decade ahead of him.
        Chargers got the best coaching hire of the offseason and its not even close

As for Vrabel - have zero idea why teams didn't want him. I think part of it is that GMs wanted to have control and Vrabel probably wants his say in the process

I think he is one of the top coaches - meaning taking a roster and maximizing the roster. Doesn't need a "type" - just sees what he has and coaches those players up. Like Sean Payton seemed to want Wilson to do things he wanted a QB to do and not maximize Wilsons skillset.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

That great search party they assembled really blew it. Part of me wonders if they put all their basket into the Ben Johnson sweepstake and had no backup plan when he declined.
          Good take. They made a splash with Adam Peters and the new ownership group and then hired the equivalent of Norv from the defensive side of the ball.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Good take. They made a splash with Adam Peters and the new ownership group and then hired the equivalent of Norv from the defensive side of the ball.
            Just glad the Chargers got Harbaugh and if reports are true, Vrabel was their second choice.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Just glad the Chargers got Harbaugh and if reports are true, Vrabel was their second choice.
              Glad we never had to entertain Vrabel as a second choice. There’s a reason every team locked him out this coaching cycle.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Boomer Esiason came out right after the chargers hired Harbaugh and said, so? "the commanders are still getting the best coach in this hiring cycle, ben johnson". LOL, I don't think Boomer knew that Johnson only wanted to leave Detroit for the Chargers, he's waiting for an opportunity that already has an established QB and I can't say I blame the guy...
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Glad we never had to entertain Vrabel as a second choice. There’s a reason every team locked him out this coaching cycle.
                  I think he wanted too much power probably. He is pretty head strong.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

it's true, he wants the same treatment that Harbaugh is getting, but I don't think he's as good of a coach or as connected like Jim is...
                    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Vrabel is the CEO type of HC. All other coaches hired were coordinator types, except Pierce and Mayo, and probably will call their own plays. I think the potential price tag for Vrabel was too high for most teams, and GMs would have to cede personnel control to him.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think he wanted too much power probably. He is pretty head strong.
                        Yeah, it’s the Belichick effect even though he was only a player under Bill and not a HC. He also sucks as a playcaller which is why it always surprises me when people say he could just be DC for a year.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Vrabel is the CEO type of HC. All other coaches hired were coordinator types, except Pierce and Mayo, and probably will call their own plays. I think the potential price tag for Vrabel was too high for most teams, and GMs would have to cede personnel control to him.
                          I think we’re the other exception since Harbaugh doesn’t call plays also.

Comment

Working...
                          X