• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

These were the first two things that popped into my head too. Bummer is if they don't trade out I see Slater as a goner at 8 and I can easily see the Cowboys scooping Darrisaw at 10. IF the Panthers do not trade out of 8, then that puts our draft into the hands of the Cowboys. I believe if they go OT then we go corner and vice versa.

OHHHHHH the fun is just beginning.............
    So, now we're back to Ninja's idea to trade up to #4 with the Falcons and grab Sewell...before we get stuck with the Fluker-like leftovers...

Comment

• Bolt Dude
      Draftnik
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

So, now we're back to Ninja's idea to trade up to #4 with the Falcons and grab Sewell...before we get stuck with the Fluker-like leftovers...
      Ah the memories loom large. Neither Jenkins or Darrisaw is Flukes-like. I'm thinking a team trading into the Panther's spot for a QB is the best hope. But if a trade happens, it probably won't happen until during the draft.
      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

No ...take your CB at 13 and go OT at 47
        Cosmi or Walker or Radunz - maybe Telesco can do a better job of scouting - I mean, this is his bleeping job.

Slater was always an option for the Panthers at 8. I saw a couple mocks with Slater to the Panthers. Also maybe the Patriots trade up with the Panthers for QB

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Cosmi or Walker or Radunz - maybe Telesco can do a better job of scouting - I mean, this is his bleeping job.

Slater was always an option for the Panthers at 8. I saw a couple mocks with Slater to the Panthers. Also maybe the Patriots trade up with the Panthers for QB

Of Cosmi, Little, or Radunz... exactly zero of those guys will be there @#47.

Panthers will take a CB and Cowboys will take a CB. Which CB will the Cowboys take...? That's the question. Caleb Farley will be the most poked and prodded prospect of the draft...

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Jerrah knows the value of an O Line. It made his whole offense great a few years ago.
            Their OL is still pretty good. They were just all hurt last year and Martin had to play OT til he also got hurt which meant all of the starters were injured.
            OC is their biggest need on the OL.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

No. The college scouting department has that job

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Let's review the top draft needs of each team up to us at #13:

2021 NFL Draft: First-round order, top five needs for all 32 teams

Published: Apr 01, 2021 at 04:40 PM / Dan ParrBiggest needs: QB, TE, DL, S, OL
                After scratching the first need off the list with the draft's top pick, the Jaguars can turn their attention to finding a pass-catching weapon at tight end and supplementing a defense that had some major holes plugged via free agency.

Comment: Lawrence. No brainer.Biggest needs: QB, CB, OL, EDGE, TE
                Yes, there are more than five pressing areas of concern for the Jets. (No, we didn't forget about running back.) GM Joe Douglas' top task is making a decision at quarterback. From there, he's charged with building up a mostly unproven group of cornerbacks and giving his passer a much-improved supporting cast.

Comment: Now that the Jets have cleared the deck by sending Darnold off the the Panthers, it's either Wilson or Fields.

Pick 3
                San Francisco 49ers
                FROM HOUSTON TEXANS VIA MIAMI DOLPHINS
                49ers' biggest needs: QB, CB, DL, OL, TE
                The Niners spared no expense to move up the draft board, situating themselves in a spot where they'll be able to land Jimmy Garoppolo's eventual successor. Next up on the to-do list: replenishing the depth at corner and on the defensive line. A little more insurance behind George Kittle wouldn't hurt either.

Comment: Either Wilson or Fields.Biggest needs: EDGE, CB, OL, S, QB
                The Falcons' biggest holes are on defense, where they're shopping for edge-rushing help yet again. A chance to pluck Matt Ryan's eventual successor with their top pick will be tempting, though.

Comment: Some draftniks had mocked Fields to the Falcons, but that was before the Niners traded up to #3 obviously for a QB. Now, with the Big 3 QB's gone, we could see Edge, like Paye, or more likely one of the top CB's...Biggest needs: OL, EDGE, WR, TE, DT
                Cincinnati's primary mission should be to give Joe Burrow a much better supporting cast than he had a year ago, from the front five to the skill positions. Beyond that, the work of turning around a pass rush that produced a league-low 17 sacks in 2020 shouldn't end with the additions of Trey Hendrickson and Larry Ogunjobi.

Comment: Most of the Bungles O-line issues were IOL, so it's possible Slater gets picked here, since a lot of draftniks project him as a better G than T. Sewell still quite possible here though...

Pick 6
                Miami Dolphins
                FROM PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
                Dolphins' biggest needs: WR, EDGE, OL, RB, LB
                The offense was decidedly not explosive when Tua Tagovailoa was at the helm in 2020. But with a little more seasoning and better weaponry on the perimeter, the second-year signal-caller could have South Beach rocking. Brian Flores' defense requires attention, too, with the Dolphins seeking to replace the pass-rush production that left town with Shaq Lawson and Kyle Van Noy.

Comment: Probably wideout...Chase has been mocked to the Fins...but if Sewell is still there, might be tough to pass up...Biggest needs: WR, LB, S, CB, OL
                Doing right by new QB1 Jared Goff means finding him a WR1 early in the draft. The Lions' new decision-makers also have the tall task of repairing a defense that broke under the previous regime.

Comment: Plenty of good wideouts still left...or for LB, Parsons maybe...Biggest needs: OL, CB, WR, S, TE
                After spending all of their picks on defensive players a year ago, a more diversified approach is in order for Carolina.

Comment: If Sewell and Slater are both gone, maybe a run on OT's starts with Panthers taking either Darrishaw or Jenkins...Biggest needs: QB, OL, LB, DL, RB
                Denver should be in the market for quarterback who can, at minimum, push Drew Lock for the starting job. A right tackle, playmaking inside linebacker and depth for the D-line and running back position should also be on the radar for George Paton in his first draft as general manager.

Comment: Horseface might be tempted to take Darrishaw or Jenkins, but I think if either Lance or Jones is there, he rolls the dice with one of the two...Elway is still probably not sold on Lock, so Horseface is still looking for the next...Horseface...Biggest needs: CB, OL, S, DL, LB
                Jerry Jones and Co. have work to do at every level of a defense coming off a disastrous season. The business of keeping Dak Prescott upright and healthy is of the utmost importance, though.

Comment: If there's an early run on OT's, Jerruh may pass on the likes of Cosmi or AVT-Rex, and go with one of the top CB's on the board, either Surtain or Horn...then look for O-line, especially IOL, in round 2...Biggest needs: EDGE, OL, WR, RB, DT
                A stud edge rusher could be a huge difference-maker for Joe Judge's defense. On the other side of the ball, could we be on the verge of witnessing a Daniel Jones breakthrough if GM Dave Gettleman finds the third-year QB another playmaker and improved protection?

Comment: If Paye is gone, Gnats may go with Rousseau...run on top 3-4 O-line may be over by now, so it's either Edge or one of the shiny wideouts still left...corner possible also...

Pick 12
                Philadelphia Eagles
                FROM SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VIA MIAMI DOLPHINS
                Eagles' biggest needs: WR, CB, OL, LB, DL
                Philly just picked a wide receiver in the first round last year (Jalen Reagor), but it's in the market for another young talent at the position after parting ways with DeSean Jackson and Alshon Jeffery. There are pressing needs in the secondary for GM Howie Roseman, too.

Comment: We better hope the Eagles pick a wideout and not one of the remaining decent O-linemen...corner is possible also...

Final thoughts: There sure are a lot of O-line needy teams...if there's an early run and Sewell, Slater, Darrishaw and Jenkins are gone, we could see 3-4 OT's already gone by #13...better try to trade up for OT if we can...

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-dr...r-all-32-teams
                Last edited by Topcat; 04-05-2021, 03:43 PM.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Of Cosmi, Little, or Radunz... exactly zero of those guys will be there @#47.

Panthers will take a CB and Cowboys will take a CB. Which CB will the Cowboys take...? That's the question. Caleb Farley will be the most poked and prodded prospect of the draft...
                  do you have a crystal ball? we just have no clue this year what is going to happen
                  none whatsover

I do think the Cowboys will take CB as their need on the OL is Center - granted they might surprise and take Slater and shift somebody to Center and put Collins at OG. But with one of the worst defenses in football - I think Jerrah goes DB and its Surtain.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

No. The college scouting department has that job
                    Telesco is the GM - he makes the pick. Its there job to present options - but his job to pick the right player with Staley.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Telesco is the GM - he makes the pick. Its there job to present options - but his job to pick the right player with Staley.
                      True, but he isn't the scout. We have a staff for that and I'm sure as a group they go over things together and form a draft board.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

1st: Jax QB Lawrence
                        2nd: NYJ QB Wilson
                        3rd: SF QB Fields/Jones
                        4th Atl WR Chase
                        5th: Cinci LT Sewell
                        6th Mia WR Waddle
                        7th: Det CB Surtain
                        8th Caro CB Farley/Horn
                        9th: Den QB Fields/Jones
                        10th Dal CB Farlay/Horn
                        11th: NYG LB Parsons
                        12th: Phi TE Pitts
                        13th: LAC OT Slater/Darrisaw
                        14th: Min OT Slater/Darrisaw
                        15th NE QB Lance

20th Chi OT Jenkins
                        21st Ind OT Cosmi
                        23rd Pit OT Eichenberg
                        31st KC OT Radunz

Leftovers: Leatherwood, Carman, Brown, Mayfield, Hudson

I didn't include Walker Little because I just don't know about his knee. NFL teams will, though. If his knee is good, he will occupy one of the 1st round slots.

There are a couple teams in the 2nd round that pick before us that could use some OT depth... and I believe another 2 or 3 OT's could be chosen in early round 2.

My point being this... it's a crapshoot waiting until the 2nd or 3rd round for OT this year...

But you say, "Nutty, never before have 7 or 8 OT's gone in the first round of the draft".
                        To which I say, "Never have we had an OT class this good... I'm just matching talent with slots and team's needs."

Comment

• RTPbolt
                          Charger Fan till the end
                          • Jun 2013
                          • North Carolina
                          • Send PM

If 4 or possibly 5 qbs go in front of us and 3 OTs then there will be a great choice in Edge or CB to run with and im totally fine with that. Our D has let us down more than the OL last year. Id go after OL in the 2nd as some good prospects will be there. With Ingram still not signed and a clear hole at cb Id put a higher need in those 2 roles. Play the draft position and let someone fall...we still get a top 2 position player at 13. Maybe trade up a few spots but id rather keep the draft capital...we need to build depth to go anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                          X