• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

So would I. Roll the damn dice. It’s gonna take somebody with another gravitas to tell Spanos to sit down, STFU and open the checkbook and otherwise if I need something I’ll ask you and you’ll say yes.
    Opening the checkbook for the roster has never been an issue - they always spend up towards the cap. The problem is always what did they spend it on. Look at this year - the big investment was Turner and Bulaga - wtf have they delivered to the team?

Urban recruited the best players year in year out. Sure, OSU has an advantage that the best players want to go there, but the Coach still needs to pick which ones he gives scholarships to. Urban knows talent.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Opening the checkbook for the roster has never been an issue - they always spend up towards the cap. The problem is always what did they spend it on. Look at this year - the big investment was Turner and Bulaga - wtf have they delivered to the team?

Urban recruited the best players year in year out. Sure, OSU has an advantage that the best players want to go there, but the Coach still needs to pick which ones he gives scholarships to. Urban knows talent.
      I go back to Pouncey. He came to the Chargers with bad hips
      He was hurt in 2019 with a bad hip

they brought him back and he was hurt early in the season

I thought they should have given him a $500k parting gift and used the cap space more wisely.... it wasn't like his hip was getting better.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Keeping Pouncy this year was perhaps the worst decision they made.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
          Bringing in the spent chris harris and parting ways with King (finalized this year) was their worst personnel decision.
          Not extending Phillips was a bad decision.....both these guys have many years left.
          Coaches casually jettisoning Telesco's few hits is unacceptable.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Recruiting is the key . It isnt close to the same thing as the NFL trying to sign guys for money.
            You can recruit i think 20-25 pkayers a year and not worry about any cap, not worry about a penny. It is not the same at all.

Spanos is cheap with hiring coaches amd i doubt Meyer would be any good as a NFL GM kust as Saban wasnt.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
              Worse than letting John Spanos make draft picks for franchise the last eight seasons? That's a bold statement.

The #1 Rule for successful business: Hire people smarter than yourself and delegate.

Nowhere, in any text ever written, in the age of guilty-man, does it say 'put your youngest child in charge'.

I found one book that alluded to it, but it was a children's book.

Asshole again.png

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Worse than letting John Spanos make draft picks for franchise the last eight seasons? That's a bold statement.

If you're right that Spanos makes the picks, why replace TT? In fact, why even pay anyone to be the GM?
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

If you're right that Spanos makes the picks, why replace TT?
                  I am a firm believer that if John Spanos wants to field a contender in Los Angeles, he's got to comes to grips with the fact that, like Dave Caldwell, another Bill Polian protege, who didn't work out as a GM in the NFL for the Jaguars, neither did Tom Telesco for the Chargers. Then, hire a football man as GM. I'm dubious as to whether or not John Spanos willingly makes a move to reduced his authority in the front office. That would show maturity and wisdom beyond his years, and a quality his father never possessed.

Can John Spanos man up and admit both his hires of Anthony Lynn and Tom Telesco suck and both need sacking in 14 days? No way.

In fact, why even pay anyone to be the GM?
                  Tom Telesco is a firewall to protect John Spanos from accountability. Tom is like a brake pad.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

The #1 Rule for successful business: Hire people smarter than yourself and delegate.

Nowhere, in any text ever written, in the age of guilty-man, does it say 'put your youngest child in charge'.
                    But...but...look at the Bolt War Room--is it really possible Baby Spanos makes ALL those picks by himself? Isn't it kind of a consensus?

war room.JPG
                    war room 2.JPG

war room 3.JPG

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Sorry Ghost, I'm not buying that Spanos is making the calls - I still think it's TT and he should be replaced - 8 years and we aren't any better off than we were when he signed on! (except at QB)
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

I found one book that alluded to it, but it was a children's book.

Asshole again.png
                        The Godfather.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                          Sorry Ghost, I'm not buying that Spanos is making the calls - I still think it's TT and he should be replaced - 8 years and we aren't any better off than we were when he signed on! (except at QB)
                          As long as we can agree the decisions are not-NFL standard, despite who is actually making the picks (cough, the owner's son), I think alot of folks can draw the same conclusion: The current system isn't tenable.

Comment

Working...
                          X