X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SYB View Post

NO has 2 QB's to choose from that are much better than Philip at this stage.

And Jax is on the hook for $22mil if Foles remains on the team, and almost $34mil if he's cut. Not to mention that Minshew arguably had a better year than "chuck and duck" Rivers did, with less weapons.

Neither are realistic options.
    The Saints have zero QBs that were on their 2019 roster that are better than Rivers. However, the Saints do represent a good landing place for any QB with Payton as HC, 4 Pro Bowl OL players with the 5th being an All-Rookie player, the league's best WR and Alvin Kamara too just for kicks. Jared Cook is not a half bad option at TE either. And there is a pretty good chance that the Saints will take a wide receiver early in the 2020 draft to pair with Thomas.

Comparing Minshew to Rivers is a joke. Minshew is a reserve caliber QB. Rivers is a good OL away from putting up elite numbers as he has in the past.

Rivers could very easily be the best QB in the NFL with Payton, the OL that the Saints have, Thomas and Kamara.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

The Saints have zero QBs that were on their 2019 roster that are better than Rivers.
      The Saints have zero QBs under contract for next season.

Comment

• Sb4Rivers
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2019
        • Send PM

No brainer? Except for the fact that both Brees and Bridgewater are better options for them. :rofl:
        It’s a no brained for Rivers not the Saints

Comment

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The Saints have zero QBs under contract for next season.
          I saw that before my post, which is why I referenced the QBs on their 2019 roster. I get that people could argue Brees over Rivers, a proposition with which I would disagree, but at least one that is worthy of debate. But arguing that Bridgewater or Hill would be better options than Rivers is just ridiculous.

Any QB is going to do better with the game's best WR, a great RB, a good TE, 5 great OL players (one of which is a free agent this year), and Sean Payton as the HC.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

The Saints have zero QBs that were on their 2019 roster that are better than Rivers. However, the Saints do represent a good landing place for any QB with Payton as HC, 4 Pro Bowl OL players with the 5th being an All-Rookie player, the league's best WR and Alvin Kamara too just for kicks. Jared Cook is not a half bad option at TE either. And there is a pretty good chance that the Saints will take a wide receiver early in the 2020 draft to pair with Thomas.

Comparing Minshew to Rivers is a joke. Minshew is a reserve caliber QB. Rivers is a good OL away from putting up elite numbers as he has in the past.

Rivers could very easily be the best QB in the NFL with Payton, the OL that the Saints have, Thomas and Kamara.
            The Saints aren’t dumb enough to make the same mistake the Chargers made and choose Rivers over Brees.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

NO has 2 QB's to choose from that are much better than Philip at this stage.

And Jax is on the hook for $22mil if Foles remains on the team, and almost $34mil if he's cut. Not to mention that Minshew arguably had a better year than "chuck and duck" Rivers did, with less weapons.

Neither are realistic options.
              If Jax was truly determined or had the incentives of a cheap Rivers contract, they could Osweiler Foles' ass to another team like the Texans did. They'd be able to afford to as well since they've got those picks from LAR as well.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

The Saints aren’t dumb enough to make the same mistake the Chargers made and choose Rivers over Brees.
                if some of the recent headlines I've read coming out of NO are any indication, they might be.

Comment

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

The Chargers did not make a mistake in keeping Rivers over Brees. Brees had seasons worse than Rivers ever dreamed of having in the Chargers offense. In 2003, Brees threw 11 TDs and 15 INTs and only completed 57.6% of his passes. Brees was so bad, he got pulled in favor of Doug Flutie...in his third season in the league.

That was why the Chargers correctly decided that they needed to draft a QB with the #1 overall draft pick in the 2004 draft.

Honestly, I do not think that Brees's career ever would have taken off in the first place if Rivers did not hold out in 2004 as it was obvious that the Chargers were trying to move away from Brees. But with Rivers holding out, Brees got one more extended look and to his credit, he made the most of it by having a very good 2004 season. But he regressed in 2005 and then got injured. So, Brees basically had one superior season running the offense for the Chargers, one statistically average season, two poor seasons and a rookie season in which he hardly played at all.

When Rivers got his chance, he immediately became a top 10 rated starter and after a less good second season, he was the best QB in the NFL over the three year combined period from 2008-2010.

So, we already know that Rivers has run the Chargers offense better than Brees ever could, so why is it so unreasonable to think that he could not also run the Saints offense better than Brees?

In my opinion, I think teams are going to understand that the issue for the Chargers was the OL and realize that if they are a team with a good OL, Rivers will be a very good QB for them. New Orleans, with 4 Pro Bowl OL players and an All-Rookie OL player, definitely fits that description.

Rivers is also just about three years younger than Brees, so it is likely that if Rivers wanted to play longer that a team signing him could get more seasons out of him than would be the case with Brees.

Comment

• Kingcrimson
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

There is no team within commuting distance of where he moved so he either will move his family or spend a lot of time away from them.
                    Again, you can really tell what his values, personality is.. I doubt he leaves his family behind or moves them again. He either plays for a team that’s closest to him, or he calls it quits. Judge me now, I’ll go back to this post later.

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Kingcrimson View Post

Again, you can really tell what his values, personality is.. I doubt he leaves his family behind or moves them again. He either plays for a team that’s closest to him, or he calls it quits. Judge me now, I’ll go back to this post later.
                      Maybe it's for tax purposes. If he resides maybe longer in florida than six months you might be able to claim it as your home state and defer California's state income tax. Not sure how it works maybe some accountant can give explanation for the move to florida. Florida seems to be centrally located for southern NFL teams. I would also think that he can easily rent a nice place for peanuts back east no matter where he decides to play. Also, there is the possibility that no team wants to pay him what he wants to be paid and he just retires quietly.
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Sb4Rivers
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2019
                        • Send PM

Saints will resign Hill as their 2020 starter if Brees retires. Payton and RIVERS HAVE HOMES ON 30A florida. I’ve met both.

jerry Jones also has vacation home around the corner.

Comment

• Sb4Rivers
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2019
                          • Send PM

I wasn't aware of that. But that info only strengthens my belief that location won't be the determining factor in choosing whether to continue playing or not.

Having said that, I still believe that Tampa is the only team that makes any sense.
                          FYI Rivers grew up in Decatur Alabama which is close to Nashville and Indy. The coaches in Indy were River OC and QB coach in San Diego. Hint Hint.
                          Colts have a rookie QB cheap who could learn from Rivers....

Tannihill might want to much guarantee money with to many years. It’s a long shot, but both better than Tampa.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍