Should The Bolts Hire An Outside Consultant For Talent Evaluation In The Draft?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Should The Bolts Hire An Outside Consultant For Talent Evaluation In The Draft?

BFTB had a recent story, "BFTB Roundtable: Who should the Chargers select with the 6th-overall pick in the NFL Draft?" Mike Murray brought up the idea of hiring an outside consultant to get another set of eyes on the talent evaluation for the draft. Since TT has whiffed on a lot of his choices, especially the O-line, I think it's an idea worth exploring. What do you think?

"Mike Murray: The Chargers desperately need to bolster their offensive line. Even if Pouncey and Okung return next season, the time is ticking on both of those guys and the Chargers need to be looking to the future. Andrew Thomas, Mekhi Becton, or Jedrick Wills. The Chargers should also hire an outside consultant to evaluate the talent of these guys. The Chargers have come up short on every o-line pick they have made since Telesco entered the building. For the love of God get some outside help on this one. Derrick Brown would also be a good selection here as well as the Chargers still need a man in the middle on defense. Isaiah Thomas is also a possibility here. I personally don’t like the pick, but this would be a Telesco move - talented guy who can play multiple spots. And, in conclusion, definitely not Herbert and please not a QB. If you don’t resign Rivers give Stick his chance."

With the Senior Bowl wrapping up this Saturday as the final of the three college football all-star showcases, the next event we have to look forward to is the NFL Combine in Indianapolis. That’s...

Yes, hire an outside consultant for the draft
    61.54%
    No, no consultant needed. TT and staff are doing a fine job
    30.77%
    Other--see my answer
    7.69%
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

What team actually hires an outside consultant? That is exactly the purpose of a scouting department. If you need outside help, you need other scouts.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Ridiculous thread
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

The thing is, I don't think Lamp and Feeney were reaches, they just haven't panned-out. Guys with jobs like Tevi (a 6th) and Scott (U) weren't expensive. This part of it doesn't sound like it's on the scouting as much as it is the coaching, or TT himself for rolling with those guys.

I have wondered about medical evaluations and conditioning a lot over the years though... like drafting Tuerk for example.

Comment

• BearWithJetpack
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Less inclined to bring in a consultant and more inclined to just fire the entire scouting department.

Comment

• Tol
            From Accounting
            • Mar 2019
            • Carlsbad
            • Send PM

From what I've gathered watching interviews and reading articles over the years, is that Telsco and the organization look for OT prospects with the right height, length and athleticism, with a philosophy that the linemen be capable of playing on either side. They really want to put an emphasis on OT's being interchangeable from RT to LT, and believe this is the norm in today's NFL, and I think it really shows in the prospects they've brought in, ala Tevi, Scott, and Pipkins.

I have a feeling they will end up drafting another raw OT like Wanogho, and try to coach him up at both sides. And the OL struggles will continue.

So to answer the question, bringing in an outside consultant won't really matter until the philosophy from the GM and Org changes.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              What team actually hires an outside consultant? That is exactly the purpose of a scouting department. If you need outside help, you need other scouts.
              Well, before the Bolts hired TT, they did hire an outside consultant for advice. So, it has been done, at least for GM position...

Comment

• ChargingBolts
                Superbowl?
                • Sep 2018
                • Los Angeles/Chicago
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                Didn't some team hire an outside consultant from like an ex packer ron wolf? for like the Seahawks for their head coach search?

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

I think the thread starter should change his name to "Pollcat"...

See what I did there....
                  The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post

So to answer the question, bringing in an outside consultant won't really matter until the philosophy from the GM and Org changes.
                    It's all going to be a blame game unless the organization does something to make someone pleased. From the coaches, to the general manager, all the way to the top.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Utah
                      • Midnight Toker
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                      Ridiculous thread
                      Completely agree.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

I recommend NOT reading BFTB.
                        11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                        35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                        37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                        66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                        69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                        100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                        110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                        140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                        181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                        225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

Working...
                        X