• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PR#1
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Maybe you can make an argument that Rivers made our OL worse last season. But he definitely elevated seasons prior because of his quick release, ability to read defenses, and incredible pocket movements. When we couldn’t protect him from interior pressure, that’s when things got ugly. But that would be true for Brady, Brees, and Peyton as well.
    Very true. The Rivers that shows up in indy will be the 2018 Rivers. You all remember the come back at Arrowhead right ?

Chargers will get back to the playoffs but it will take a few years.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by RollingThunder View Post
      I want Rivers to do well too but you guys are wildly overestimating old man Rivers. This is not the same guy from a few years ago, good oline or not.

I'm also on record as saying that Rivers made our oline look worse than it actually was. We will learn alot on both ends this season.

I'll also gentleman bet you guys that an older Brady and a lesser oline will end up with a better record.
      Here they are!!! Scott / Feeney / Quessenberry / Schofield / Tevi

I just wanted to trot them out one final time to make you reconsider your position.

What healthy Oline would have any of these guys start for them this year?
      Their star lineman, Michael Schofield, just got a 1 year contract for peanuts with Carolina.
      The whole group might be out of football in two years

The offense was ranked #10 in total yards & #20 in total points, with poor special teams play & the beneficiary of very few turnovers. What would you have expected with an average starting qb last year?

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

I'll say it again, go back and rewatch Rivers play in the first & last game of the 2019 season; That's the Rivers you will see with Indy.
        Everything in between was a shit show.

Comment

• RollingThunder
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

After an off day for the players, the Indianapolis Colts returned to the practice field Friday for their fourth fully-padded training camp practice at the Indiana Farm Bureau Football Center. What were some of the top takeaways from the day?

Comment

• Originally posted by RollingThunder View Post
            I want Rivers to do well too but you guys are wildly overestimating old man Rivers. This is not the same guy from a few years ago, good oline or not.

I'm also on record as saying that Rivers made our oline look worse than it actually was. We will learn alot on both ends this season.

I'll also gentleman bet you guys that an older Brady and a lesser oline will end up with a better record.
            Our OL was the worst in the NFL and that caused our best player (Rivers) to be significantly less effective than he was the year before. Rivers' speedy recognition skills and his fastest release in the league made the offensive line look much better than it was in reality. Despite having below average to terrible OLs for a dozen years in a row, Rivers has been better than Brady for the last two years running.

Barring injury, Rivers will have a higher QB rating at the end of the year than Brady does (again) despite the fact that Brady has much better receiving options.

If the Bucs end up with a better record than the Colts, it will not be because of the wildly overrated Brady, though every media person from here to hell and gone will try to give Brady credit for any success that the Bucs have as they have always done.

The Patriots went 12-4 last year in spite of, not because of having the 19th ranked QB who could only complete 60.8 percent of his passes despite having a lowly 6.6 YPA (missing a lot, even on short, easy passes).

Comment

• Heatmiser
              HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

We owe Rivers a lot and he will always be one of my all time favorite Chargers. And his teammates owe him a lot, too. He made them all better.

But I will not miss the interceptions and I will not miss running the play clock down every snap in order to try to make every possible last minute adjustment. I really think because the DL knew when the ball would be snapped it negated all the chess playing. I think Lynn will get back to more Shottenheimer style, "we are running this and I don't care if you know it" offense. Will be frustrating in its own way, too.

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Our OL was the worst in the NFL and that caused our best player (Rivers) to be significantly less effective than he was the year before. Rivers' speedy recognition skills and his fastest release in the league made the offensive line look much better than it was in reality. Despite having below average to terrible OLs for a dozen years in a row, Rivers has been better than Brady for the last two years running.

Barring injury, Rivers will have a higher QB rating at the end of the year than Brady does (again) despite the fact that Brady has much better receiving options.

If the Bucs end up with a better record than the Colts, it will not be because of the wildly overrated Brady, though every media person from here to hell and gone will try to give Brady credit for any success that the Bucs have as they have always done.

The Patriots went 12-4 last year in spite of, not because of having the 19th ranked QB who could only complete 60.8 percent of his passes despite having a lowly 6.6 YPA (missing a lot, even on short, easy passes).
                When working with young OL with limited skills & experience, changing playcall / snapcount at LOS led to confusion / errors.

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

When working with young OL with limited skills & experience, changing playcall / snapcount at LOS led to confusion / errors.
                  They aren't worth their salt if they don't know the plays and their assignment. There are high school kids that can cope with that. Quit giving them an excuse - they didn't execute well - period! New OL coach and new players, it should be better this year.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                    They aren't worth their salt if they don't know the plays and their assignment. There are high school kids that can cope with that. Quit giving them an excuse - they didn't execute well - period! New OL coach and new players, it should be better this year.
                    LOL! No excuses involved. PR asked them to do stuff they weren't good at. Period.
                    Other wise I agree.

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

LOL! No excuses involved. PR asked them to do stuff they weren't good at. Period.
                      Other wise I agree.
                      Those young guys should be better this year simply because of what they learned last year. The only one I don't have much faith in is Tevi. I find it hard to believe that a guy who was a bad RT will become a good LT. Feeney will be better with Pouncy next to him but the LT position scares me.

I'm anxious to see the young guys. I'm high on Murray - he should help a lot with the short pass defense. He'll make mistakes but he'll improve as the season goes along. I'm anxious to see the players I hoped the Bolts would draft that are on other teams - it's the best way to know how good your evaluation is of the players in each draft. Bring on Football!

THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

When working with young OL with limited skills & experience, calling the blocking assignments for them on any given play still led to confusion / errors.
                        Topcat would have fixed it for you eventually.

Comment

• Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I disagree. Adjustments by Rivers improved play matchups and maximized the OL's chances to perform well. The situation would have been so much worse if Rivers were not there last year and the original play calls were just left out there to be crushed by opposing defenses.

Comment

Working...
                          X