• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

I disagree that Rivers was overthrowing Meachum. IMO, Rivers would put the ball somewhere that Meachum could go get it, and Meachum never adjusted to the ball or the defense. In the end, Rivers wouldn't throw him the ball anymore because he didn't trust him.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• MakoShark
      Disgruntled
      • Jun 2013
      • North Alabama
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
      I disagree that Rivers was overthrowing Meachum. IMO, Rivers would put the ball somewhere that Meachum could go get it, and Meachum never adjusted to the ball or the defense. In the end, Rivers wouldn't throw him the ball anymore because he didn't trust him.
      I agree. Meachum expected the ball to be delivered to him on a silver platter, he never went after the ball, fought for a jump ball or protected his QB. If anything I remember Rivers under throwing him a few of times and he failed to adjust to the ball. When Rivers did zip in a 'no brainer' he dropped it!
      sigpic

Comment

• OhioBolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

[QUOTE=Grinners;2517]The point is that the guy is not showing his worth versus his contract, he is not even starting, nor is he even top 3 or top 4. You have a rookie 3rd round pick that is projected higher than him. I don't think anyone is saying the guy sucks, but his production versus his cost is what gives the indication of his value, and at this point he is not worth keeping if a deal can be worked out.
        MM and Wiz will get him going as a 5th Reciever not a 1st, not a 2nd, nor a 3rd but a 4th at best. And you do trade a guy under these circumstances IF you can get something for him.
        1. Floyd -could be released or traded- No Way
        2. Alexander -injury prone -True
        3. Brown -potential star -True
        4. Allen -potential -True
        5. Royal -slot - possibly cut
        6. Meachem -black hole with potential ?????

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
          I agree. Meachum expected the ball to be delivered to him on a silver platter, he never went after the ball, fought for a jump ball or protected his QB. If anything I remember Rivers under throwing him a few of times and he failed to adjust to the ball. When Rivers did zip in a 'no brainer' he dropped it!
          this is part of the legacy/fallacy of Rivers as elite Chargers QB. It was extremely rare to have 2 large outside WRs in VJ & Floyd who would go up for jump balls time and again when many of the throws were simply near them- but not on target. IMO they made Rivers LOOK LIKE a whole lot better QB than he was/is. Most WRs don't have that size and do jump balls so well and Meacham was never advertised as that kind of WR coming in. This is where the adjustments needed to be made by both NOrv AND Rivers to fit this guy into the offense. How many drops that were right on target did he actually have?
          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• MakoShark
            Disgruntled
            • Jun 2013
            • North Alabama
            • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
            this is part of the legacy/fallacy of Rivers as elite Chargers QB. It was extremely rare to have 2 large outside WRs in VJ & Floyd who would go up for jump balls time and again when many of the throws were simply near them- but not on target. IMO they made Rivers LOOK LIKE a whole lot better QB than he was/is. Most WRs don't have that size and do jump balls so well and Meacham was never advertised as that kind of WR coming in. This is where the adjustments needed to be made by both NOrv AND Rivers to fit this guy into the offense. How many drops that were right on target did he actually have?
            Thats all true, dude, but WR's at this level have to fight for balls, make adjustments and protect their QB. Meachum seems to play like he's in Madden.
            sigpic

Comment

• sandiego17
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

How does the VJ/Floyd make Rivers look good explain 2010? Not buying that. You think Alexander made Rivers look good or the other way around?

Meachem had 14 receptions, that's not on Rivers or the offense or anyone (including Norval), that's on Meachem and I'm sure he knows it himself. We all want Meachem to excel, it would be great for the team, but to expect a guy who was never a primary target throughout his career to all of a sudden become one was a bit misguided. Maybe he becomes the 4th option like he was in NO, but is that worth his contract?

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                How does the VJ/Floyd make Rivers look good explain 2010? Not buying that. You think Alexander made Rivers look good or the other way around?

Meachem had 14 receptions, that's not on Rivers or the offense or anyone (including Norval), that's on Meachem and I'm sure he knows it himself. We all want Meachem to excel, it would be great for the team, but to expect a guy who was never a primary target throughout his career to all of a sudden become one was a bit misguided. Maybe he becomes the 4th option like he was in NO, but is that worth his contract?
                Definitely not worth it, but we have no other option but to eat it this year. Fully expect him off the team barring a monster year (which would be just fine as well). Maybe New England will take him for free!

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

NE has some cap room available.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                    NE has some cap room available.
                    They didn't gain any cap room by waiving Hernandez. The cap hit is equal to the dead money for 2013. Where it screws them is next season where the dead money is 2x what the cap hit would've been
                    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

Time to put a cap in this.. to hit this guy.. to take this cap hit.
                      Last edited by Mister Hoarse; 06-26-2013, 07:46 PM.
                      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                      sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                        No Sir, I Dont Like It
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Section 457
                        • Migrant Film Worker
                        • Send PM

Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X