POLL: Should The Bolts Trade Down From #6?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

POLL: Should The Bolts Trade Down From #6?

Should the Bolts trade down from #6 for an additional pick or picks? Pretty interesting story in BFTB on TT and trades/trade downs. He's only traded or traded down SIX times since he's been with the Chargers. Meanwhile, look what other teams have done:

Several good reasons why the Chargers should trade down

"Let’s get this out of the way right now: If the Los Angeles Chargers are going to trade down in the 2020 NFL Draft, general manager Tom Telesco will need to become a different person. I don’t know if that involves self-help books, daily meditation, deep introspection, or psychedelic drugs (whoops, I’m just referencing my own life at this point) but the Tom Telesco you know is not a general manager who makes trades.

You don’t have to be from San Diego to know that, you just need a computer device, the internet, and Pro-Football-Reference.com.

Since 2013, the Chargers have made six trades. Six. It’s an average of one per year, but Telesco made two in 2015 and two in 2017. In that same time span, the Seattle Seahawks have made ... 46 trades. FORTY. SIX. Argue all you want with how successful those trades have been for Seattle, the New England Patriots themselves made 17 trades ...

Last year.

They’ve made 60 deals since 2013. Do we simply want to believe that 100% of New England’s success comes from playing in the AFC East, or can some of it be attributed to organizational philosophies that led Belichick to make 10 times the number of trades as Telesco?

Telesco hasn’t made a trade since moving Dontrelle Inman to the Chicago Bears for a 2018 conditional draft pick that didn’t even convey."

MORE: https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/202...ks-rumors-mock
    Yes
    31.82%
    No
    50.00%
    Other--see my answer
    18.18%
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Pollcat, you know the answer to this

Depends on who is on the board and who was drafted ahead of us.
    Don't need a poll.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

unless we’re targeting a specific guy, yes.
      lots of conprable prospects in the lower teens to the top “blue chippers” this year with the exception of Okudah and Simmons (who both may be gone by 6!)
      .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
      .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
      .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
      .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
      .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
      .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
      .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
      .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
      .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

I am always willing to say "yes" when it is this far out and there are no details attach.

However, the details are EVERYTHING.

What could we get away with to trade up?

What can we get if we trade down?

Who is (still) available in the draft for our pick?

In the end. it is all about getting the best players. How that happens is (largely) irrelevant.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

If there is a player they really like, and there will be some very good players at 6, than they should take the player.

Comment

• Charge!
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            Should the Bolts trade down from #6 for an additional pick or picks? Pretty interesting story in BFTB on TT and trades/trade downs. He's only traded or traded down SIX times since he's been with the Chargers. Meanwhile, look what other teams have done:

Several good reasons why the Chargers should trade down

"Let’s get this out of the way right now: If the Los Angeles Chargers are going to trade down in the 2020 NFL Draft, general manager Tom Telesco will need to become a different person. I don’t know if that involves self-help books, daily meditation, deep introspection, or psychedelic drugs (whoops, I’m just referencing my own life at this point) but the Tom Telesco you know is not a general manager who makes trades.

You don’t have to be from San Diego to know that, you just need a computer device, the internet, and Pro-Football-Reference.com.

Since 2013, the Chargers have made six trades. Six. It’s an average of one per year, but Telesco made two in 2015 and two in 2017. In that same time span, the Seattle Seahawks have made ... 46 trades. FORTY. SIX. Argue all you want with how successful those trades have been for Seattle, the New England Patriots themselves made 17 trades ...

Last year.

They’ve made 60 deals since 2013. Do we simply want to believe that 100% of New England’s success comes from playing in the AFC East, or can some of it be attributed to organizational philosophies that led Belichick to make 10 times the number of trades as Telesco?

Telesco hasn’t made a trade since moving Dontrelle Inman to the Chicago Bears for a 2018 conditional draft pick that didn’t even convey."

MORE: https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/202...ks-rumors-mock
            Absolutely NOT!!!!

The teams that have success trading down like NE are trading down from the bottom of first round where picks are essentially early 2nd rounders as far as talent is concerned..... bellycheat traded late first round picks, NEVER top 5-10 picks.......

most experts say that there are only 15-20 players in the average draft that are truely special and worthy of a first round pick.......

Foolish teams trade down from the top 5-10 picks........ "great" players are what win championships....... not average players........ great organizations NEVER trade away great players for a couple of iffy so so players...... Stupid teams trade away great players like polomalu for a couple of scrub questionable DB's......like Chargers stupidly did......

Comment

• jubei
              Vagabond Ninja
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Absolutely NOT!!!!

The teams that have success trading down like NE are trading down from the bottom of first round where picks are essentially early 2nd rounders as far as talent is concerned..... bellycheat traded late first round picks, NEVER top 5-10 picks.......

most experts say that there are only 15-20 players in the average draft that are truely special and worthy of a first round pick.......

Foolish teams trade down from the top 5-10 picks........ "great" players are what win championships....... not average players........ great organizations NEVER trade away great players for a couple of iffy so so players...... Stupid teams trade away great players like polomalu for a couple of scrub questionable DB's......like Chargers stupidly did......
              OUCH! Or they trade up for the likes of so many and then try to convert them to something they're not! Sometimes I swear this team tries so hard to fit a square peg into a round hole! If what you're doing aint workin?...continue doing it until it works gosh darn it!!!

Comment

• Charge!
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

OUCH! Or they trade up for the likes of so many and then try to convert them to something they're not! Sometimes I swear this team tries so hard to fit a square peg into a round hole! If what you're doing aint workin?...continue doing it until it works gosh darn it!!!
                I agree with that.....

I posted before that bad organizations draft players and force them into a particular system ....

Great organizations go get a great QB, then build the right systems and players around them....... in other words, if we have a right handed QB, we need a great LT.....if we get a left handed QB, then RT becomes the more important tackle.....and if QB has a deep arm then get some speed at WR like KC did for mahomes.... Chargers for example have hired HC's and forced them to accept existing coaches and systems?..... which his not a great way to build a great team.....

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                  Pollcat, you know the answer to this

Depends on who is on the board and who was drafted ahead of us.
                  Don't need a poll.
                  Ah, but there is also the added variable of TT's reluctance to trade down and whether he needs to change things up from his past practice...agree that it does depend on who is left on the board, but there are other variables worth discussing. Judging by several of the replies, I think we're having a productive discussion so far here...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Ah, but there is also the added variable of TT's reluctance to trade down and whether he needs to change things up from his past practice...agree that it does depend on who is left on the board, but there are other variables worth discussing. Judging by several of the replies, I think we're having a productive discussion so far here...
                    I agree with Charge!
                    At 6 if three QBs are gone and Chase Young gone that leaves Simmons, Thomas, Bectin, Brown, and maybe Juedy.

Why trade down and miss out on these guys?

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I agree with Charge!
                      At 6 if three QBs are gone and Chase Young gone that leaves Simmons, Thomas, Bectin, Brown, and maybe Juedy.

Why trade down and miss out on these guys?
                      If Simmons is there at #6, I pick him. The others, if the Bolts have all those guys in their clusta, maybe I only trade down to #10 or so max to be sure I still snag one of them.

Comment

• ChargerBuckeye
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2020
                        • Send PM

Only if we get a 2021 1st rd pick. So a team like Miami perhaps may love a prospect enough to jump from 18 to 6, I'd take pick 18 and a 2021 1st if it means next year, we have a shot at Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍