Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

what’s telling is your name “Fouts fan”
    I bet you’re a bigger fouts fan than Charger fan
    now it’s playing out with Rivers
    not one single post here has ever suggested that Rivers alone was to blame or failed to acknowledge that this is a team game, yet you continue your narrative ad naseam
    but you’re right
    it WILL be telling
    because there will be posters like you criticizing everything our 2020 qb will do while continuing to make excuses for Rivers in Indianapolis
    You won’t be the only closet Charger-hater rooting against my team so I better get used to it

yes, MY team
    your player, my TEAM
    Lol Ill take that bet. Ill PM you my PayPal account so you can deposit the money there since you lost. Fouts was/is my favorite player and he was the reason I started following the Chargers but have been a fan ever since. Also you have not read any other of my posts on this subject so Ill let your plea for ignorance stand.

See the difference is, some people understand the game. I am not speaking just of the rules but the little nuances that the ball watching fans do not see. Its not to belittle those ball watcher fans but it is frustrating and funny to see people post things about Rivers or other players yet fail to see the why bad plays happen. So enjoy next season watching the ball but don't be too surprised when not resigning Rivers does not fix all the teams problems.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Rivers threw 20 interceptions in 2019. Previous career high was 12.

Most picks T-Mobile Taylor ever threw in a season was 6.

I know Taylor is limited, I've watched him play in Balt., Buffalo, and Cleveland. The difference is, he never had an offense designed to suit T-Mobile's strengths and I believe Shane Steichen is going to install just that. I'd rather punt and play field position and not deal with bone-headed throws by my QB. I know Coach Lynn feels the same way.
      Phil’s previous career high in INTs was 12?
      Hell he has thrown more than 20 before.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Taylor and Stick could potentially be the kind of players who pull a Trent Dilfer or Ben R (1st SB win where he was more of a liability than an asset). Maybe, although it is a stretch.

For that to really happen, you need a team like they had. Great attacking D that keeps teams backed up and can earn field position by sacks and force turnovers. Great ST who can give a weak offense a easier job scoring by reducing the distance they need to drive, and keeping the other team bottled up in their own end of the field. And a strong running game to take pressure off the QB and give them a chance to make some big plays off of play action. Does that sound like the Chargers?

Gus plays the wrong style of D for one. He is not an attacking D. You don't need to play an attacking D to be a great D. But a bend but don't break style (even with a more aggressive 1 gap DL) is going to give up some yards here and there. You need an O that can be explosive and consistent enough to make up for some poor field position.

Even if we did, the chances are against it. The Dilfer style QB just doesn't give much of a margin for error. Plenty of great defenses and great teams never won a SB because "something" just didn't break right for them, and they couldn't overcome some hurdle.

Comment

• SDBORN
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

The #1 overall pick was started? Color me shocked. Do you know what was bad in Cleveland? Everything.

It's about coaching, dude. You've got to trust Anthony Lynn/Shane Steichen will design an offense around Taylor's skill-set, not the other way around.
          We now have a mobile QB. I would like to see an offense predicated on getting the ball out of his hands quickly, to his playmakers, similar offensive philosophy to Matt Nagy's offense in Chicago.
          It's difficult to trust a guy who can't manage a clock after 3 years as a HC in the league. I also have to seriously question Lynn's personnel decisions and allegiances on more than one occasion.

As far as Shane goes, jury is still out. My guess, Lynn only goes as far as his coordinators take him.

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

I think I was trying making a reference to when Philip had a 32-12 TD/INT ratio in 2018. I made hash out of it and you're right to point it out.

I think we can all find mutual ground to agree 20 INTs is acceptable. If you are a rookie.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RivePh00.htm
              Year TD Int
              2004 1 0
              2005 0 1
              2006* 22 9
              2007 21 15
              2008 34 11
              2009* 28 9
              2010* 30 13
              2011* 27 20
              2012 26 15
              2013* 32 11
              2014 31 18
              2015 29 13
              2016* 33 21
              2017* 28 10
              2018* 32 12
              2019 23 20

AS someone else mentioned, and I have repeatedly mentioned, the issue is not JUST about Rivers throwing INT. Taylor has NEVER thrown a lot of int. He has always been very good about protecting the ball. However, he allows a lot of sacks, because he holds the ball. That field position adds up and can hurt as much as some of the turnovers do. Tyrod also has a tendency to not make any big plays. Some of that is clearly the product of not having very good receivers, but some of it is never taking any calculated risks. At some point in a game, with the game on the line, the QB has to take some chances or you just keep punting the ball away and the game just gets away from you. That is where a lot of Rivers turnovers came. I'm not thrilled with the fact that he turned the ball over, but at least he tried to make a play in those situations. Guys like Taylor never do.

I am fine with Taylor as a backup, because in large part, that is what backups are supposed to do. Just don't lose the game, because the star is out. But at some point we need a QB who is going to make some plays, and that is just not something Taylor can do as a starter.

Time will tell on Stick.

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post
                Wish Telesco wasn't so vague about this. Everybody and their uncle knows were going QB. I hope Telesco isn't dumb to lay his career on the line for Tyrod Taylor and Easton Stick.
                Go ahead and do your own QB search and you'll end up exactly where myself and a couple of others found themselves: With exception of blue chip QBs Burrow or Tua, every other QB I looked at I thought "The Chargers already have one of those on the roster."

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Lol Ill take that bet. Ill PM you my PayPal account so you can deposit the money there since you lost. Fouts was/is my favorite player and he was the reason I started following the Chargers but have been a fan ever since. Also you have not read any other of my posts on this subject so Ill let your plea for ignorance stand.

See the difference is, some people understand the game. I am not speaking just of the rules but the little nuances that the ball watching fans do not see. Its not to belittle those ball watcher fans but it is frustrating and funny to see people post things about Rivers or other players yet fail to see the why bad plays happen. So enjoy next season watching the ball but don't be too surprised when not resigning Rivers does not fix all the teams problems.
                  Nope, it won’t. But I won’t be scared every time we’re close to scoring, our QB will inexplicably - while engineering a damn good drive, with effective scoring weapons and multiple downs to try and succeed - go full-on rookie dufus and just chucks the ball to the other team, stupid throw after stupid throw, not even hero ball cuz just why? You are doing it, you are advancing then...self-stake in the heart. Yeah, team game, but that’s one guy I don’t need on my team if winning is the goal. 5-11, so many games right there and tossed away, literally. No QB should play that way. I’ll take a tuck-sack every play over stupid INTs. C’mon, Tyrod, bring it! 5-11, I’m down! Whoop!

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

one thing in Phil's favor if he does end up signing w/Tampa, is that his 20 INTs will pale in comparison to Winston's # of INTs, and if he improves upon that like most of us here believe, then they will likely be long forgotten/forgiven....
                    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Go ahead and do your own QB search and you'll end up exactly where myself and a couple of others found themselves: With exception of blue chip QBs Burrow or Tua, every other QB I looked at I thought "The Chargers already have one of those on the roster."
                      Did you look at Anthony Gordon...? He doesn't remind me of Stick or Taylor. 48 TD's last year (2nd only to Burrows).

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                        one thing in Phil's favor if he does end up signing w/Tampa, is that his 20 INTs will pale in comparison to Winston's # of INTs, and if he improves upon that like most of us here believe, then they will likely be long forgotten/forgiven....
                        Will slow starts out of the gate on the season leave with Philip too?

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

April is Liar's Month. Not in February and not to mention when you drafted a QB last year.
                          Yep...next thing u know, TT will say he likes our internal options at RB...and DT...and LB...and...

Comment

Working...
                          X