• Jun 2013
    • Send PM

DePalma

Verona native DePalma works to make San Diego Chargers roster
    Friday August 2, 2013, 3:19 PM
    BY CHRIS LEYDEN
    SPORTS EDITOR
    Verona-Cedar Grove Times
    Print | E-mail After spending the past two winters in the northeast with the New York Giants, Verona native Dan DePalma is hoping he weathers the coming cold months in the warm breeze of San Diego, as a member of the NFL's San Diego Chargers.

PHOTO COURTESY OF THE SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
    Dan DePalma sports his Chargers uniform at camp. "It's beautiful out here," DePalma said some 2,500 miles away from where he grew up. "The weather is always perfect."

Now DePalma is trying to catch on with the Chargers, who hired both a new coach and new general manager this offseason. The 24-year-old has impressed during mini-camp, even earning praise from the coaches on the Chargers website.

"I did what I had to do coming in. It's a new guy to a new system. You know you got to get on the coaches radar, hopefully in a good way. I think I did that," DePalma said.

New Head Coach Mike McCoy told the Chargers website that all of the receivers the team has brought in are in the best shape of their lives.

"He's done a nice job and he's made the most of his opportunities," McCoy said about DePalma.

The third year player has focused on learning the playbook, and thinks this may set him apart as everyone learns the new system. While DePalama is built like a typical slot receiver at 5 foot 11 inches and 192 pounds, he has focused on learning all the plays for two receiver sets as well.

"There is a lot of technique that you have to learn. A lot of film that you have to watch. The fact that everybody here was starting fresh with a new system really kind of helped me out, because the more you know, the more you can do, the more you will play," he said. "And I learned different positions, not just one receiver spot. So if you ever need somebody to go in I was able to just jump right into the role."

A graduate of West Chester University in Pennsylvania, DePalma spent the preseason of 2011 with the New York Jets before signing with the New York Giants in September 2011.

After winning the Super Bowl with the Giants in February of 2012, he stuck around with the team for parts of last season before signing with the Chargers in April.

Leading up to the Giants Super Bowl victory over the New England Patriots, DePalma was lauded for playing the role of the Patriots slot receiver Wes Welker in practice. The former Hillbilly hopes that his experience practicing and being around a Super Bowl winning team will be a selling point to the Chargers front office.

"I've been there, you know maybe I wasn't exactly on the field, but I did play a huge role on that Super Bowl winning team," DePalma said. "I'm not a rookie anymore. I know the ropes. I know what I need to do and what is expected of me. So I am going to take that, run with it, and hopefully take it to the next level."

The wide receiver also focused his efforts on special teams, where many fringe roster players in the NFL make a living. DePalma showed a knack for not only returning punts but also making tackles downfield during his time with the Jets in 2011.

"Special teams is a big part for a guy who would be a sixth or seventh receiver trying to make the team," DePalma said. "So I really got to step it up on special teams, know what I am doing, and hopefully make my way up the depth chart."

While DePalma says he has been watching tape of Welker and the Giants' Victor Cruz, both well known for their quickness, he also has spent some time with the Chargers working from the outside. DePalma noted that he is not only quick, but also has good downfield speed and can run past players.

He will have to be careful to not spread himself too thin though, something the receiver said is on his mind.

"There's a fine line," DePalma said. "You don't want to be an expert of all trades but a master of none."

The Chargers kick off their preseason schedule at home against the Seattle Seahawks on Aug. 8. There will be multiple rounds of cuts between then and the final cuts on Aug. 31.

"Hopefully I don't have to go through that process again," DePalma said.
    Go Rivers!
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Might be the strongest WR on the team. In 2011 had he gone to the combine he would have been top 3 in reps. Behind Greg Little and Niles Paul. For his size hes a beast. I think that will help him when a CB try's to get physical. Work ethic...route running ability..strength. Im almost certain he played both ways in college. Also a CB. Could have sworn i read that about him a couple years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
      Might be the strongest WR on the team. In 2011 had he gone to the combine he would have been top 3 in reps. Behind Greg Little and Niles Paul. For his size hes a beast. I think that will help him when a CB try's to get physical. Work ethic...route running ability..strength. Im almost certain he played both ways in college. Also a CB. Could have sworn i read that about him a couple years ago.
      DePalma played cornerback his first year at Division II West Chester in Pennsylvania before switching to wide receiver.
      ALBANY, N.Y. -- Wide receiver Dan DePalma is willing to do whatever it takes to make the team. He’s even offered to play cornerback.“I will do anything on the field that I can,” said DePalma, who spent last year on the practice squad as an undrafted free agent.

Here's the rest of the article:

DePalma willing to play DB if needed
      By Ryan Hayner | ESPNNewYork.com

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Wide receiver Dan DePalma is willing to do whatever it takes to make the team. He’s even offered to play cornerback.

“I will do anything on the field that I can,” said DePalma, who spent last year on the practice squad as an undrafted free agent. “If it means in nickel or safety or they need a spot for that, I will learn some defense. I will play offense, special teams; I will do whatever I have to do to fill a spot on the team.”

DePalma played cornerback his first year at Division II West Chester in Pennsylvania before switching to wide receiver.

“So it is not anything out of the realm of possibility,” he said. “Just teach me and put me out there and I will do it to the best of my ability. I am hoping to perform well enough in camp so that they don’t have that tough decision but if all else fails, I am just happy to be a part of this organization.”

The 5-foot-11, 192-pound receiver drew praise from coaches and players last year after playing the role of Wes Welker to help the team prepare for the Super Bowl.

“And I think it definitely helped our defense out,” DePalma said. “He didn’t really make many plays one-on-one against Antrel [Rolle]. He locked him down for the majority of the game. In my mind, I think I had accomplished my job and hopefully that will open some eyes. I know the coaches saw it on film in practice every day so that I hope that they realize I put the work in and am ready to step up to the next level.”

He also mimicked Julian Edelman as a defensive back.

DePalma sat out most of the spring after offseason hip surgery but said there have been no complications and he has been “100 percent every day.” The New Jersey native has made several nice catches throughout training camp, including a tough grab along the sideline Saturday.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Thanks SC. Im surprised Billicheck didn't scoop him up.

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

I hope he keeps doing well. Ideally he can replace Royal.

Comment

• TABF
            Por debajo del promedio
            • Jun 2013
            • SoCal
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
            I hope he keeps doing well. Ideally he can replace Royal.
            I'm rooting for the kid...but, he had the driz-ops today (bad).

Comment

• Boltdog
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Lunar Surface
              • Nutrition Consultant
              • Send PM

Originally posted by TBF View Post
              I'm rooting for the kid...but, he had the driz-ops today (bad).
              As TC moves forward and the vets start getting back into the swing of things, that's where a guy like DePalma really has to step it up with his performance on the field, or else fade from notice and get waived. We all thought a lot about Bryan Walters a few years back, and when he got a chance during the season he just didn't get it done. Hope DePalma has beeter luck, but can't figure how he can make the WRs squad as it stands, unless a few of the regulars get the injury bug again....
              Fighting for Carson...and Wilmington...ity:

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

keep him as a Special Teamer and backup CB since we are so thin there.
                Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

mike willie is better than him and he probably wont make it either. hopefully no one picks him up so we can stash him on the PS (willie that is. depalma is just another walters/martin/sump/etc)
                  Last edited by Antonio's Gates; 08-03-2013, 07:08 AM.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Unfortunately for him, we are deeper at WR than any other position on the roster. But we do have guys with a history of injuries so he might get a shot if someone goes down.

Comment

• SDFan
                      Woober Goober
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Dolores, CO
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
                      mike willie is better than him and he probably wont make it either. hopefully no one picks him up so we can stash him on the PS (willie that is. depalma is just another walters/martin/sump/etc)
                      guess you didn't notice he's also played CB? We're NOT deep there. The bottom 5 or so roster guys only see duty on STs anyways, so keep him for that and as reserve CB- and make sure he participates in defensive meetings and gets some snaps there in practice. Hopefully TT will be more skillful getting draft picks for guys we will not need at deep positions (like WR) than the last regime. I always hated watching NOrv's last cuts.
                      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                        guess you didn't notice he's also played CB? We're NOT deep there. The bottom 5 or so roster guys only see duty on STs anyways, so keep him for that and as reserve CB- and make sure he participates in defensive meetings and gets some snaps there in practice. Hopefully TT will be more skillful getting draft picks for guys we will not need at deep positions (like WR) than the last regime. I always hated watching NOrv's last cuts.
                        so what if he played cornerback for one season at a division 2 school? if he was so good at it, why did he switch to WR? if youre comparing the depth at CB to depalmas ability there, we are deep. cox,wright,patrick,williams and middleton are all better than him and have positions pretty secure.

Comment

Working...
                        X