POLL: Should The Bolts Trade Up For Tua?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

I wouldn't draft a QB in the first if it was up to me, but as you can see in my sig, I think the Bolts will take one. I'd try to build the team up around Tyrod for this year by drafting bpa If he fails (likely) then at least we'd have a more solid team for our new QB next year.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Again, I wouldn't draft Tua in the 1st round at all. Simply too much injury risk. At some point, later on, his risk vs reward thing will peak out, but unlike some other positions, we cannot carry 2 starting caliber QB on the roster, so Tua would have to prove at some point he can stay healthy, which he cannot behind a much more dominant line, and weaker pass rushers.

If someone wants to draft Hebert in the top 10, let them. I wouldn't, but that may just be me.

There are 3 things that factor into a players value, their injury risk, potential as a player and their production.

Hebert is a top 5 pick in terms of potential and injury risk (basically none that I am aware of). He has all the tools and if you can develop his technique, he could be one of the all time greats.

He is not a 1st round pick in terms of his production. He has some mechanical things that need cleaning up that really hurt his accuracy. His background in the offense has hurt his development, IMHO. He has many of the same issues that Marriotta had, in terms of timing and reads.
      I completely agree about Tua and his injury risk, but I still might have a hard time passing on him if he was available at 6. No way I trade up.

Comment

• Pointyearedog
        Humble Chargers Fan
        • May 2017
        • Golden Hill
        • Medical Devices Operations
        • Send PM

That is a tough one. But if the first 5 picks don't land Tua, what would that be telling you as a GM or owner?
        "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." --Frank Zappa

Comment

• Kingcrimson
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Pointyearedog View Post
          That is a tough one. But if the first 5 picks don't land Tua, what would that be telling you as a GM or owner?
          That there are other players who have similar or equal talent without the injury risk. Of course you take the safer pick. However, there will be a point where Tua’s talent is just so much greater than everyone else left.

Comment

• Pointyearedog
            Humble Chargers Fan
            • May 2017
            • Golden Hill
            • Medical Devices Operations
            • Send PM

Would I take Tua over a Hurts or that Morgan kid from FIU? Or do I make do with Taylor and pick an OL that will help shore up the turnstile?
            "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." --Frank Zappa

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Simplest thing for TT, wait and see if Tua drops. If not Simmons or OT, then Hurts at 37. Gotta believe those are the two QBs TT/AL like, cuz Taylor/Stick.

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

I say we go mostly in on defense and turn ourselves into top 3 D. Then sign winston. Why? because after he throws a stupid pick we have numerous three and outs and get the ball back! Lots of throwing lots of excitement! Lots of back and forth Folly! Good Fun! :>)
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• rikardo
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Recent mocks has Miami not picking Tua, and Chargers drafting Tua at 6
                  Hope we stay at 6 (do not trade up)
                  A .-Tua
                  B.- Simmons
                  C.- OT
                  D.- Trade down and pick OT

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

I have to say.......there are MANY here that were very down on Verrett for being hurt all the time, down on Perryman and wanted them to sign him to a vet minimum, down on Lamp...called him a bust, Henry...didnt want to resign him, etc....so i am like WTF, ... seeing posters here wanting to draft Tua KNOWING he is a China doll from COLLEGE! You think he is going to hold up in the NFL?

Just SMH seeing this. He is gonna be injured all the time too....say No to Tua, draft Simmons, Thomas, Herbert...trade down for Herbert...whatever. But dont draft Tua @ #6. He cant help you from the sideline or from the trainers room. He has shown he gets injured every season.

Some will say he may not get injured in the NFL...well Geezus, is that chance worth the 6th overall pick? I say Dang Gum, shooot hec No.
                    Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-11-2020, 06:38 PM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                      There's been a lot of talk about the possibility of the Bolts, in need of a QB, trading up for Tua. While there's no doubting Tua's talent, when you look at his injury history, and especially that last serious hip injury, it's several red flags following by a BIG red flag. Look at all of Tua's injuries so far:

March 2018: Tua Tagovailoa breaks his finger

October 2018: Tua Tagovailoa suffers knee injury

November 2018: Quad injury keeps Tua out of a game

December 2018: Tua Tagovailoa injures his left ankle

Against Tennessee, Tua Tagovailoa suffers another ankle injury

November, 2019: Tagovailoa suffered a dislocated hip with a posterior wall fracture

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...ne/4064454002/

On that last injury, there's more cause for concern:

"It’s the potential complications that make predicting a complete or full recovery back to pre-injury conditions difficult to determine at the moment.

“The thing that makes it uncertain is that when the hip dislocates and it fractures off part of the cup part of the hip joint,” Lowe explained Saturday, “(and) sometimes it disrupts the blood supply to the end of the femur — the lower leg part of the hip joint.”

That is what is called avascular necrosis (AVN) and is what forced legendary Auburn running back Bo Jackson to retire from both football and baseball in the early 1990s, and eventually led to severe arthritis and the need for a hip replacement at the age of 29."

Sorry, Tua looks like damaged goods to me, with a high likelihood of injury in the future.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ma/4234279002/
                      Dont see the broken wrist that Lamebardo mentioned. I think that was in practice when Hurts was starting? Not sure when that took place...or maybe it was the reported broken finger that was really a wrist?

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

this is not the 2004 draft.... there are not three franchise QBs here.

this is (much) more like the 2005 draft.... Alex Smith/Joe Burrow is the guy/apple of their eye, and.... Fromm is not Rodgers, but he is the other good QB that won't go near the top.

just don't think the other guys are worth the risk.... too much talent @OT, WR, WIL, RB to flush a(nother) pick away on a maybe QB ?? !!
                        RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• electricgold
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2020
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by rikardo View Post
                          Recent mocks has Miami not picking Tua, and Chargers drafting Tua at 6
                          Hope we stay at 6 (do not trade up)
                          A .-Tua
                          B.- Simmons
                          C.- OT
                          D.- Trade down and pick OT
                          I would be happy if the Chargers went all in on Tua, even if a trade up is necessary. If Tua get's drafted before the Chargers pick, go for Either Herbert or Love with the 1st pick, but again do what ever it takes to get Tua, and a QB with the first round pick. Guys its time to get a QB here now in this draft that can be the franchise QB. Otherwise you go after the Saints back up QB or the Texans QB in a trade. Bet Simmons is gone before 6, the OT should be there tho and the Chargers for sure need another OT.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍