POLL: Should The Bolts Trade Up For Tua?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Like Drew Brees, who will be a first ballot hall of famer? We aren't selling jeans, we need guys who can play, and guys that size can play. Not all of them, but not all the big guys can play either (see Ryan Leaf).

We don't know that Washington is actually considering Tua. They say they are, but given the NFL teams various disinformation tactics, who knows. Maybe they just want to see what we will give to trade up. If they make us think they want Tua, then they have more leverage. Maybe they can force another team to drive the price up too.

The question the Chargers have to decide is
    1). Can he play? This one is pretty easy.
    I think everyone thinks yes. The only question I have is can he teach himself to get rid of the ball sometimes, because he will hold the ball a long time, waiting until his receivers make a play. In the NFL, he is going to have to get rid of the ball more quickly, to avoid sacks. I think he will be fine, but it is something he will have to develop in his game (Burrow does too, FWIW, although he is better in that regard).

2). Can he stay healthy?
    4 major injuries in his last 2 seasons, and this in the shorter college season, where he wasn't even asked to finish every game, and behind the Alabama OL. I don't care about his current injury and if he will be ready this season. It is the injury history that makes it an issue.
    The Chargers didn't trade up for Brees, he fell to them in the 2nd round.
    If it's the case with Tua, go for him.
    My point is I don't want to waste picks for any QB. I would not have done it for Goff or Wentz too.
    Is it possible that T. Taylor or E. Stick can do what the 2nd rounder D. Lock did last year for DEN ? I wish.
    4-1, 7 TDs, 3 INTs, 89.7 QB rate in his first season.
    And if we remove his horrible game at KC, it would be more impressive.
    Please, Stick or Taylor, make it happen !

Comment

• SYB
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

I wouldn't touch him @ 6 if he's there. So that's a big FUCK NO on a trade up. Dude's a walking injury report.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

The Chargers didn't trade up for Brees, he fell to them in the 2nd round.
        If it's the case with Tua, go for him.
        My point is I don't want to waste picks for any QB. I would not have done it for Goff or Wentz too.
        Is it possible that T. Taylor or E. Stick can do what the 2nd rounder D. Lock did last year for DEN ? I wish.
        4-1, 7 TDs, 3 INTs, 89.7 QB rate in his first season.
        And if we remove his horrible game at KC, it would be more impressive.
        Please, Stick or Taylor, make it happen !
        A Personally, as far as Tua goes, I am not sure I would draft him with a 2nd round pick. Either you think the guy is going to stay healthy or not. I don't think he can. If that is the case, the risk reward thing kicks in, but at QB, the guy has to be on the field, and so it has to be a lot lower than a 2nd round pick for me.

AS far as just the talent part of him, he is the #2 QB in recent memory. Only Burrows is higher, and both are a lot better than the guys the last couple of years. He is as close as a sure thing that you can get (with the possible exception of Burrows). But again, the talent thing is not really the issue with him, it is the injury thing.

As far as Brees goes, his performance justified him being the best player in his draft class, and it isn't even close between him and the couple of other hall of fame caliber guys, (plus LT already in the hall of fame). HE helps overcome talent deficiencies at other positions and as well as has lasted so long that he is worth most other draft picks by a wide margin (4x the average NFL career, about 2x as long as most pro bowl caliber QB). That is additional value that they didn't have to go find another player to replace him.

As far as QB goes, regardless of the system being used, any offense we might run is going to have the QB making a ton of reads and that means whoever the QB is, is going to have every game in their hands. It is still the most valuable position in the game, because they touch the ball on almost every offense play.

People can keep pointing to how great they think Taylor is, but he is only a marginal starter and has a lot of flaws. He simply doesn't make any plays except when he scrambles and he is not a Lamar Jackson caliber runner. He is a decent backup, but he is not a starting caliber QB. He has proven it over and over again. He holds the ball too long, takes a fair number of sacks and spends a lot of 3rd downs checking down to players who have no chance at converting. And he simply doesn't make that many plays. He doesn't turn the ball over, but if he can't make plays too, then everyone else has to work a lot harder to overcome that "lack" of production.

Stick has the makings of a decent QB, but he has a long, long way to go. In preseason last year, he wasn't close to looking like a starting caliber NFL QB, or even a real NFL backup. He may have gone to a great program, but there are a lot of great division II college programs who occasionally put players (and a few hall of famers) into the NFL, but the majority of them are Kyle Emmanuel sort, not the next Andre Reed.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
          French Speaking Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Québec city
          • Send PM

Tua at 37 ? Impossible ! If it's the case, nfl teams have information that we don't. Tunsil's style ?
          You think there's no chance that Taylor or Stick can do what Lock did last year ? Not even a chance in 100 ?
          Back to 2001 draft, you take Brees at 5 ? And you lose LT ?
          Finally, how many QBs not drafted in first round have won the SB ?
          T. Taylor will have a better team behind him than he had in BUF.

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

I hope not. Guy can't stay healthy behind a good Alabama OL. He's going to flame out unless he finds a way to stay durable, which realistically is not something happens often for college players transitioning to the NFL.

Comment

• AK47
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
              So, why is it WAS is actually considering taking Tua at #2 ?

Chase Young is sitting right there,
              plus they just drafted Haskins, remember ?

Tua is within striking range for LAC @ #6.

Go get him !

I'm kind of torn. I mean how can I explain it? To quote the great R. Kelly before he got caught peeing on little girls....

"My mind is telling me noooo! but my body, my body is tellin' me yesss!"

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

So, people actually think Tua can stay healthy?

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  So, people actually think Tua can stay healthy?
                  I do. At least from serious injuries.
                  He needs to be coached up to give up on plays earlier to minimize his exposure, that’s how he got hurt his hip.
                  The good news is that he takes well to coaching.
                  and I can live with a few missed games from minor injuries.
                  No one is worried about his on-field play, if he busts as an injury case, I can live with that. At least we tried to swing for an elite level passing qb
                  .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
                  .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
                  .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
                  .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
                  .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
                  .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
                  .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
                  .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
                  .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• AK47
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2019
                    • Send PM

Thinking of a realistic yet best case scenario...If Tua averages say 2-3 missed games every season for say the next 5 seasons but puts up top 7 QB numbers. Is he worth a top 6 selection?

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                      Thinking of a realistic yet best case scenario...If Tua averages say 2-3 missed games every season for say the next 5 seasons but puts up top 7 QB numbers. Is he worth a top 6 selection?
                      I think if a qb is a big reason why you have a realistic shot at a championship for even 1 season, he is worth any pick.
                      imo people over-value picks primarily because HOFers/future HOFers dwarf any realistic expectations one could have a 20 year old kid.

Rivers gave us a shot to win a ring for several years
                      he would have been worth 3 first round picks imho
                      .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
                      .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
                      .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
                      .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
                      .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
                      .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
                      .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
                      .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
                      .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

that makes no sense..... you dont wait for the other teams to stumble of become so inept that you can beat them without a QB?????...... that makes zero sense......

and absolutely our priority is to win division, and in order to win division we must beat the chiefs........

The 49ers have an elite OL and an elite DL and they could not beat the chiefs because their QB was not elite........
                        The Chiefs won the game without an elite performance out of the QB position. Many non-elite QBs have been on Super Bowl winning teams and teams have won despite less than elite play from elite QBs.

There are no guaranteed elite QBs in this year's draft. Burrow and Tua are overrated. Herbert is underrated, but still not worth the #6 overall pick. The draft will be a fool's gold festival for some teams. I hope we are not among them. I have seen mock drafts that have us passing on Simmons to take a QB. Some even have us taking Love at #6, a QB that I would not draft until day 3 at the earliest, but probably not at all.

Teams are best built by taking the BPA at a position of some need, not by reaching for a QB when no QB in this year's draft is worthy of being selected in the first half of the first round.

Comment

• AK47
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I think if a qb is a big reason why you have a realistic shot at a championship for even 1 season, he is worth any pick.
                          imo people over-value picks primarily because HOFers/future HOFers dwarf any realistic expectations one could have a 20 year old kid.

Rivers gave us a shot to win a ring for several years
                          he would have been worth 3 first round picks imho
                          A clutch Tua makes sense in that we're in same division as KC. They've got a long term QB-HC situation set to score tons of points and win lots of games. The primary goal for TT is to build a championship caliber defense to keep games close as possible. (Scoring 40+ points usually bodes better for KC vs their opponents). You need A a team used to playing them tough defensively in their home and B a QB whom is clutch for when games are close. If we believe Tua is said clutch QB then he may be our pick.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍