POLL: Should The Bolts Trade Up For Tua?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I think the only thing worse than picking someone that on his best day is not worth the #6 overall pick is picking someone that is injury prone in addition to not being worth the #6 overall pick. So that would be hard pass on Tua at #6 overall.

I would much rather roll with Tyrod and get a player like Simmons than waste the #6 overall pick on a QB when none of the QBs in this year's draft are worthy of being selected #6 overall.
    Most people think there are 3 and some 4 QBs worth the top 6 pick.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
      Brock Bowers N.M.W.
      • Feb 2019
      • McLean Illinois
      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
      • Send PM

I think the only thing worse than picking someone that on his best day is not worth the #6 overall pick is picking someone that is injury prone in addition to not being worth the #6 overall pick. So that would be hard pass on Tua at #6 overall.

I would much rather roll with Tyrod and get a player like Simmons than waste the #6 overall pick on a QB when none of the QBs in this year's draft are worthy of being selected #6 overall.
      LOL....how about we just never draft a QB again, ever...:rofl:

Unless it's Trevor Lawrence....so when we miiss out on him next year, we will just have to wait until he plays out his career, grows old and dies, resurrects, and grows up again. 90 years sound about right?

Anybody who thinks the only way to get a QB is to get the #1 prospect in any years draft is someone who either wants the Bolts to suck bad enough to be picking #1, or wants to trade away the future on an unknown, assuming we don't get outbid, which the Chargers often manage to do.

Not saying we pick a QB this year, but to say none are worth the #6? Obnoxious...

The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Most people think there are 3 and some 4 QBs worth the top 6 pick.
        And they are wrong.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Yes. Trade up to Two for Tua. 21 was correct.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

And they are wrong.
            They aren't wrong, they just have a different opinion than you and IMO at least a couple of them do quite well.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Unless it's Trevor Lawrence....so when we miiss out on him next year, we will just have to wait until he plays out his career, grows old and dies, resurrects, and grows up again. 90 years sound about right?

Anybody who thinks the only way to get a QB is to get the #1 prospect in any years draft is someone who either wants the Bolts to suck bad enough to be picking #1, or wants to trade away the future on an unknown, assuming we don't get outbid, which the Chargers often manage to do.

Not saying we pick a QB this year, but to say none are worth the #6? Obnoxious...
              Evidently, even the number one prospect this year isn't a franchise QB so I guess we could wait forever since evidently this mythical QB doesn't come along very often.

Comment

• Classic
                Hall Of Fame
                • Dec 2014
                • Send PM

He'll say the same thing next year too if Lawrence has a bad game or two. I guess were supposed to be happy about not improving the QB because we could at some point draft a bad QB. Reeks of fear and not taking a chance on a guy.

Comment

What is obnoxious is all of the ridiculous Burrow and Tua hype as it relates to their potential NFL future. What is hilarious is that exactly zero QBs drafted #1 overall this century have lived up to their hype and yet the QBs keep getting overhyped. They are overdrafted as a rule and I am fine with that being the problem of other teams.

I believe in taking the BPA at a position of need. Burrow has arm shortcomings and his only season of any note came when he played for an absolutely loaded team (arguably 11 top 100 NFL draft prospects for this year's draft) in a particular system that produced wide open receivers all the time. He also failed to beat out a QB at Ohio State that has proven so far to be entirely mediocre at the NFL level.

I am not saying that Burrow cannot or will not succeed at the NFL level, but it is crystal clear to me that he is far from enough of a certainty to warrant even the #6 pick much the less the #1 overall pick.

People want to compare him to QBs with lesser arms, but good vision and accuracy like Joe Montana. Fine, let's do that from the standpoint of before the draft, which is where we are now with Burrow. The 49ers drafted Montana in the third round. NFL teams know that for every Montana there are dozens with a similar athletic profile that do not fare as well at the NFL level. The risk is not worth a higher pick, which is why he was taken in the third round.

With Tua, you can add to his not being all that good the fact that he is injury prone. The Jason Verrett comparison is a good one in that Tua, who is overvalued on his best day as a top 6 pick, needs to be ranked down even further because of his injury history. I do not think it would be unreasonable for teams to lower him to a day 3 round due to his injury history. Some team will reach for him and that is fine. Let their Tua version of Verrett be that team's problem.

Even without the injury issue, there are comparisons to Russell Wilson. Again, that is fine as long as we recognize that for every Wilson, there are dozens with a similar athletic profile that do not fare as well. That is why he was taken in round 3 also.

To be clear, I am not suggesting that Burrow and Tua are round 3 players, but I am definitely not taking either with a top 6 pick.

I think Herbert is the most talented of the QBs in this year's draft class and that he is actually undervalued by some that have him as a second round pick. Some of the criticisms of Herbert's game seem wildly overstated, especially in comparison to the overlooking of some pretty obvious adverse issues involving Burrow and Tua done by some of those same critics. Herbert seems like a worthwhile second half of the first round pick.

And Love at #6, which I have seen in a couple of mock drafts, is just stupid.

So, yes, none of the QBs named above are worth the #6 draft pick. We have other positional needs--OL, DL, LB, CB and there are very good players at all of those positions that I would draft before selecting any of the QBs.

I swear, only Bengals dumb would take Burrow over Chase Young.

And I will have some unfriendly words to say about our front office if Simmons, Brown or Okudah are on the board at #6 and we reach for one of the QBs. The only thing even worse than drafting a QB at #6 would be trading up and wasting even more draft capital to take one of these QBs whose risk factors do not justify such a draft selection.

Comment

Originally posted by Classic View Post

He'll say the same thing next year too if Lawrence has a bad game or two. I guess were supposed to be happy about not improving the QB because we could at some point draft a bad QB. Reeks of fear and not taking a chance on a guy.
                    I have consistently said that Trevor Lawrence is a QB that is worthy of the #1 overall draft choice when he comes out next year. I think he has the most potential of any QB planning to enter the NFL draft that I recall seeing in the entire time I have been following the NFL (45+ years). Is that clear enough?

Lone Bolt is correct, though, in his statement to the effect that only one team will get Lawrence and it may well not be us. We will have to draft at our QB of the future at some point, but this year's QBs are not worth the #6 overall pick and I do not favor reaching for a QB when there are some blue chip prospects at other positions that may be available when it is our turn to draft.

Comment

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

They aren't wrong, they just have a different opinion than you and IMO at least a couple of them do quite well.
                      Since my opinion is mine, I believe their opinion to the contrary is wrong. Fair enough?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Is anyone concerned about Tua's arm strength?

Comment

• Charge!
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                          Is anyone concerned about Tua's arm strength?
                          Before injury, he was viewed as hands down the number one QB in country..... his arm is plenty strong enough...... he does not have a rocket arm but he has the shortest and quickest release of anyone in the draft.... and he is extremely accurate at all ranges, and very clutch....... against toughest competition..... and he has done that since he was a freshman.....

Burrow had greatest season of all time for one season.... also against the best defenses in the nation...... including dominating clemson with next year's star QB.....

Comment

Working...
                          X