POLL: Should The Bolts Trade Up For Tua?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

So, why is it WAS is actually considering taking Tua at #2 ?

Chase Young is sitting right there,
    plus they just drafted Haskins, remember ?

Tua is within striking range for LAC @ #6.

Go get him !

Have you seen the throws he makes ?

Accuracy matters more than your quackery.

2019...the year we tanked for Tua,
    and didn't even know it.

The news is that every year there are prospects you drool over,
    but we won't take,
    because we took somebody else instead.
    You don't know ball

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Current HC in WAS did not draft Haskins. May not want to tie his tenure to him. Or, smoke screen to drive trades.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
        Who would trade up for something like a mix of Jason Verret and Doug Flutie ?
        Like Drew Brees, who will be a first ballot hall of famer? We aren't selling jeans, we need guys who can play, and guys that size can play. Not all of them, but not all the big guys can play either (see Ryan Leaf).

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
        So, why is it WAS is actually considering taking Tua at #2 ?
        We don't know that Washington is actually considering Tua. They say they are, but given the NFL teams various disinformation tactics, who knows. Maybe they just want to see what we will give to trade up. If they make us think they want Tua, then they have more leverage. Maybe they can force another team to drive the price up too.

The question the Chargers have to decide is
        1). Can he play? This one is pretty easy.
        I think everyone thinks yes. The only question I have is can he teach himself to get rid of the ball sometimes, because he will hold the ball a long time, waiting until his receivers make a play. In the NFL, he is going to have to get rid of the ball more quickly, to avoid sacks. I think he will be fine, but it is something he will have to develop in his game (Burrow does too, FWIW, although he is better in that regard).

2). Can he stay healthy?
        4 major injuries in his last 2 seasons, and this in the shorter college season, where he wasn't even asked to finish every game, and behind the Alabama OL. I don't care about his current injury and if he will be ready this season. It is the injury history that makes it an issue.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Like Drew Brees, who will be a first ballot hall of famer? We aren't selling jeans, we need guys who can play, and guys that size can play. Not all of them, but not all the big guys can play either (see Ryan Leaf).

We don't know that Washington is actually considering Tua. They say they are, but given the NFL teams various disinformation tactics, who knows. Maybe they just want to see what we will give to trade up. If they make us think they want Tua, then they have more leverage. Maybe they can force another team to drive the price up too.

I think everyone thinks yes. The only question I have is can he teach himself to get rid of the ball sometimes, because he will hold the ball a long time, waiting until his receivers make a play. In the NFL, he is going to have to get rid of the ball more quickly, to avoid sacks. I think he will be fine, but it is something he will have to develop in his game (Burrow does too, FWIW, although he is better in that regard).

2). Can he stay healthy?
          4 major injuries in his last 2 seasons, and this in the shorter college season, where he wasn't even asked to finish every game, and behind the Alabama OL. I don't care about his current injury and if he will be ready this season. It is the injury history that makes it an issue.
          Based on Tua's injury history, I'm going to say that an NFL injury comp to Tua would be someone like Tony Romo. Romo saw significant action in 11 total seasons. Three of those seasons were severely impacted by injury. So, I'm going to guess that wherever Tua ends up, he probably has some, maybe several full or near full starting seasons. But he will probably miss a lot of time, probably impacting large parts of, or entire seasons. I certainly wish the best for him, but based on injury history, I think there's a high statistical probability this happens.

image.png

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

2). Can he stay healthy?
            Liar's month.

I would say this talk is fueled by the increasingly optimistic medical reports coming in on Tua.

Chase Young/Ron Rivera has been considered a no brainer,
            even with their existing population at DE.

My guess is that Snyder will realize that Tua is a huge upgrade over his pet player, Haskins.
            You don't know ball

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Liar's month.

I would say this talk is fueled by the increasingly optimistic medical reports coming in on Tua.

Chase Young/Ron Rivera has been considered a no brainer,
              even with their existing population at DE.

My guess is that Snyder will realize that Tua is a huge upgrade over his pet player, Haskins.
              Please do washington. It will save us from drafting the next verret type player.
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Sb4Rivers
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2019
                • Send PM

Lynn is not a QB development coach. And we don’t have anyone to develop a high top 6 QB pick.

what if chargers are looking to trade #6 pick to build other positions? This would let Lynn show what he can do with tyrod type!

If Lynn fails (I bet) we get a better pick, if he is successful we are stuck.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Sb4Rivers View Post
                  Lynn is not a QB development coach. And we don’t have anyone to develop a high top 6 QB pick.

what if chargers are looking to trade #6 pick to build other positions? This would let Lynn show what he can do with tyrod type!

If Lynn fails (I bet) we get a better pick, if he is successful we are stuck.
                  The more likely situation if we went with Taylor and drafted another position is that we would be between 7 and 9 wins and stuck in the middle where we aren't a playoff team, but don't suck bad enough to get a good QB next year. Kicking the can down the road on the QB is not a good strategy.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Please do washington. It will save us from drafting the next verret type player.
                    I just went and looked at Dwayne Haskins college tape. If they draft Tua we need to see if we can get haskins for a second rounder. Is there something fundamentally wrong with haskins or is he salvageable?
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The more likely situation if we went with Taylor and drafted another position is that we would be between 7 and 9 wins and stuck in the middle where we aren't a playoff team, but don't suck bad enough to get a good QB next year. Kicking the can down the road on the QB is not a good strategy.
                      But the fact still remains that if you want to see your high profile young qb develop, A Lynn is not the guy.
                      And i'm not sure why, with Taylor, you automatically give them 7 - 9 wins next year.

If you anticipate firing Lynn next year, then it would make some sense.

Comment

• Sb4Rivers
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I agree, but chargers really don’t have the staff to develop a QB. Heck they can’t even Develop OL nor teach LB to wrap and Tackle.

Chargers need to bring in a QB Guru should they draft QB at 6.

Tyrod at best wins 4-6 games. Maybe 7.

Would you as a GM keep Lynn and his QB we dragged from the Bills, paid and feed for 3 year to put up 7 wins?

we all can probably agree, we have enough skilled players for a mobile QB to be successful.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                          And i'm not sure why, with Taylor, you automatically give them 7 - 9 wins next year.
                          I don't automatically think they win 7 to 9 games, but think that is about the ceiling. Not spending a pick on a QB who likely won't play next year and instead on a player who can contribute, along with getting some injured guys healthy (who knows if they stay healthy) and some cap money can improve the roster from what we had last year.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍