• Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
    I'm wondering back how many older vets of quality acquired, for seemingly short term, have impacted this teams reach for the playoffs and beyond recently. I mean, that window has sorta opened and closed a few times now. One more time to try, I suppose. Here's to our new 2 year window of opportunity and starting from scratch without a franchise QB and a cowbell at RB position.
    The blocking was so bad that the offense looked one dimensional no matter who was QB. With better blocking even average QB will look a lot better.
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
      Harris in slot...King at FS?
      I think the idea is to move King to play dime LB/S spot (2nd slot position that often stacks behind the DL), with Harris as the true slot CB.

Remember, the Chargers seem to like the progress made by Jenkins, since he was a "Top 5 FS" according to AL. PFF ranked him as the 5th best coverage S in the NFL last year, backing that up. Despite that, I also expect that Adderley will be given a chance to win the FS job.

While Harris was fairly cheap as CB go, I still expect him to start outside in the base D, then slide inside. You don't leave the better CB off the field just because he plays better in the slot. They will want to get as much value from the signing as we can, and that means getting Harris on the field as much as possible. To maximize Harris' impact, he should move inside in the nickel and let Davis and Facyson battle it out at the outside CB, unless we can find someone as a late cut or something, or use a top draft pick on the spot.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Steve how about Teamer ?
        We do have a nice six at DB.
        You don't know ball

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I think the idea is to move King to play dime LB/S spot (2nd slot position that often stacks behind the DL), with Harris as the true slot CB.

Remember, the Chargers seem to like the progress made by Jenkins, since he was a "Top 5 FS" according to AL. PFF ranked him as the 5th best coverage S in the NFL last year, backing that up. Despite that, I also expect that Adderley will be given a chance to win the FS job.

While Harris was fairly cheap as CB go, I still expect him to start outside in the base D, then slide inside. You don't leave the better CB off the field just because he plays better in the slot. They will want to get as much value from the signing as we can, and that means getting Harris on the field as much as possible. To maximize Harris' impact, he should move inside in the nickel and let Davis and Facyson battle it out at the outside CB, unless we can find someone as a late cut or something, or use a top draft pick on the spot.
          Steve, do you see us drafting a CB on day 1 or 2?
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Depends on how much he develops. He might be good enough to be the LB type of guy in Phillips old role, and backing up James at SS. But with King and Harris both being pro bowl caliber players in the slot, it is hard to think that anyone is going to force them out of the lineups.

The one thing to be certain of, if we draft a DB, it will almost certainly be at outside CB. People can complain about Jenkins all they want, but outside CB (Davis and Facyson) were the weakest position in our secondary, by a pretty fair margin. They will also want to give Adderley a chance to compete for a starting job at FS, and that gets tough with 3 guys splitting time at one spot in TC.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Steve, do you see us drafting a CB on day 1 or 2?
              It is not as big a need as QB or OL, so probably not.

But we know that TT at least talks a big game about not wanting to draft for need.

Simmons would not be a need either, and he is a rare athlete, and I keep liking the things we could do with him. The other LB we have are all "pieces" guys. They have pieces to their game, but none are complete players. Every team needs 1 complete LB to be the MLB in the dime. Simmons would excel at that, being moved from Will LB in the base D and nickel, or Mike LB in the dime. Plus, stick him behind Joseph, it would be tough to get a blocker on Simmons before he could run by (the blocker).

My only concerns are that players like Simmons can cause some problems if the DC gets too cute, or makes the D too complicated to get the second impact player (besides James) moved to get mismatches. The flip side of that same argument is that with 2 impact guys at the same level of the D, if you avoid one, you pretty much are going to the other one, so one or the other will be is position to make some big plays. So, I think that SImmons is a pretty safe bet.

Again, the huge need at OL, QB and late day 2 starts to be a good time to start thinking RB. BY the time you get out of the 1st round, that is where the obvious bump and run, shutdown type CB types are taken. CJ Hnderson and Okudah are those types of guys. There are some other guys, but they didn't have the best 40 times, so they may slip into the late 1st or the top of the 2nd round.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Agree, CB shouldnt be a high priority and Simmons would be a great addition to the defense. Will be tough to decide if he and Herbert or Tua is there as well. However, if Lynn really wants Hertz then....easy decision on Simmons but damn hard to pass on a LT too. Maybe he will SHOCK us all and trade down for the first time in his tenure.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

It is not as big a need as QB or OL, so probably not.

But we know that TT at least talks a big game about not wanting to draft for need.

Simmons would not be a need either, and he is a rare athlete, and I keep liking the things we could do with him. The other LB we have are all "pieces" guys. They have pieces to their game, but none are complete players. Every team needs 1 complete LB to be the MLB in the dime. Simmons would excel at that, being moved from Will LB in the base D and nickel, or Mike LB in the dime. Plus, stick him behind Joseph, it would be tough to get a blocker on Simmons before he could run by (the blocker).

My only concerns are that players like Simmons can cause some problems if the DC gets too cute, or makes the D too complicated to get the second impact player (besides James) moved to get mismatches. The flip side of that same argument is that with 2 impact guys at the same level of the D, if you avoid one, you pretty much are going to the other one, so one or the other will be is position to make some big plays. So, I think that SImmons is a pretty safe bet.

Again, the huge need at OL, QB and late day 2 starts to be a good time to start thinking RB. BY the time you get out of the 1st round, that is where the obvious bump and run, shutdown type CB types are taken. CJ Hnderson and Okudah are those types of guys. There are some other guys, but they didn't have the best 40 times, so they may slip into the late 1st or the top of the 2nd round.
                  Solid take as usual.
                  QB is the obvious pick at #6. If the QB prospect the organization is all in on is available then a true no brainer.
                  Simmons is my #1 overall prospect so i would be pleased if we select him.
                  Gladney, Diggs, and Terrell are guys in my top 50 at CB. I was unimpressed w/several CBs timed speed after excellent tape on Arnette, Samuels, Green, and Dantzler. Definitely some day 3 CBs I covet such as R. Robinson, T. Pride, S. Thomas-Oliver, L’Jarius Sneed, D. Acy, D. Jackson.

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                    Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                    • Feb 2019
                    • McLean Illinois
                    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                    • Send PM

I'll confess my ignorance of what type of DB Harris is going to be, playing for the Chargers...I had assumed we upgraded the outside opposite Hayward...King's play falls off, then he gets in trouble with coach late in the season...is there real trouble here, or do they see King as a valuable and versatile piece? Maybe even playing some FS?

But now that I have an idea of where Harris will be playing, it changes my board a teeny bit...QBs and Simmons gone at #6, I could definitely see Okuda in bolts next season. I think us fans forget just how important it is to have a talent out on that island, and how hard that talent is to get our hands on.

QBs
                    Simmons
                    Okuda
                    Jeudy
                    Brown
                    OTs
                    The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

• Shock&Awe
                      Great White North
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

The hot takes on the internet(not necessarily here) about Chris Harris being old and a wasted signing are really funny. He'll be 31 come September. It's not like he's a 36 year old corner. Patrick Peterson's a year younger and still looks great. Richard Sherman is 32 in a few days and he's still locking down receivers. Stephon Gilmore's 30 this year and still at a high level. I can go on.

He's a good addition for us, can still ball out but also is a skilled, vet presence to add to that young group of DBs which is even more valuable for the long term.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Outside CB tend to fade pretty quickly after they hit 30. Slot guys can too, but there are still some who can hang on a while. And even some outside CB who can last a while. But if we keep playing zone D, then any drop in speed after 30 can easily be made up with being crafty.

Mostly I would like to see if he can help Michael Davis develop. He has some skills, but doesn't always play like it. We need a higher level of play at the outside CB. Harris might not add much to the position, but he might help someone develop as a vet presence in the meeting room.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Depends on how much he develops. He might be good enough to be the LB type of guy in Phillips old role, and backing up James at SS. But with King and Harris both being pro bowl caliber players in the slot, it is hard to think that anyone is going to force them out of the lineups.

The one thing to be certain of, if we draft a DB, it will almost certainly be at outside CB. People can complain about Jenkins all they want, but outside CB (Davis and Facyson) were the weakest position in our secondary, by a pretty fair margin. They will also want to give Adderley a chance to compete for a starting job at FS, and that gets tough with 3 guys splitting time at one spot in TC.
                          In case Loyal Lynn keeps Rayshawn as starting FS, Adderley can play outside corner. He was a CB his first two years in college, before switching to safety his junior year.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍