Clear All
  • SuperCharged
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Utah
    • Midnight Toker
    • Send PM

Bye Adrian

Chargers safety Adrian Phillips reportedly agrees to a contract with Patriots

Jeff Miller
    LA TimesMarch 19, 2020, 5:33 PM MDT Chargers safety Adrian Phillips celebrates after intercepting a pass from Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson. (Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times)
    The Chargers lost a key member of their secondary Thursday when safety Adrian Phillips reportedly agreed to a two-year contract with New England.

An All-Pro on special teams in 2018, Phillips has a game marked by versatility, the sort that allowed him to play linebacker when the Chargers went to their dime defense.

He opened last season as the team’s starter at strong safety after Derwin James was injured in August.

Phillips started twice before suffering a broken arm in Week 2 at Detroit. He made it back for the final five games.

Undrafted out of Texas in 2014, Phillips was on and off the Chargers’ active roster his first two seasons. He was cut by the team eight times before finding stability in 2016, when he appeared in 14 games.

He also was considered to be one of the Chargers’ most heady players because of his knowledge of the defense and ability to align his teammates when necessary. Coach Anthony Lynn called Phillips “the captain” of the secondary.

Desmond King, who mostly has played slot cornerback, has the ability to also line up at safety.

The Chargers on Wednesday agreed to terms with one of the league’s premier slot corners, Chris Harris Jr., a 2016 All-Pro and four-time Pro Bowler as the position.

I like Phillips, but I do not think he held that much value for the team going forward outside of special teams, though I agree with Lynn's take concerning Phillips. Phillips has good knowledge and play recognition, but is not the most athletically gifted player. I think Phillips likely would have been looking at a reduced number of defensive snaps this season if everyone were healthy.

Comment

• jubei
      Vagabond Ninja
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

thanks AP. I liked him cuz he was just a go-to-work kinda guy.

Comment

• Jorgecasas10
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Mar 2020
        • Send PM

Really intelligent player and a hard worker, good luck with the patriots belichick will make the best of you

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Jorgecasas10 View Post
          Really intelligent player and a hard worker, good luck with the patriots belichick will make the best of you
          we have the same friggin mock!!

:youaretheman:

Comment

• Jorgecasas10
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

we have the same friggin mock!!

:youaretheman:
            Lets hope it happens jajaj
            ita a dream scenario

Comment

• WindsorUK
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Windsor, U.K.
              • Send PM

Bummer. I like Adrian.
              Bring on Simmons!!!!!!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

He was pretty decent in his role but we can do better. He wasn't the fastest DB either and was bad as a safety. Simmons would be a big upgrade and Tranquil can do his job too.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍