Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

Tourek Williams

From the UT.

Opportunity has smiled on rookie Tourek Williams since the Chargers drafted him in the sixth round.

When Melvin Ingram suffered a torn ACL in May, Williams joined the first team for several practices. Then newcomer Dwight Freeney took over at weak outside linebacker, allowing Williams to learn from a seven-time Pro Bowler.

For additional pointers, Williams can chat up Jets edge rusher Antwan Barnes, who two years ago led the Chargers in sacks and knows coordinator John Pagano's defense. Barnes and Williams are alums of Florida International University.

Any and all aid is welcomed, given the task confronting Williams. He is learning not just the NFL game but a new position after playing end in college, and his typical foe is the left tackle, where teams put their best pass blocker.

“I’ll be great at it once I get it down,” Williams said.

Chargers right guard Jeromey Clary, a sixth-round selection out of Kansas State in 2006, is entering his fifth season as an NFL starter, but 16 of the Chargers' other 17 sixth-rounders taken since 1996 never started most of the games in a season.

Williams is expected to have a good shot at making the team and helping on special teams, at the least. Can he someday become a force off the edge?

In recent practices, the 6’ 4, 262-pounder made plays as a run defender but as a pass rusher struggled to disengage from long-armed Michael Harris, who is at right tackle with the second team and left tackle as the No. 4 option.

A potential starter with exciting ability is how both Freeney and Jarret Johnson, the other starter at outside linebacker, described Williams.

“He’s a quick, nimble guy with a lot of upside,” Freeney said. “He has a lot of bend and agility."

Freeney added: “It’s funny, he did some moves that I said, ‘Whoa, it looked like looking in the mirror a little bit.’ ”

Johnson began his NFL career as a defensive tackle with the Ravens and made the move to outside linebacker. A stout run defender, the 11-year veteran described Williams as a "physical" combatant who should be "good to have on the edge” containing the run.

“And then, he’s got a little wiggle to him, so hopefully he’ll be a good pass rusher for us,” Johnson said. “He has zero experience because it’s his first year, but he does a lot of natural things that you see really good players do. I’m really excited about him.”

Williams said he got most of his sacks in college by bulling past blockers or making speed-to-power moves. He is working to develop other maneuvers, while drawing on energy reserves that scouts said boosted his draft stock.

“I keep going all day long,” he said. “As long as I’m going, I know my opponent will get tired. I’ve got the will to win. Have always had it.”

Not only on the football field but in the swimming pool did Williams defeat opponents in high school. As a senior at Miami's Norland High, he decided to play water polo.

“I saw an opportunity to get in the pool and just chill out,” he said.

He soon discovered there's seldom “chilling out” in water polo.

But Williams, a strong swimmer and lifeguard, asserted himself in the water. Along with other football players who joined the team, he revived Norland's water polo program.

Williams said the water polo team had gone 10 years without one victory before he helped end the drought.

Ten years? “Ten years,” he said.

The Chargers in the last decade have won five AFC West titles and managed seven wins last year. They may need Williams and the rest of Tom Telesco's six-player draft class to carry them. But Freeney is 33, Johnson is 31 and Ingram will be coming off reconstructive surgery. Larry English, an outside linebacker and former first-round pick, seeks a breakthrough season. Also in OLB mix going into the Aug. 8th exhibition against the Seahawks are former Panther Thomas Keiser, who is nearly identical in size to Williams, and undrafted free agents Devan Walker and Frank Beltre.

“I look forward to helping out the depth,” Williams said. “What happened to Melvin, that’s something you can’t control. I’m sorry it happened. But like Coach McCoy told us: next man up. You aren’t going to step into his place, but just do a good job to help the veterans out.”
    More fluff, but some good quotes in there. The struggling to disengage comment is spot on from what I've seen. He has a very, very good burst off the line, but he needs to learn technique to finish his pass rush. Freeney is probably blowing some smoke up our ass, but it's good to hear nonetheless.
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Reminds me of Shawn Phillips his first year.
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

hes one of the main guys im interested in seeing this preseason.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Sounds like he's a few seasons away
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
          Sounds like he's a few seasons away
          Definitely seems that way.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
            Definitely seems that way.
            I'm obviously rooting for him. He just seems a one trick guy that's gonna take some time

Barnes took a lot of time. It can be done. Hopefully he makes the team and they throw him out there for some plays
            Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

"Any and all aid is welcomed, given the task confronting Williams. He is learning not just the NFL game but a new position after playing end in college, and his typical foe is the left tackle, where teams put their best pass blocker."

all these DE to OLB conversions take at least 1 year, but there isn't much choice to developing them because there are so few OLB edge rushers available each year.
              Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

looking at the tape available on him, he seemed to drop back into coverage a lot for a defensive end...

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                  I'm obviously rooting for him. He just seems a one trick guy that's gonna take some time

Barnes took a lot of time. It can be done. Hopefully he makes the team and they throw him out there for some plays
                  I think he is in a good position to make the team with the lack of players coming back and Ingram's injury. I'm guessing he sees a fair amount of playing time (and that is even supposing English can stay somewhat healthy).

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

I like him. You watch the few Youtubes of him (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPFg6FrrQ2o, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUC0uxEAJEE) and you see a guy who looks more like a pro pass rusher then many college guys. He takes on blocks, he tries to use his hands. He tries inside and outside moves. He moves really well. He hustles and has good movement skills. He is agile, quick and fast. He is a bit smallish for a true DE, but should be fine at OLB. It may be my impression, but I think he reads and reacts to the play around him pretty well, especially when he is up. Sometimes he is a little mechanical coming out of his stance, not very aware of what is going on around him, but some guys do better standing up, because they can see better, and when he is up and can see, he does look like he can see the ball and pursuit.

I think he got downgraded because he should be better at getting guys to the ground. On the 2 links above, he misses a couple of sacks (in addition to the couple he gets), just because he needs to work on finishing the sacks and getting the QB down. A few more, where he comes through clean, but is too aggressive and runs past the QB. For a guy with his hand use, he should shed a better then he does, and you would expect that if he had a second move, he should be more productive. He gave up a couple of plays in those games where he should have read the plays on the perimeter, but again I think he reads better standing up. His pass drops are only effective because he runs well, he clearly has no technique. But all these things are common problems for rookies. Most guys work through these things, and having a guy like Freeney, and Jarrett Johnson, I think will really help.

I think the real reason he fell to us is that he is a small college DE, who wasn't really productive, then didn't time well at the combine and if you look at him he doesn't look like much in his combine workout gear. He is not fat, but he doesn't pass the eyeball test. But you watch him play, he looks more like a pro DE then most of the college DE who got taken in the 1st round.

Comment

• Den60
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I'd rather we not have to rely on him this year. Unfortunately, I think we will have to as at least a backup at OLB/DE.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

We have English, Freeney and Johnson in front of him. While it is not ideal, 3 guys for 2 spots is not terrible depth. Granted Johnson is not going to add much pass rush, but on the downs he is on the field, he can be the drop LB more often then not. So the pass rush is up to Freeney and English. Not great, but no that awful., considering we have a much better inside push then most teams do. The edge guys just need to keep that basic pocket shape, so that the QB can't move around.

I am sort of excited about Williams, because heis going to get to play on ST. Any young LB who can play on ST gets activated and can get some playing time. Just give him some plays here and there and see what he can do. I don't expect he will produce much, but if he can come off the corner and get the edge or the pocket turned to help the inside guys, the QB has to get rid of the ball or take a sack. Rookie take time to learn to finish (see Merriman, Phillips, Ingram,.......... just about every rookie pass rusher) but they can get some pressure. Long term, we will see if he can develop.

Comment

Working...
                        X