• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

I have my doubts about letting him drop back into coverage. Really the only two guys who are competent in that aspect are JJ and English.

My biggest pet peeve last season was asking Ingram to play multiple positions. I'd would prefer that Tourek just gets pass rushing snaps. Don't ask too much of him and let him focus on a singular facet that he can work on.

He clearly has the initial burst that pass rushers need. He needs to improve his technique 1000x. His motor is awesome though. I've see him rush down guys from behind quite a few times.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Time to cook this raw.....

Meat....

Thought I was going to say Pork Chops didnt you?
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

All I hope for this season is that we are not calling him Tourette's Williams on game day!

And by that I mean giving us Tourette's Syndrome...
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
          No Sir, I Dont Like It
          • Jun 2013
          • Section 457
          • Migrant Film Worker
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
          All I hope for this season is that we are not calling him Tourette's Williams on game day!

And by that I mean giving us Tourette's Syndrome...
          Baby steps.
          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
          sigpic

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Don't we also have Keiser at OLB? So Tourek is battling a vet for that 4th spot.

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              Don't we also have Keiser at OLB? So Tourek is battling a vet for that 4th spot.
              I don't think there's a battle, top 4 guys are set in stone IMO. Tourek has already secured his spot with his play. However, we potentially keep 5 at OLB. Keiser is the better player right now, but Beltre also has some ability. If either of those guys show they can contribute something this season, I think they keep the extra OLB.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • SoDak
                • Technology Director
                • Send PM

I don't see the harm in this guy playing the outside rush end in passing downs in a rotational manner.

He can't be any worse as a pass rusher than that stiff we got from san fran two seasons ago, and he's at least young and can get better.

Like Steve said, he actually looks decent on his youtube highlights, and he's about the right size...I think he can contribute, not as an everyday, every down starter, but he could come in and help the team.
                "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

We have kept 5 OLB before, so if both play well, we might have to for the coverage teams. If the WR are not going to be able to do anything more then return kicks, then some group has to. I wouldn't be surprised if Gachkar is the 5th ILB, basically kept just to play on ST (along with Bird as the 4th LB).

Comment

• SDFan
                    Woober Goober
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Dolores, CO
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

⌂SportsChargers / NFL Chargers' Keiser feeling comfortable

Outside linebacker says things are coming together as he pushes for roster spot

By Michael Gehlken4:45 p.m.Aug. 4, 2013

Thomas Keiser went undrafted in 2011, and that's fine. He gets it.

He was still raw as a Stanford senior, still figuring things out. The position change would take time.

Now, the outside linebacker says, he finally feels ready to make an impact.

The Chargers were quick to add Keiser in mid-May, days after his release by the Panthers and a serious knee injury to San Diego pass rusher Melvin Ingram. Keiser is having a solid training camp, albeit one interrupted by a hamstring strain for a few days last week, and is competing to provide depth at a position of need.

"I feel the best I have (in my NFL career)," Keiser said. "Everything is flowing right now."

The 24-year-old was a defensive end prior to his 2010 season at Stanford. The Cardinal hired current 49ers coordinator Vic Fangio, implementing a 3-4 scheme that moved Keiser to outside linebacker. He then worked mostly at defensive end in Carolina.

Here in San Diego, he finds a multiple 3-4 defense in which he'll be serviced from a two-point or three-point stance, varying play-to-play on coordinator John Pagano's front. And there is opportunity to compete for a roster spot out of camp, as Jarret Johnson, Dwight Freeney and Larry English are the only other outside linebackers on the roster who have played an NFL down entering Thursday's preseason opener against Seattle.

Keiser, listed at 6-foot-4 and 260 pounds, took 311 defensive snaps in Carolina.

He notched 16 tackles, 4.5 sacks with an interception and pass defensed.

"It seems like everything in my career over the past four or five years has prepared me to have success in this situation in San Diego as far as the defense and my role and position go," Keiser said. "I look back at my Stanford time, and I was missing a step. There was too much thinking. I went to the NFL, played a lot of defensive end, really developed my skills there dramatically and started dipping back to outside linebacker.

"Now I'm here, understanding the system, and everything is just react-and-go instead of, 'All right, this is what I have to do. Ah, what about this?' Now it's just run around as fast as you can and play and do the right thing."

No cavalry is coming for the current depth in the Chargers' front seven.

Freeney on May 21 was the last signing there. While the team is keeping tabs on available veterans, a newly acquired veteran is not necessarily seen as an upgrade over some of the younger, developing players in place.

That includes Keiser, who has worked to become what he calls "extremely well-rounded as an outside linebacker."

"I've had the four years to develop all those skills," Keiser said. "Now, it's fun to actually put them into use."
                    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

i kind of like the depth at OLB. unproven but there's some talent there with english, tourek and keiser. beltre is also intriguing.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍