Clear All
  • Bolts27
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2020
    • Burlington Ontario Canada
    • Self-Employed
    • Send PM

Rivers Should Be Mentoring The New Guy

Does anyone else hate the way things just.. ended with Rivers.. The uncertainty at QB now is ridiculous. I know for sure Rivers would’ve either taken less money than he asked in Indy, or structured it to not kill the cap.. I thought his play was definitely on the decline last year but the injury bug also running rampant and protection was garbage.. just seems like such a Spanos way to say thanks.. Bye
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

You will find a few here that agree with you. Im glad you finally made it here. Welcome to the Blues man. Cheers.

I moved your thread to this forum because many of the draft discussions are here in this section and its just gonna get more action i think.

Comment

• boldarblood
      Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts27 View Post
      Does anyone else hate the way things just.. ended with Rivers.. The uncertainty at QB now is ridiculous. I know for sure Rivers would’ve either taken less money than he asked in Indy, or structured it to not kill the cap.. I thought his play was definitely on the decline last year but the injury bug also running rampant and protection was garbage.. just seems like such a Spanos way to say thanks.. Bye
      The advantage of the disadvantage of losing Rivers were some really good FA acquisitions.

With how I perceive his feeling towards the organization I am not sure if he would have taken lesser money. Perhaps this situation is one of those better 1 yeasr early than 1 year late. I am definitely going to miss him though.

Comment

• BlackMamba
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Rivers say or imply something along the lines of him not being interested in mentoring the next franchise QB? And I wouldn't blame him for that, given the competitor he is, I wouldn't expect anything less. It's not his responsibility, and it would've been in his best interest to COMPETE for the starting spot as long as he can, not help a kid take his job.

Also, I'm sad about him getting booted out of the franchise the way he did as much as the next guy, and we can debate all day about whether it was in the team's best interest to do it now. Only time will tell. But he had 14 years to run the show, and that's a pretty good sample size. He had his chances to take the team all the way, and it just didn't work out for whatever reason. And there was plenty of evidence that showed his deteriorating play this past season. I think some just have to accept that a Super Bowl likely wasn't happening with PR at this point and the dream scenario of a perfect transition to the next franchise QB was just that, a dream.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Rivers is one of my all time favorite Chargers (as blue knows!). I hate the way that it ended. In a perfect world, he'd play a year or two more he and mentor the young QB of the future. But given his age and turnovers last year I can understand why the team moved on. IMO Rivers is taking WAY too much blame for last year's disaster of a season, but that goes with the territory of being a QB. I suspect that with the better offensive line and much better coaching he will have in Indy that he bounces back to 2018 form - and that will be hard to watch. Now we'll get to watch Taylor to mentor yet another replacement behind, ironically, a much better offensive line than Rivers had. IMO the horrible line is why Rivers struggled so much last year. As boldarblood points out, we likely could not have done as much in FA if we had kept Rivers so that is a catch 22.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
            Superbowl?
            • Sep 2018
            • Los Angeles/Chicago
            • Send PM

Everyone is assuming the Chargers didn't want Rivers (perhaps that's true) but no one is saying (other than me) that perhaps Rivers didn't want the Chargers, that he was sick of a 6 hour round trip drive everyday (not moving his Christian family to seedy sinful L.A.), sick of no offensive line, sick that he didn't get an extension after going 12-4 before the season started, and sick of 16 road games (this seemed to bother him in my opinion).

Comment

• Bolts27
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2020
              • Self-Employed
              • Send PM

ChargingBolts i didn’t consider that take on it and there’s definitely some validity to the thought.. I just figure if he sucked it up last year, I’d personally bet on him having a willingness to ride into the sunset.. However if he got zero positive vibe from the org you could be spot on and said fff it.. either way.. I think the story deserved a rewrite..

Comment

• Bolts27
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2020
                • Self-Employed
                • Send PM

Fleet 1

Thank you for the warm welcome! You throw my rambling posts anywhere you’d like.. I’ll stumble around until i find it lol.. Excited to get fresh perspectives on topics only the voices in my head argue about! Cheers!

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

Fleet 1

Thank you for the warm welcome! You throw my rambling posts anywhere you’d like.. I’ll stumble around until i find it lol.. Excited to get fresh perspectives on topics only the voices in my head argue about! Cheers!
                  Im stunned you know how to tag members. lol Nobody actually does that. Awesome. You can also quote posts you know that right?

Stoked to have you man. How awesome is this Pandemic to take the heat off your beloved Astros? lol Jus playin.

Comment

• Craig440
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Send PM

I also think Rivers hated the lack of following the Chargers had.

Comment

• Bolts27
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2020
                      • Self-Employed
                      • Send PM

Fleet 1 First day Shade!!. you prolly bangin a trash can while you typed that... although the big guy upstairs did promise me some locusts and plague to take the heat off.

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Fleet 1 First day Shade!!. you prolly bangin a trash can while you typed that... although the big guy upstairs did promise me some locusts and plague to take the heat off.
                        LOL. No shade here. Only love. You can also quote. I like the tags though.

Comment

Working...
                        X