• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KYBoltsFan
    THERE'S A GLEAM, MEN
    Generous Donor
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

There isn't much in the way of sports to talk about these days...so crap like this floats to the top.
    NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED

Comment

• Chargers33
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

I hate the trade rumors for our star players just as bad as the next guy - but maybe what I hate worse is just letting them walk away and getting nothing in return - we have all seen too much of that through the years....Tough call but we are likely to lose a couple players after this year and if TT has already decided who that will be then let's get what we can.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I just heard that today.
        it's getting annoying
        I just have always wanted to see our D with an elite secondary
        I’d like to see our D with a DL that doesn’t get plowed by a strong OL.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
          I saw a guy posting that Dallas should give us a 1 and a 3 for Bosa. Some guys are stupid and other guys are stupider.
          The reason that this will almost certainly not happen is that Dallas only has $13.5 mill and change in caps space. Joey Bosa's cap hit for this season is $14.36 mil. And Dallas still needs money to sign draft picks ($7.3 mil) and injury replacements during the season. They can get a long way by cutting Tyrone Crawford, but he is still one of their better DL.

The 1st and 3rd is a nice place to start the conversation. Not enough, but that is how you start haggling. Then they raise the offer slowly, and eventually you get to the real price. But only an idiot thinks that it is even close to being enough.

Frank Clark drew a 1st pick from KC, a 2nd (2020) and switching 3rds. Using the Rich Hill draft value chart that is about 249.58 value (points?). However Bosa is a much better player. Across the board he puts up better stats except missed tackles and batted passes, Frank is ahead on both. Looking at the PFF grades, Bosa is ahead by a fair margin, overall, as a pass rusher, and run defender and Bosa is also a somewhat better tackler, but not by a huge margin (like the other 3 categories). So in terms of value, remembering the exponential value added production at the top of the scale, it means they have to pay through the nose.

Just for fun there
          is an article I just found that had us getting 1st and 3rd from Dallas this season, along with Tyrone Crawford, who is a solid 3 tech DT, who lines up as a DE on some run downs (not so much lately). They just want to dump his $8 mill salary, which they need. 1st and a 3rd don't cut it for me.
          https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/this-cowboys-chargers-blockbuster-trade-involving-joey-bosa-could-actually-work/ar-BB12hdwd

Comment

• FoutsFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Birmingham AL
            • Send PM

I think we should trade Bosa, Allen, Henry, King, James, Ingram, M Williams, and anyone else that is or has the chance of making big money, then we trade all those high picks for 6th and 7th round picks. Then we never have to worry about paying players again and we win the salary cap Super Bowl each year.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post
              I think we should trade Bosa, Allen, Henry, King, James, Ingram, M Williams, and anyone else that is or has the chance of making big money, then we trade all those high picks for 6th and 7th round picks. Then we never have to worry about paying players again and we win the salary cap Super Bowl each year.
              Need to put that in Green Highlights....LOL! Dean is that you speaking? Adding to the charger coffers vs. enticing the fan base... :>)
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• FoutsFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Birmingham AL
                • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Need to put that in Green Highlights....LOL! Dean is that you speaking? Adding to the charger coffers vs. enticing the fan base... :>)
                You are right I should have made that green font.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Keenan Allen-

Is he the best wide receiver Rivers had with the Chargers? What say you? I say yes, the only competition is Vincent Jackson. But Allen is better. He gets open more often than any WR I've ever seen play for the Chargers. (The other Keenan had a couple of good years with Brees, but was done by the time Rivers took over.)

Which begs the next question: Where does Keenan stand in terms of being the best WR in franchise history? Well, I didn't see Bambi play, but I know he ranks as one of the 2-3 best all time. So I slot Keenan behind No. 19 without question. But what about compared to other WR legends who played for the Bolts? The two that come to mind are Charlie Joiner and Wes Chandler.

CJ: 11 seasons; age 29-39; 164 games; 586 recpt; 9,203 yds; 47 TD; 15.7 ypc

WC: 6.5 seasons; age 25-31; 94 games; 373 recpt; 6,132 yds; 41 TD; 16.4 ypc

KA: 7 seasons; age 21-27; 86 games; 524 recpt; 6405 yds; 34 TD; 12.2 ypc/338 1st D

KA's season and a half lost to injury suppresses his Chargers career somewhat, but even missing that time he surpasses Chandler. The sheer volume of his catches and his total yards over fewer games puts him ahead of Chandler. His ypc is much lower, but his value as a clutch target makes him the more valuable player. They didn't tally 1st downs in CJ/WC's days, but I included that stat for KA just to show how valuable he has been in moving the chains. He has averaged 4 1st downs per game in his career.

Joiner's sheer volume puts him ahead of KA at this point. But if KA remains a Charger and doesn't miss any more significant time to injury, he will surpass CJ on the Bolts' all time greatest WR list by age 30, even if his total yardage and TDs doesn't equal CJ's by that time. KA is only 28 - younger than when CJ joined the Chargers. And KA's skill set - great route running and clutch hands - are the skill sets that age well in the NFL; he is the type of WR who have long careers, opposed to WRs whose best skill is speed. KA reminds of Joiner and McCardell; both were great WRs well into their 30s because they were great route runners and had phenomenal hands.

The other great WR in Bolts history was Anthony Miller. He played his 1st five seasons with the Chargers and had good years with Jim McMahon in 1989 and with Humphries in 1992-93. As a rookie in '88, Miller had 3 QBs: Babe Laughingberg (misspelling intentional) and the two Marks (Malone/Vlasic). In '90 his QB was mostly Billy Joe Tolliver. After two good seasons with Humphries, Miller went to Denver and had two good seasons with Elway before his career faded. He doesn't rank with KA IMO.

BTW the top 5 WRs in Bolts' history per SI are:

Bambi
                  Joiner
                  Keenan
                  Chandler
                  Miller

Interesting that Miller ranks ahead of VJ, but VJ has to be No. 6, right?

Comment

• jubei
                    Vagabond Ninja
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

I think John Jefferson coulda been special. And I really liked Anthony Miller back then...LOVED Wes Chandler.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
                      I think John Jefferson coulda been special. And I really liked Anthony Miller back then...LOVED Wes Chandler.
                      Yeah, I meant to mention JJ, he could have an all time great if he had remained partnered with the MFIC (Fouts). He went Green Bay, which was QB purgatory at the time (until Favre really) and was never heard from again.

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
                        San Diego Native
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Farmington, NM
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
                        Chandler was a great add post Jefferson but JJ... dang. As a kid, I sat 3 ft from the TV on game day and focused on every move JJ made. I didn't want to miss his next freakishly acrobatic catch.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                          Keenan Allen-

Is he the best wide receiver Rivers had with the Chargers? What say you? I say yes, the only competition is Vincent Jackson. But Allen is better. He gets open more often than any WR I've ever seen play for the Chargers. (The other Keenan had a couple of good years with Brees, but was done by the time Rivers took over.)

Which begs the next question: Where does Keenan stand in terms of being the best WR in franchise history? Well, I didn't see Bambi play, but I know he ranks as one of the 2-3 best all time. So I slot Keenan behind No. 19 without question. But what about compared to other WR legends who played for the Bolts? The two that come to mind are Charlie Joiner and Wes Chandler.

CJ: 11 seasons; age 29-39; 164 games; 586 recpt; 9,203 yds; 47 TD; 15.7 ypc

WC: 6.5 seasons; age 25-31; 94 games; 373 recpt; 6,132 yds; 41 TD; 16.4 ypc

KA: 7 seasons; age 21-27; 86 games; 524 recpt; 6405 yds; 34 TD; 12.2 ypc/338 1st D

KA's season and a half lost to injury suppresses his Chargers career somewhat, but even missing that time he surpasses Chandler. The sheer volume of his catches and his total yards over fewer games puts him ahead of Chandler. His ypc is much lower, but his value as a clutch target makes him the more valuable player. They didn't tally 1st downs in CJ/WC's days, but I included that stat for KA just to show how valuable he has been in moving the chains. He has averaged 4 1st downs per game in his career.

Joiner's sheer volume puts him ahead of KA at this point. But if KA remains a Charger and doesn't miss any more significant time to injury, he will surpass CJ on the Bolts' all time greatest WR list by age 30, even if his total yardage and TDs doesn't equal CJ's by that time. KA is only 28 - younger than when CJ joined the Chargers. And KA's skill set - great route running and clutch hands - are the skill sets that age well in the NFL; he is the type of WR who have long careers, opposed to WRs whose best skill is speed. KA reminds of Joiner and McCardell; both were great WRs well into their 30s because they were great route runners and had phenomenal hands.

The other great WR in Bolts history was Anthony Miller. He played his 1st five seasons with the Chargers and had good years with Jim McMahon in 1989 and with Humphries in 1992-93. As a rookie in '88, Miller had 3 QBs: Babe Laughingberg (misspelling intentional) and the two Marks (Malone/Vlasic). In '90 his QB was mostly Billy Joe Tolliver. After two good seasons with Humphries, Miller went to Denver and had two good seasons with Elway before his career faded. He doesn't rank with KA IMO.

BTW the top 5 WRs in Bolts' history per SI are:

Bambi
                          Joiner
                          Keenan
                          Chandler
                          Miller

Interesting that Miller ranks ahead of VJ, but VJ has to be No. 6, right?
                          Hec I'd put Jefferson ahead of Miller. He was better....with us anyways.
                          36 of his career 47 TDs came with us. He don't have the overall numbers but with us for 3 years, he was a stud.
                          11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                          35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                          37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                          66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                          69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                          100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                          110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                          140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                          181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                          225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

Working...
                          X