Clear All
  • Pointyearedog
    Humble Chargers Fan
    • May 2017
    • Golden Hill
    • Medical Devices Operations
    • Send PM

Fouts Dumped By CBS

I was browsing through the news, and I saw some article that Dan Fouts is getting the axe from CBS as a color commentator. Not known if he is going to continue broadcasting, but it certainly won't be with that network. Any takes on this? And what is Ian Eagle going to do now?

Pointy
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." --Frank Zappa
  • Pointyearedog
    Humble Chargers Fan
    • May 2017
    • Golden Hill
    • Medical Devices Operations
    • Send PM

News Sports Entertainment Life Money Tech Travel Opinion

Subscribe

NFL
    Reports: Hall of Famer Dan Fouts out as color commentator on CBS' No. 2 NFL team

Chris Bumbaca USA TODAY

CBS addressed its top NFL broadcast team of Jim Nantz and Tony Romo by signing Romo to a 10-year, $180 million extension this offseason.
    The network is now addressing its No. 2 team.
    According to multiple reports, CBS is letting go of color commentator Dan Fouts, who has teamed with play-by-play man Ian Eagle for the last several seasons. Fouts, 69, is a pro football Hall of Famer who put together a decorated 15-year career, all with the San Diego Chargers.
    After retiring in 1987, Fouts first joined CBS as an analyst. In 2000, he joined ABC's "Monday Night Football" booth alongside Al Michaels and Dennis Miller. He called college games with Keith Jackson for a time and returned to CBS in 2008.

With the league's new playoff format that will debut this year, CBS picked up an extra game during Wild Card weekend, perhaps influencing the network's decision to move on from Fouts.
    Both the New York Post and Miami Herald reported that CBS was targeting Charles Davis, who is currently the analyst on Fox Sports' No. 2 broadcast alongside Kevin Burkhardt. Internally, per the reports, former Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Trent Green is also an option.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." --Frank Zappa

Comment

• FoutsFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Birmingham AL
      • Send PM

I always enjoyed listening to Fouts do commentary. Hope he gets picked up by another network.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        Brock Bowers N.M.W.
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
        • Send PM

I just didn't like it when he did the Chargers...but he was as good as most. Charles Davis? Not that good.
        The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

• ChargingBolts
          Superbowl?
          • Sep 2018
          • Los Angeles/Chicago
          • Send PM

I was going to post this and you beat me to it lol.

I think Fouts is a very good commentator except when he did Chargers games he drove me crazy, my theory is because he was jealous Rivers broke all his records.

Now that Rivers is gone he wouldn't be as bad perhaps (unless he was doing a Colts game).

I hope he signs somewhere, I thought he also did radio and/or college?

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

I am disappointed the MFIC won't be broadcasting AFC games this year. He has always been one of my favorites because of this Chargers career. I don't think he was overly harsh on the Chargers, and if he was it was to dispel any notion he was partial to the Chargers during his broadcasts. His delivery was not always the smoothest, he is not by nature a broadcast guy. But that didn't stop him from being one of the best color commentary talents in the business. I don't understand what CBS has against him. I thought he and Eagle - The Bird & The Beard - were a natural fit.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Maybe he could go to Monday night football and add some creedo to that booth again. Strange...must have been a too much dollars thing plus dan your getting into geezer land mindset. Out to pasture again...69 aint that old...I could see if he was 79....
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Heatmiser
                HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

The networks all want more Tony Romos. Not the vanilla, decaffineted guys like our revered Fouts. It’s why brees has a deal to broadcast before he even retires.

Personally, Romo gets on my nerves. Like the guy behind you in the theater who already saw the movie and tells you what is going to happen then congratulates himself after he does it. A little bit is fine and educational. But all the time is too much for me.

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Pointyearedog View Post
                  I was browsing through the news, and I saw some article that Dan Fouts is getting the axe from CBS as a color commentator. Not known if he is going to continue broadcasting, but it certainly won't be with that network. Any takes on this? And what is Ian Eagle going to do now?

Pointy
                  Well, LT should be available...

Comment

• jubei
                    Vagabond Ninja
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Well, LT should be available...

I think LT would NOT be a good commentator with mispronouncing names like Kordell Jones!
                    Personally I like Romo's commentary. I like his knowledge and he sounds excited. I like it more than Al Michaels. I remember Al Michaels was doing a game for the Bolts and one of the Bolt players scored, I think it was Austin, and Michael's was so ho-hum about it all.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

I think LT would NOT be a good commentator with mispronouncing names like Kordell Jones!
                      Personally I like Romo's commentary. I like his knowledge and he sounds excited. I like it more than Al Michaels. I remember Al Michaels was doing a game for the Bolts and one of the Bolt players scored, I think it was Austin, and Michael's was so ho-hum about it all.
                      I was joking about LT...great player, not so great at commentary...not only did he repeatedly refer to Cardale Jones as "Kordell," but he also called Sam Tevi "Sam tee-VEE"...
                      Last edited by Topcat; 04-18-2020, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• jubei
                        Vagabond Ninja
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I was joking about LT...great player, not so great at commentary...not only did he repeatedly refer to Cardell Jones as "Kordell," but he also called Sam Tevi "Sam tee-VEE"...
                        TC you got it wrong too bro...it's CarDALE Jones.

In any case I hope Fouts does some games. I liked him even though he was a little harsh on the bolts. And I think he was that way to show non-partisan as another poster mentioned. After all records are made to be broken and in this era the passing game is MUCH easier than during Fouts' era.

Comment

Working...
                        X