• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CivilBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

While it was a great highlight, I don't want to see anything like this unless it's in the fourth quarter of a close playoff game.
    Yup he could have broke a clavicle or hurt his arm/shoulder.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

While I don't want Justin to take hits like that very often, I'm still waiting for him to rip off a 40+ yard run to the house. I thought we'd see a few of those. Honestly, I thought Justin at first would be more of a Colin Kaepernick type of QB. Not a polished passer but capable of rushing for 500 yards a season with some long runs of 40,50 yards or more. I'm thrilled that he was so good as a passer as a rookie (Kaepernick never came close to matching Herbert's stats as a passer even in his best seasons) and he doesn't need to run as much. But I would like to see him score once or twice a season from outside the 40 by tucking it and running.

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

We're gaining fans around the world because of JH! This guy down under is absolutely stunned by his rookie season. Fun Watch!

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Inforfun
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2020
          • Send PM

Herbert will be another great QB for the chargers. Hopefully he does not fall victim to the stupid moves of the brass and owner. TT and new coaches are young enough to realize they have not accomplished anything in the grand scheme. Nothing, nada... they should be hungry and looking for great progress.

keep it real, Herbert killed it with one of the worst coaches who let Rivers down every chance he could.... TT did Nothing.

this year TT need to prove he is not just lucky with picking Herbert, but good with building teamwork with Fo to ballboy.

we need to see teamwork this year

Comment

• Bolt Dude
            Draftnik
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

Love this quote from Staley:

He’s one of the guys. I think that’s the best compliment you can give a quarterback,” Staley said. “It’s the position I played and when you can earn the respect of your teammates because they think you’re just one of the guys then, even though everyone knows he’s a top pick, a franchise quarterback, one of the elite young players in the league, for the players to talk about his work ethic, and that he’s not manufactured, that he doesn’t try to do too much, he’s just himself, that’s awesome. He’s got a lot of humility, a really good work ethic, just a great head on his shoulders, and that’s what players respect. They respect you if you’re a good dude and you’re a good player. That’s what people are attracted to. He’s just got a refreshing way that attracts him to all different shapes and sizes, all different ages.”
            Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
              Love this quote from Staley:

He’s one of the guys. I think that’s the best compliment you can give a quarterback,” Staley said. “It’s the position I played and when you can earn the respect of your teammates because they think you’re just one of the guys then, even though everyone knows he’s a top pick, a franchise quarterback, one of the elite young players in the league, for the players to talk about his work ethic, and that he’s not manufactured, that he doesn’t try to do too much, he’s just himself, that’s awesome. He’s got a lot of humility, a really good work ethic, just a great head on his shoulders, and that’s what players respect. They respect you if you’re a good dude and you’re a good player. That’s what people are attracted to. He’s just got a refreshing way that attracts him to all different shapes and sizes, all different ages.”
              What a refreshing take versus "He's a back-up for a reason!" LOL!

:coffee:
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                Draftnik
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

PFF needs to give up on the JH10 hate. It’s like they’re in denial. Every time they do this their credibility takes a punch in the nuts.
                Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Shumway
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Perth Australia
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
                  PFF needs to give up on the JH10 hate. It’s like they’re in denial. Every time they do this their credibility takes a punch in the nuts.
                  But it helps us if they talk up the current year quarterbacks. Hey, teams drafting in the top 12, they're all better than Herbert!!! Thanks PFF.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

I get it. Based on how PFF does things, he is not the best prospect. Fine.

Part of the point of PFF is they try and be objective, and they evaluate things consistently from year to year. That implies they are doing the same business as usual thing, they are not changing how they evaluate, otherwise how can they be objective. That is fine and good, but what did they miss. A big part of what Moneyball was about was constantly learning and evaluating what they did and could do better, and I am not sure PFF has really learned that lesson. They clearly have in some areas, but the very act of doing this kind of thing implies they may not have totally embraced it.

Also, the whole point of analytics is to try and be objective and eliminate things that are not objective. How do you objectively rate "intangibles" and to what degree is Herbert's success probably due to his intangibles. Everyone doing analytics is assuming (to some degree) that at least the most important traits of a player can be evaluated bet by seeing how they play. The way Herbert came in to start game 2 on, with little practice time and no preseason suggests that despite some obvious issues, he is a tremendously fast learner and has a good feel for the game, that you didn't see so much in college and you can see in the NFL.

Plus, to what degree is his success due to the players the Chargers had around him. As bad as our OL is, we had a lot of really good skill players around him. And another example of Mahommes, he looked a lot more mortal last year in the SB, with his pretty good OL banged up and playing behind guys like our OL, than behind the other guys he usually has played behind. It is hard to think Burrow was going to enjoy the same success with the Bengals OL and WR, even if he was the better QB.

Lastly, how close are the rankings. I can see that ranking a little bit, if they are all packed in really close. Ranking guys relative to one another is an OK way of comparing them, but it can mask how close the actual grades are. Are all 5 guys really close, or is this like the Geno Smith draft where there is a HUGE spread between QB?

I do think that PFF is probably right in that how Herbert looks this year is going to be different than last year. Last year, he was incredible vs pressure, and while many QB have had seasons where they have been that good vs pressure, it is almost impossible to repeat. It just doesn't happen. However, nothing is preventing him from being better "on schedule", and "off pressure". A lot of young QB get better at getting rid of the ball quicker and more accurately as time goes on, and Herbert has plenty of room to improve in those areas. The whole point of putting better players around Herbert is to make that job easier/better. Add in a running game, defensive help and just about any help on ST, and there is a good chance we can put Herbert in a much better chance to succeed.

Comment

• equivocation
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2021
                      • Send PM

They have him ranked behind 3 players who have 0 snaps in the NFL. They're just stirring shit because there's no bad publicity. There is absolutely no way to do this ranking objectively.

Comment

• PR#1
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Herbert has out performed Burrow this year.

No way this is accurate.

The putting of Herbert behind QB's who have never taken a snap in the NFL is a real slap in the face !

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

None of this will matter when Herbert is league and superbowl MVP

F PFF
                          .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
                          .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
                          .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
                          .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
                          .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
                          .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
                          .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
                          .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
                          .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢