• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt Dude
    Draftnik
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

On a team with Justin Herbert at QB and Allen, Williams, Ekeler, Cook, Parham, Guyton and Johnson as receiving options, I can't get behind running the ball 53% of the time on first down even with a better OL. Ekeler is not a heavy workload RB and those better OL players will also be better at pass blocking. I think that with consistent time to throw, Herbert will absolutely shred defenses, which will be fun to watch.

I would love to see us put fear into our opponents by very aggressively attacking them through the air. I would love to see the Belichick game management system of keeping our foot on the gas pedal throughout the game. I never want to see run-run-pass-punt-let our opponent back into the game again. I want us throwing to get first downs even late in games with a significant lead. Getting first downs is what allows the team to run the clock, not running the ball just for the sake of running the ball as our previous boneheaded HC seemed to think.
    And imagine it with Davonte Adam’s, too
    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I don't think the proportion of runs to pass was out of whack. The problem was that our OL couldn't block well for the run and our Hc kept running in spite of that fact. Our RB's were being hit behind to line of scrimmage. If the new OL can run block better we won't complain so much about the runs because they will gain yards and make third down conversations easier.
      If you can’t block for the run, than calling the “normal” proportion of run plays actually is out of whack. As often noted, coach must adapt to talent and abilities of players. Not only was the normal proportion wrong, the predictability was crushingly depressing. Even I knew when they were calling a run play and I, good sir, am a fucking moron.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

And imagine it with Davonte Adam’s, too

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Can't see Adams AND Williams here in 2022
          Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
            Can't see Adams AND Williams here in 2022
            Me neither. So which is it, Williams on a turnaround season or Adams, post Rodgers?

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

On a team with Justin Herbert at QB and Allen, Williams, Ekeler, Cook, Parham, Guyton and Johnson as receiving options, I can't get behind running the ball 53% of the time on first down even with a better OL. Ekeler is not a heavy workload RB and those better OL players will also be better at pass blocking. I think that with consistent time to throw, Herbert will absolutely shred defenses, which will be fun to watch.

I would love to see us put fear into our opponents by very aggressively attacking them through the air. I would love to see the Belichick game management system of keeping our foot on the gas pedal throughout the game. I never want to see run-run-pass-punt-let our opponent back into the game again. I want us throwing to get first downs even late in games with a significant lead. Getting first downs is what allows the team to run the clock, not running the ball just for the sake of running the ball as our previous boneheaded HC seemed to think.
              Love it

when the D loads up to stop the run, I want to throw it 40 yards down the field. If you’re a pass first team, you can run the ball a lot easier.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

I read the mix was 40% run, 60% pass. If we ran 53% of the time, I agree with you. But, 40/60 falls in line with what most successful teams do. Even Air Coryell mixed in many runs and you may recall that Don always had a good #1 RB as well as a good third down back.

I love watching Herbert throw and I sure love the big gains but if you can't run and everyone knows it, you won't be successful passing it all the time.
                Last edited by chargeroo; 07-24-2021, 08:54 AM. Reason: This thing keeps double posting the quote, are others having that problem?
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I read the mix was 40% run, 60% pass. If we ran 53% of the time, I agree with you. But, 40/60 falls in line with what most successful teams do. Even Air Coryell mixed in many runs and you may recall that Don always had a good #1 RB as well as a good third down back.

I love watching Herbert throw and I sure love the big gains but if you can't run and everyone knows it, you won't be successful passing it all the time.
                  You have to able to run, but a coach also has to know when run ain’t working. Memo to Lynn … we don’t blame you for the first time you try and run and get nada. We don’t even blame you the 2nd, or 3rd. But if you’re still calling 1st down runs in the 2nd half every series when they absolutely stoned you all game long - you’re an idiot.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                    Draftnik
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Me neither. So which is it, Williams on a turnaround season or Adams, post Rodgers?
                    Adams > Mike Dub
                    …all day long.

And to be honest…
                    Adams > Julio

J. Herb throwing to a trio of Keenan, Adams, and Palmer (with stretch packages that include Guyton and Johnson) will eviscerate almost any secondary.

But who’ll step up as a $$$ TE?
                    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Adams > Mike Dub
                      …all day long.

And to be honest…
                      Adams > Julio

J. Herb throwing to a trio of Keenan, Adams, and Palmer (with stretch packages that include Guyton and Johnson) will eviscerate almost any secondary.

But who’ll step up as a $$$ TE?
                      Parham has a chance to become a valuable receiving weapon.
                      Draft Charlie Kolar in 2022 and we’ll be solid with Kolar, Parham, McKitty as the future at TE. With all on rookie deals they won’t kill our Cap space.
                      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• equivocation
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2021
                        • Send PM

It's not the overall pass/run ratio though. It's the "pass to take the lead, run to lose the lead, pass to try to win" rythm that happened over and over.

And the more you dig down into the situational stats, the more predictable you see the LAC were. For exaple, 75% run rate on 2nd and short, 2nd highest in the league.

But the Chargers also had the 3rd lowest success rate on 2nd and short (39%) and the 4th lowest yards per play on second and short (5.4) Baltimore, who ran 80% in that scenario, was 47% and 7.6.

Our good yardage came in 3rd and long scenarios where we were forced to go for chunk plays against a prepared defense (3rd highest success rate, 5th highest yards per play, 96% passing). And we had the players to win those battles anyway. But the coaches were not putting players in a position to succeed. Our success rate on 3rd and long was almost as high as out success rate on 2nd and short. There's something very, very wrong with that (coaching).

On 1st and 10 we were 21st in pass rate and 29th in succsss rate.

Comment

• equivocation
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2021
                          • Send PM

Again, 2nd and 10. 6th in pass rate, 5th in success rate, 9th in yards per play.

You consistently see when we were above average in pass rate we were above average in success rate. When we were below average in pass rate we were below average in success rate. I haven't found a scenario where that didn't hold.

"Stop trying to make [top 10 running team] happen."

Comment

Working...
                          X