• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt Dude
    Draftnik
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say Herbert’s got a much stronger arm than Russell Wilson.
    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say Herbert’s got a much stronger arm than Russell Wilson.
      It's Herbert, Mahomes and Josh Allen, not necessarily in that order. I don't know who has the strongest arm, but it doesn't matter. Maybe include Aaron Rodgers with this trio, but approaching 40 I have to believe his arm strength is decling.

After these 3-4 guys, it's everybody else. No, I don't believe Matthew Stafford or Russell Wilson have stronger arms than Herbert.

In the end though it doesn't matter. The over the hill guy with perhaps the noodlest arm won the SB. The ability to get to the QB is more important than QB arm strength.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

I see Trevor Lawrence struggle in preseason games against not first string vanilla defenses and it, again, illustrates what Herbert accomplished last year even more amazing. Limited off-season and training camp. No preseason games. Little time with the ones in TC. Starts with 2 mins notice against the defending SB champs, scores a TD on his first drive, throws his first TD pass, plays just as well as the reigning MVP. Goes on the road in his 3rd & 4th games at the Bucs and Saints, two of the best defenses in the league, throws 7 TD passes against them (I think those were his best two games) with PS players like Johnson, Guyton and Parham. Breaks every meaningful rookie record. I know this has already been said ad nauseum. But, again, watching Trevor Lawrence in the preseason illustrates the greatness of Herbert's rookie season.

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          I see Trevor Lawrence struggle in preseason games against not first string vanilla defenses and it, again, illustrates what Herbert accomplished last year even more amazing. Limited off-season and training camp. No preseason games. Little time with the ones in TC. Starts with 2 mins notice against the defending SB champs, scores a TD on his first drive, throws his first TD pass, plays just as well as the reigning MVP. Goes on the road in his 3rd & 4th games at the Bucs and Saints, two of the best defenses in the league, throws 7 TD passes against them (I think those were his best two games) with PS players like Johnson, Guyton and Parham. Breaks every meaningful rookie record. I know this has already been said ad nauseum. But, again, watching Trevor Lawrence in the preseason illustrates the greatness of Herbert's rookie season.
          I'm going to go out on a limb here....Herbert is better than Lawrence when you include all the intangibles. Being a pretty passer or rolling out to have open lanes does not make you the #1 QB. Until Lawrence can make scrappy passes and move the chains consistently he's not even top twenty in my books yet!

:whistlin:
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolt Dude
            Draftnik
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
            It's Herbert, Mahomes and Josh Allen, not necessarily in that order. I don't know who has the strongest arm, but it doesn't matter. Maybe include Aaron Rodgers with this trio, but approaching 40 I have to believe his arm strength is decling.

After these 3-4 guys, it's everybody else. No, I don't believe Matthew Stafford or Russell Wilson have stronger arms than Herbert.

In the end though it doesn't matter. The over the hill guy with perhaps the noodlest arm won the SB. The ability to get to the QB is more important than QB arm strength.
            Lol, Joe Montana had a pretty soft arm. Look where it got him.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
              Draftnik
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I'm going to go out on a limb here....Herbert is better than Lawrence when you include all the intangibles. Being a pretty passer or rolling out to have open lanes does not make you the #1 QB. Until Lawrence can make scrappy passes and move the chains consistently he's not even top twenty in my books yet!

I think Lawrence will have a very good rookie season. But he won’t fire out of cannon like Herbertron did.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I’m gonna wait and see him play real games, its not just defenses that are vanilla in PS - the offenses are too. Think he’s got a problem for an OL but it can’t be as bad as last year’s Bolt line.

But I’ll never worry about him vs Herbie. I’m perfectly happy with the guy we got, I don’t care of TL throws more or less. Too often throwing a lot means you’re losing a lot. I think that team is a hot mess and he struggles for awhile because of it as much as because of him. I recall he didn’t handle pressure well in the last championship game.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Lol, Joe Montana had a pretty soft arm. Look where it got him.
                  Montana lived off the short pass...and yac...

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                    Draftnik
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Had great pocket awareness, but probably the best anticipatory passer I’ve ever seen.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Had great pocket awareness, but probably the best anticipatory passer I’ve ever seen.
                      And a John Candy fan.
                      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

That is how the west coast offense was designed. But Montana did throw a lot of passes downfield over the course of his career. They didn't come in super fast, but he threw a lot of downfield passes to Jerry Rice over the years.

The thing I don't like about a big arms is the inability to make all the throws. Guys with really strong arms often try to strong arm everything, and that doesn't always work out. Outside of Brett Farve and John Elway, it usually backfires badly. If you throw that hard, breaking fingers hard ... you better make sure you hit the guys in the hands, because it comes in so hot that receivers cannot adjust to the ball. And a lot of them try to throw through defenders, which is kinda tough to get away with.

Herbert has a big arm, and he does like to dial it up, but he is more like Rivers and Fouts in that that he basically just goes out and throws the pass the way it needs to be thrown. He can lob them in over a defender, or strong arm it past or anything in between. Yes, he is accurate, but he does give his receivers a chance to make and adjust to throws. And he is smart or instinctive enough to know how to throw it so that you are not giving the defense a chance to adjust to it too.

Comment

• chris9341
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post
                          Whoever said it didn’t do his homework. Fouts also went to Oregon. I heard he was pretty good.

And theres also Norm Van Brocklin

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡