Clear All
  • bolthead123
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • San Diego
    • I work in IT.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I still struggle with people complaining about this year. He is averaging more passing yards per game, has a higher yards per pass attempt, and has more TDs passing per game than last year. His QB rating and QBR ratings are higher than last year. He did have a few off games but geez, the guy is already a top 10 QB in the league and is only going to get better as he and the rest of the O get more familiar with the offense.
    The complaints are from people who haven't experienced multiple seasons without a decent quarterback. There was a stretch of seasons -- about 5 after Fouts retired and something similar after Stan Humphries retired that I remember us not having a franchise quarterback and getting to the playoffs was always out of reach. I think we have newer fans that have seen the franchise go from Philip Rivers to Justin Herbert and have been spoiled with seeing passes completed and the chains move with a decent TD/INT ratio. Things don't always work out -- it is a "team" sport, but the club is competitive when it has a legit franchise quarterback.

Some people will eventually find out the hard way.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

By now, everyone knows about JH10. He's still 'growing' as a QB, but no one can deny his talent. My minor nit picks from last night were his low trajectory throws into DL arms (or helmet), and just leaving too much time because Mike Williams was so damn open, lol.

Comment

• JupiterBolt
        ~ Charger Fan ~
        • Sep 2018
        • Jupiter, FL
        • Send PM

That was JH10’s 8th game winning drive! This kid definitely has the Clutch gene!

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
          By now, everyone knows about JH10. He's still 'growing' as a QB, but no one can deny his talent. My minor nit picks from last night were his low trajectory throws into DL arms (or helmet), and just leaving too much time because Mike Williams was so damn open, lol.
          For being so tall, Herbert's release does some to be kind of low; he's had a number of passes knocked down this year and it surprises me. Maybe it's because he can throw with such power he doesn't need the loft to the ball downfield.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
            The Precious
            • May 2019
            • Send PM

I loved it when Palmer came running over and grabbed Hayward when he was on top of Justin. That kid just rocketed his fan status with me. I sure as hell wouldn’t want to try and take on Justin in the open field when he has a full head of steam going fuck that. Justin also threw a pretty nice block last night.

Comment

• BT3241
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2020
              • Send PM

Where's the guy who keeps saying he's a horrible QB?Won't see him today.

Comment

• northerner
                Charger fan since '79
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Herbert was playing at a top 5 QB level last night (MVP level). amazing.

and just when we were about to have a mega-disastrous loss, he got it done. he put that last pass right on the money, so Williams could take off in full stride.

Comment

• JOJAX85
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Irmo, SC
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by BT3241 View Post
                  Where's the guy who keeps saying he's a horrible QB?Won't see him today.
                  Scroll back a few pages....

Comment

• JustAnotherFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2020
                    • Send PM

QBR
                    ESPN's metric of quarterback performance.
                    It's a stat, so it's not everything, but unlike other stats, it takes situations into account, 2 yards on 4th and 1 is great, 2 yards on 3rd and 4 is bad.
                    It discounts garbage time stats. It takes into account passing, rushing, interceptions, lost fumbles, etc.

Vs Pitt, Herbert had a QBR of 84.6 (3rd best this week)

Season to date his QBR is 67.0 (2nd best in the league)

For reference, Burrow has a season to date QBR of 49.4 (21st best in the league)
                    Tua has a season to date QBR of 58.0 (10th best in the league)

Herbert is doing AMAZING over all, for any quarterback, but for a 2nd year player, it is EPIC!

The only complaint I have is inconsistency. This was something I was very concerned about at the Draft, as he was even more inconsistent in college. One game he would look like a sure fire number 1 pick, next week he would look like a 7th round pick.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                      The Precious
                      • May 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by JustAnotherFan View Post
                      QBR
                      ESPN's metric of quarterback performance.
                      It's a stat, so it's not everything, but unlike other stats, it takes situations into account, 2 yards on 4th and 1 is great, 2 yards on 3rd and 4 is bad.
                      It discounts garbage time stats. It takes into account passing, rushing, interceptions, lost fumbles, etc.

Vs Pitt, Herbert had a QBR of 84.6 (3rd best this week)

Season to date his QBR is 67.0 (2nd best in the league)

For reference, Burrow has a season to date QBR of 49.4 (21st best in the league)
                      Tua has a season to date QBR of 58.0 (10th best in the league)

Herbert is doing AMAZING over all, for any quarterback, but for a 2nd year player, it is EPIC!

The only complaint I have is inconsistency. This was something I was very concerned about at the Draft, as he was even more inconsistent in college. One game he would look like a sure fire number 1 pick, next week he would look like a 7th round pick.

Thats a good post however not sure I agree with the inconsistency disclaimer at the end. Ultimately I hope coach Staley and Telesco get this team to a point where if Justin is having a off day that the rest of the team has ways to pick him up. Obviously we’re not there yet and he had to overcome quite a bit last night including a blocked punt and failed 4th down attempt and lead this team back. A extra short field a game will do wonders whether it’s from the defense or special teams and when was the last time we blocked a kick? Or we could just……

Go Deep Justin! :larry:

Comment

• JustAnotherFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdiehard View Post

Thats a good post however not sure I agree with the inconsistency disclaimer at the end. Ultimately I hope coach Staley and Telesco get this team to a point where if Justin is having a off day that the rest of the team has ways to pick him up. Obviously we’re not there yet and he had to overcome quite a bit last night including a blocked punt and failed 4th down attempt and lead this team back. A extra short field a game will do wonders whether it’s from the defense or special teams and when was the last time we blocked a kick? Or we could just……

Go Deep Justin! :larry:
                        Data supporting inconsistency claim
                        Week QBR
                        1 --- 43.8
                        2 --- 44.0
                        3 --- 79.9
                        4 --- 74.7
                        5 --- 87.4
                        6 --- 17.7
                        8 --- 19.4
                        9 --- 94.0
                        10 -- 54.5
                        11 -- 84.6
                        Season 67.0

So, evaluating by QBR (yes, I know there is more to the game than one stat, but it is about avoiding unconscious bias)
                        Out of 10 games, ONE mediocre game, week 10, 2 bad games, weeks 1 and 2, 2 horrible games weeks 6 and 8, and 5 outstanding games.

That is a VERY VERY disparate set of data, only 3 out of 10 are in the 20-70 range!!!!!!! 2 games below 20, and 5 games over 70!

That's what I mean by inconsistent.

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by JustAnotherFan View Post

Data supporting inconsistency claim
                          Week QBR
                          1 --- 43.8
                          2 --- 44.0
                          3 --- 79.9
                          4 --- 74.7
                          5 --- 87.4
                          6 --- 17.7
                          8 --- 19.4
                          9 --- 94.0
                          10 -- 54.5
                          11 -- 84.6
                          Season 67.0

So, evaluating by QBR (yes, I know there is more to the game than one stat, but it is about avoiding unconscious bias)
                          Out of 10 games, ONE mediocre game, week 10, 2 bad games, weeks 1 and 2, 2 horrible games weeks 6 and 8, and 5 outstanding games.

That is a VERY VERY disparate set of data, only 3 out of 10 are in the 20-70 range!!!!!!! 2 games below 20, and 5 games over 70!

That's what I mean by inconsistent.
                          What might be affecting that inconsistency theory is the fact that play calling plus bad blocking might have affected those stats. He would have to have the same OC for a second year plus a fairly stable oline for this to have any meaning whatsoever.

:2cents:
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡