Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

Spoken like a true Telesco apologist.
    I'm not a TT apologist but I also think that the drafting of Herbert and Slater will give TT more time - not that I think his job was particularly in jeopardy anyway. Spanos seems happy with him so all the anger here towards TT won't change squat.

Comment

• JOJAX85
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2018
      • Irmo, SC
      • Send PM

His Numbers weren't terrible. Obviously, 2 really bad decisions, but every receiver averaged over 8.5 yards a catch. The Offense just looked stagnant out there all game. Hard to tell without rewatching, but I'm assuming Houston keyed on Allen all game and made someone else beat them. Nobody stepped up.

Comment

• Riverwalk
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I'm not a TT apologist but I also think that the drafting of Herbert and Slater will give TT more time - not that I think his job was particularly in jeopardy anyway. Spanos seems happy with him so all the anger here towards TT won't change squat.
        I believe any GM would have picked Herbert and Slater. TT’s stock would only rise if others with draft influence had been trying to go in different direction with those picks and I can’t fathom that was the case…..can you?

What makes me think TT’s job is secure is that baby Spanos can weigh in on all draft and FA decisions as much as he wants. A well respected experienced GM would probably politely tell Spanos he doesn’t need his input and that would be unacceptable.

remember that baby Spanos was head of scouting so he thinks he knows what he’s doing. All the well deserved TT complaints about lack of depth, not bringing in enough quality FA’s and bad drafts must be said about Spanos too.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

I believe any GM would have picked Herbert and Slater. TT’s stock would only rise if others with draft influence had been trying to go in different direction with those picks and I can’t fathom that was the case…..can you?

What makes me think TT’s job is secure is that baby Spanos can weigh in on all draft and FA decisions as much as he wants. A well respected experienced GM would probably politely tell Spanos he doesn’t need his input and that would be unacceptable.

remember that baby Spanos was head of scouting so he thinks he knows what he’s doing. All the well deserved TT complaints about lack of depth, not bringing in enough quality FA’s and bad drafts must be said about Spanos too.
          Yet Herbert was picked 6th behind Tua and Slater 13th. Had Slater gone sooner (since any GM would of picked him) then who was your no brainer?

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

And yet 2 QBs were picked before Herbert and 12 players were selected before Slater so no, not every GM would have drafted them.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Staley talked yesterday about Herbert being excellent with protecting the football.

Well, TBH Justin has 14 picks, tied for AFC lead.

Some of this is decision making--not going to intermediate, wide open options--a bit of no risk it, no biscuit.

We do need to often burn teams deep, and burn them bad.

And we need to sometimes take what's given to us.

It will come,
              for our 2nd year franchise QB.
              Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.
              Ben Herbert

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Here's an interesting breakdown on JH10 by Peyton Manning on you tube -
                Peyton Manning Breaks Down Justin Herbert & the Chargers’ Offense from their Week 9 win vs. the Eagles (Detail)My Twitter 👉 https://twitter.com/GoldenSports...
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Staley talked yesterday about Herbert being excellent with protecting the football.

Well, TBH Justin has 14 picks, tied for AFC lead.

Some of this is decision making--not going to intermediate, wide open options--a bit of no risk it, no biscuit.

We do need to often burn teams deep, and burn them bad.

And we need to sometimes take what's given to us.

It will come,
                  for our 2nd year franchise QB.
                  The weakness of the cover 2 is the middle of the field. The offense has a weakness on the O-line despite 3/5 of them being pretty good, they don't pass protect well enough in longer developing plays. The run game isn't too special other than Ekeler, and you need a run game to neutralize teams who like to bring defenders over for a blitz.

Comment

• RollingThunder
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

New Chargers record holder for TD's in a season in only his second year. Rivers was still riding the pine at this point in his career.

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Very humble guy.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                        Outback Goon
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Australia
                        • Send PM

We are so lucky

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

Think about the QB's and WR's this team has had over the years - Hadl, Fouts, Stan, and Rivers. To break this record considering his predecessors, he's pretty special. He's the most cool-headed of all of them too.
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X