• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I don't think he's the worst but I do think he was one of the slowest coaches to solve problems I've ever seen. I think he buried stuff rather than confronting and solving the problems and eventually it caught up to him.
    Lynn’s problem is that he’s an old school HC. He would probably be an ideal HC for us in the 90s or even early 2000s. There’s a lot of Marty in him. There’s an inflexibility to him that was evident his last year with us. Maybe it’s a Parcell coaching tree thing. I notice it with Arians as well before Brady became his QB.

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Lynn’s problem is that he’s an old school HC. He would probably be an ideal HC for us in the 90s or even early 2000s. There’s a lot of Marty in him. There’s an inflexibility to him that was evident his last year with us. Maybe it’s a Parcell coaching tree thing. I notice it with Arians as well before Brady became his QB.
      Listened to areally good interview of Arians after the superbowl in a phone interview I think with Cowherd...Basically he said he would hang it up if Byron Leftwich went somewhere else. He said it would take him to much effort and time to rebuild his coaching staff without him. I think Arians is a "Trust" kind of coach...once he trusts you then your in his high confidence level arena. I think he now has that with Brady. When Brady retires I think so too does Arians.
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• jubei
        Vagabond Ninja
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

I don’t know about the bolded part. McCoy lost to the 0-15 Browns. Marty’s game against the Pats that got him fired stands out also.
        I think he meant the shellacking loss of 52-0...shut out! It wasnt 52 but that was a popular number back in the old CMB days.

Comment

• AK47
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2019
          • Send PM

I think TT hired Lynn to supplement a deficiency we had in terms of toughness and mindset to run the ball. We hoped it would've translated to our run game and and o-line specifically imho. This is all within the Rivers' era.

Then we got Herbert and he did his thing. Lynn's approach doesn't really mesh.

Here's the thing. We can hate on TT and we can hate on the Spanos clan. One thing we can't hate on is...well two. First is that the last 4 drafted QBs in first round wearing a Chargers jersey was Brees, Eli (for a bit), Rivers, and Herbert. We have good mojo in terms of 1st round QBs!! That's a good thing. Two, coming into Herbert's 2nd season you have to give credit to the Spanos clan and to TT for going the Innovative route for our new coaching staff. The recycled yet fresh concepts, the coaching energy, the ownership/GM/HC synergy, usage of analytics, real-time changes. If Belicheat's Pats was like a traditional University of Pro Football. Perhap's Staley's Chargers are the Online University of Pro Football? LOL

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

I don’t know about the bolded part. McCoy lost to the 0-15 Browns. Marty’s game against the Pats that got him fired stands out also.
            Lynn is a punching bag for peoples frustrations, but his two losses to the Pats were masterpieces of bad total preparation. Those games were over when the Patriots successfully made it to the stadium.

Marty's loss to the Pats was a 10 on the Richter scale of misery: just a cluster fuck of 2nd half mental errors, injuries and bad luck.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

The team was a disaster on special teams, couldn't run the ball, couldn't tackle, couldn't block & wore out at the end of games......i'm not seeing the comparison with Marty/B. Ross/old school.

And yet this guy was still a 500 coach.

I think they missed out on opportunities his first two years, and then he got very little out of them the final two.

When a win against a fading Raiders team was your best win in two years, that says something.

At least McCoy beat the Super Bowl bound Falcons in Atlanta his final year.

Comment

• Xenos
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

The team was a disaster on special teams, couldn't run the ball, couldn't tackle, couldn't block & wore out at the end of games......i'm not seeing the comparison with Marty/B. Ross/old school.

And yet this guy was still a 500 coach.

I think they missed out on opportunities his first two years, and then he got very little out of them the final two.

When a win against a fading Raiders team was your best win in two years, that says something.

At least McCoy beat the Super Bowl bound Falcons in Atlanta his final year.
                And Lynn beat the Packers the previous year. And managed more than one AFC West division win his final year. Ultimately, it’s whatever. Though anyone that thinks McCoy was a better HC have selective memory.

Edit: yes you’re right about ST. Though we have had this problem for a long time. As for the other issues, it’s hard to compare seeing as how Marty and Ross had different offseasons and less injuries than Lynn did.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2020
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I don't think he's the worst but I do think he was one of the slowest coaches to solve problems I've ever seen. I think he buried stuff rather than confronting and solving the problems and eventually it caught up to him.
                  I agree some.. He was way too slow to make some adjustments, particularly with special teams. The offensive line inefficiencies I place more blame with TT where this has played out before under the coaching regime before Lynn. Also, Meyer had success in this league before and he did coach up a Panthers line to be much better than he mostly had with the Chargers..

Although I digress... I believe Steichen and Pep for that matter may turn out to be better than we thought, as did Reich.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

I think he meant the shellacking loss of 52-0...shut out! It wasnt 52 but that was a popular number back in the old CMB days.
                    The number was 51

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                      French Speaking Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Québec city
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

I think TT hired Lynn to supplement a deficiency we had in terms of toughness and mindset to run the ball. We hoped it would've translated to our run game and and o-line specifically imho. This is all within the Rivers' era.

Then we got Herbert and he did his thing. Lynn's approach doesn't really mesh.

Here's the thing. We can hate on TT and we can hate on the Spanos clan. One thing we can't hate on is...well two. First is that the last 4 drafted QBs in first round wearing a Chargers jersey was Brees, Eli (for a bit), Rivers, and Herbert. We have good mojo in terms of 1st round QBs!! That's a good thing. Two, coming into Herbert's 2nd season you have to give credit to the Spanos clan and to TT for going the Innovative route for our new coaching staff. The recycled yet fresh concepts, the coaching energy, the ownership/GM/HC synergy, usage of analytics, real-time changes. If Belicheat's Pats was like a traditional University of Pro Football. Perhap's Staley's Chargers are the Online University of Pro Football? LOL
                      For Brees, thanks to the Falcons.
                      With Eli and Rivers, you couldn't go wrong.
                      For Herbert, thanks to the Dolphins.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Utah
                        • Midnight Toker
                        • Send PM

Probably would have been better if we had gone 2-14 under Tyrod Taylor.

But all kidding aside, he’s an easy punching bag for the same people who foolishly think he’s one of the worst Chargers HC.
                        Yep I'm foolish... Because not one of... He is the worst coach in Chargers history.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Utah
                          • Midnight Toker
                          • Send PM

Most people have a short attention span or don’t know any better if they think he’s one of the worst coaches in Charger history.
                          Edit: some awards are more important than others. Getting ROTY is nice. Getting the rookie passing yard is whatever.

Like Lynn at the end of a game with the ball on the 2 yard line no time outs.... Type of attention span?

It doesn't matter to YOU. It does to me. 39 yards short of a record he could have gotten in one throw. Nah who cares run it. :wtf:

Comment

Working...
                          X