• Show
Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Allen got his team to the AFC Championship game in his 3rd season - that ain't bad. Give him credit.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• SuperCharged
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Utah
      • Midnight Toker
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Herbert is the better passer and is a passer first......Allen will run immediately if there is an opening..... Allen is a run first QB.... and because of that his passing is less consistent... Allen will make difficult throws then miss a simple short one or not see a wide open guy waving his arms.... Herbert i think is smarter.... and he appears to be better under pressure......

but they are similar physically in that both are big and strong and can run and both might have strongest arms in NFL....
      Don't know if I agree on this take on Allen. Screenshot 2021-07-31 194430.jpg

Those are some solid solid passing #'s. He's in year 3 here. Herbert almost had those same passing stats.
      4336 31 10

So I think Herbert is equal to Allen right now which means he's well ahead in development.

I just cannot wait to see what he does with time to pass and not running for his life or taking a shot. Time to let a play develop? Also some of the camp clips. He's droppin dimes.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

Those are some solid solid passing #'s. He's in year 3 here. Herbert almost had those same passing stats.
        4336 31 10

So I think Herbert is equal to Allen right now which means he's well ahead in development.

I just cannot wait to see what he does with time to pass and not running for his life or taking a shot. Time to let a play develop? Also some of the camp clips. He's droppin dimes.
        Allen's QBR this past season was outstanding at 107.2. Herbie's rating was very good, especially for a rook, at 98.3.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

I think Herbert will continue to get some designed runs ... a few zone reads, some boots and waggles ... the occasional sneak .. and some unscripted stuff like scrambling. Herbert can be really devastating at that stuff. I just don't think they want too much of it, because they don't want him to take the pounding.

They will dial up just enough designed running stuff to make defenses defend everything. Make them be really disciplined vs zone reads ... make them sit back and defend the backside of the play and leave the backside pursuit from gobbling up the frontside zone runs.

The thing with Herbie's play last year that people seem to forget, is that there were a lot of plays that were close, but not quite there. But most of those are plays that as he gets the reps, they will get better and better. In the next two season, I expect his play on schedule is going to continue to get a whole lot better, and it is pretty solid right now. If Justin can sustain more of those extensive drives, in addition to all those big downfield throws, he is going to be simply amazing.

The only other thing that may cut into his production is if our own running game can get in synch. We will continue to be a mainly passing team, but if we can mix in better balance and help control the clock and wear down pass rushers. And as awesome as that could be for our offense and the extra points, it may also really help the D. Staley was protecting some fairly close leads with the Rams last year. We might not have the top end talent on D, but they can probably mix in enough big plays to offset that if our O is scoring points and making teams play on long fields.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

4336 31 10

Thats my take. Either he’s very talented but took until Yr3 to put it all together behaviorally, or he had a fluke one-year excellence. I don’t buy the fluke theory - i think he’s putting it together and will be a solid top shelf QB for the next 10 yrs. His year 1 and 2 issues were his mistakes. Stop making the mistakes and you change the equation - thats what he did Yr3.

I still think of that one dude who started against us and threw 4 or 5 or ? Picks by halftime whenever I hear the Bills team.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• cmplxgal
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • New Jersey
              • Send PM

From The Athletic:

2021 NFL Quarterback Tiers: 50 coaches and evaluators rank the league’s starters

Mike Sando Jul 28, 2021

The all-star voting panel included seven general managers, five head coaches, 11 coordinators, 15 executives, seven quarterbacks coaches and five others working in front offices or in other coaching capacities. They placed 34 veteran quarterbacks into one of five tiers, from best (Tier 1) to worst (Tier 5). Quarterbacks were placed in the tiers in which they received the most votes, ordered by average vote. Unanimous Tier 1 choices averaged 1.00, while the lowest-rated player averaged 4.34.

10. Justin Herbert

Tier 1 votes: 4 | Tier 2 votes: 37 | Tier 3 votes: 7 | Tier 4 votes: 2 | 2020 Tier: NA

No quarterback has debuted higher than Herbert since the second year of Quarterback Tiers (the entire league debuted in 2014, the first year of the survey). The 2.14 average vote for Herbert beats the 2.52 debut for Prescott in 2017 and the 2.53 debut for Baker Mayfield in 2019. Those other players got zero top-tier votes in their debuts. Herbert got four. Too soon?

“What did our illustrious former Stanford, Arizona and Minnesota head coach say, something about crowning their asses?” an offensive coach said, referring to the late Dennis Green. “Yes, go ahead and crown his ass. I think he’s going to do it again. He’s got juice, he’s got attitude, and the right attitude. Now, he hasn’t hit any adversity, and expectations were so low last year. Now what?”

There are some uncertainties. New offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi brings extensive experience under Sean Payton in New Orleans, but he doesn’t bring Payton. The Lions ranked 18th in offensive EPA and 24th in offensive points per game (18.6) during Lombardi’s 23-game run as coordinator in Detroit over the 2014 and 2015 seasons. Stafford ranked 17th in EPA per attempt and 24th in yards per attempt over that span.

“I gave Herbert a 1,” an evaluator said. “We played him last year, and the guy had it all: athletic, arm strength, timing, anticipation. I give him more credit because he did it his rookie year, he maintained it through the season. Unfortunately, he’s another guy who has a new staff, no continuity.”

The few voters placing Herbert below the second tier wanted to see how staff changes and expectations altered the dynamic, especially now that opponents have studied him. There could be statistical regression for Herbert and quarterbacks overall as fans are allowed back into stadiums that were so quiet last season; empty stadiums could partly explain why third-and-long production spiked away from home in 2020. These are not major concerns.

An exec pointed to Herbert’s poise as his greatest intangible trait. An offensive coordinator called Herbert “an unbelievably accurate down-the-field thrower” who handles pressure well.

“He’s smart and he just kind of gets it,” a head coach said. “If you get someone who can see and anticipate and is smart, and has the athletic ability and size, you’ve got something. The sky is the limit for the kid. The players love him there. I have him as a low 1 because you’ve gotta see it. Is it a Carson Wentz (in 2017) thing or is it real? I know that when we played him, he felt like a 1. The ball went where it should go.”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Long and juicy.
                Good film and analysis.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Remember when they drafted Herbert and one of the guys said "no good QB's ever come from Oregon"? Who was that and what does he say now?
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• CivilBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                    Remember when they drafted Herbert and one of the guys said "no good QB's ever come from Oregon"? Who was that and what does he say now?
                    Whoever said it didn’t do his homework. Fouts also went to Oregon. I heard he was pretty good.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                      French Speaking Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Québec city
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

Whoever said it didn’t do his homework. Fouts also went to Oregon. I heard he was pretty good.
                      Pretty good ?!?!?!

According to Ranker College Football, M. Mariota is the best QB come from Oregon.
                      D. Fouts is 2nd and N. Turner is 29th !

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

I'm sure that was mentioned at the time. I don't recall who said it but it sure goes to how wrong we can be in some of our judgements - any and all of us.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                          French Speaking Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Québec city
                          • Send PM

Long time ago, I said Madonna will have less succes than Cindy Lauper !

Comment

Working...
                          X