• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pat_Swindle
    WustinSlurbert
    • Apr 2022
    • Send PM

Ohh my gosh, I just realized why Justin Herbert wears #10. Because he's #1 in our hearts, but #0 in his own mind.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2021
      • Send PM

Mike Sando, writer for Athletic, just released his 9th annual article ranking QB’s in Tiers. Herbert made the first Tier @ #5 just ahead of Joe Burrow #6.

The results reflect voting from 50 NFL coaches and executives, including six general managers, eight head coaches, 10 evaluators, 12 coordinators, six quarterback coaches and seven execs whose specialties include analytics, game management and the salary cap. The remaining ballot was put together by four members of one team’s personnel department.

5. Justin Herbert

Herbert joins a short list of quarterbacks to reach Tier 1 before age 25. Mahomes, Andrew Luck and Deshaun Watson did it after leading their teams to the postseason and winning there. Herbert pulled it off with a career 15-17 record as a starter and no postseason appearances.

“Man, I was so impressed with him live,” an offensive coach said. “He has a chance to do something special. He’s the best pure thrower of the three young guys (Herbert, Allen, Burrow). I didn’t realize he was that athletic. One of our studs was chasing him down and he got around him and was laughing at him the whole time. The competitive spirit, the athletic ability, I saw a fricking stud in our game.”

Combine some of Burrow’s accuracy with some of Allen’s size/athleticism and you’ve got Herbert.

“I think he’s the next guy, he is on his way, because the thing with him is, he’s not quite the passer, but he’s kind of like a bigger version of Aaron Rodgers,” another voter said. “When we played them, I was like, ‘Damn, I didn’t know this dude could move that well or he was this accurate.’ Five, six, seven years down the road, I think Mahomes, Josh Allen and Justin Herbert will be the guys we’re talking about, the big three.”

No voter questioned whether Herbert could become a top-tier quarterback. Some did want to see him drive more team success before letting him borrow Dan Fouts’ gold jacket.

“It takes more time on task to truly be a top-tier guy,” a defensive coach said. “With those guys, it is like going to ‘Top Gun Maverick’ every single weekend because the stunts they pull are the equivalent of pulling 11 Gs and bending the air frame. It takes hours in that cockpit to operate that and not kill yourself and your team and crash the thing. When it is 17-0 at half, that is trying to land the thing in the Indian Ocean with 50 mph winds and 40-foot waves rocking the flight deck, and they manage to get it down or get it close.”

:More Q Please:

Comment

• jubei
        Vagabond Ninja
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover
        [B
        5. Justin Herbert[/B]

One of our studs was chasing him down and he got around him and was laughing at him the whole time. The competitive spirit, the athletic ability, I saw a fricking stud in our game.
        LOVED this lol! Laughing at him the whole time?

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

In the Madden 23 QB ratings, Herbert is lower than Dak Prescott. Prescott is 89 and Herbert is 88. This is serious BS. Herbert should at least be a 90.

Comment

• kgbpasha
            #болтап
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

#herbert #hype
            BOLTUP!

Comment

• JPPT1974
              April Showers and Easter
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Hopefully Herbert will prove that he can have a team riding on his shoulders and he sets the tone for the team.

Comment

• equivocation
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2021
                • Send PM

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

First, I could give a damn about Madden rankings. I find this time of year with all the players who feel disrespected by Madden kinda humorous.

The big thing is that Herbert has played great and put up monster numbers so far, and the rest of the team was being totally carried by him, especially the D. This is the 1st time I really feel like we are getting a team together that is worthy of having a QB like Herbert.

The big hope is that the message gets around. I think of this team a little like the teams Elway put together with Payton Manning. It needs to be, if you are a big money FA, great, we love that you are here ... but by the way, if you don't play at a high level your gone. And the rookies and younger players, you will have some room to grow, but ... again, we cannot afford to carry you very long if you don't lift your game and put it together or we will find someone that can.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    First, I could give a damn about Madden rankings. I find this time of year with all the players who feel disrespected by Madden kinda humorous.

The big thing is that Herbert has played great and put up monster numbers so far, and the rest of the team was being totally carried by him, especially the D. This is the 1st time I really feel like we are getting a team together that is worthy of having a QB like Herbert.

The big hope is that the message gets around. I think of this team a little like the teams Elway put together with Payton Manning. It needs to be, if you are a big money FA, great, we love that you are here ... but by the way, if you don't play at a high level your gone. And the rookies and younger players, you will have some room to grow, but ... again, we cannot afford to carry you very long if you don't lift your game and put it together or we will find someone that can.
                    Do you think Dak Prescott is better than Justin Herbert?

Having a complete team is what gets teams to succeed more. That's why Rodgers and Brees don't have more Super Bowls than the lone SBs they do have. You can have a great QB, but it's wasted if other areas on your team are weak.

Team is headed in the right direction thanks to Staley, and other things being righted about by the organization. They're making a run like when DEN had Peyton at QB, and when KC decided to surround Mahomes with the talent around him to make his SBs.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Do you think Dak Prescott is better than Justin Herbert?
                      No, of course not. But it's a video games, so who cares who is ranked higher.

Comment

• Parcells
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

No, of course not. But it's a video games, so who cares who is ranked higher.
                        A year ago after the greatest rookie season of all time for a QB they had Herbert ranked below Kaepernick.

A. A lot of us play Madden so it does matter to us.

B. He’s our guy and we feel disrespected on his behalf.

That’s why we care.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

The Kapernick thing I get. Herbert was ranked below Kapernick because at the time, Kapernick was the better player. Herbert was better rookie performance vs 1st-year performance (so still not exactly a 1-to-1 comparison) but Kapernick had continued to improve since his 1st season.

No one has any idea the algorithms/techniques that Madden uses, or how they come up with individual guys' scores. It's not something that they would ever advertise. Just a guess, but I bet it has something to do with making the team results come out right. Their model is probably skewed to the video game-ish view of the world, and if Herbert gets a really good score, it messes up and makes the Chargers really, really good. More so that they would get more backlash from fans about that than the Herbert thing. Just a guess, but I bet I'm right.

Even if the above is not true, what makes the "best" so you can really say who is "better". Best and better are completely subjective. Even if Madden has a really objective way of coming up with scores for players (not sure about that), the scores and their model/algorithm in the game is still likely full of subjectivity. Right it off as the pitfalls of classification.

It all comes down to the fact that the 2022 Chargers just need to go out and play. It's almost time for the regular season, and it will all play out week by week after that. If Madden is off, and I suspect they are, they will end up looking somewhat foolish in the end. At least that is what I am hoping. Just hard to get too worked up about something we have no info about how they come up with scores or exactly precisely how they fit into how each team performs.

Comment

Working...
                          X