• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    The Kapernick thing I get. Herbert was ranked below Kapernick because at the time, Kapernick was the better player. Herbert was better rookie performance vs 1st-year performance (so still not exactly a 1-to-1 comparison) but Kapernick had continued to improve since his 1st season.

No one has any idea the algorithms/techniques that Madden uses, or how they come up with individual guys' scores. It's not something that they would ever advertise. Just a guess, but I bet it has something to do with making the team results come out right. Their model is probably skewed to the video game-ish view of the world, and if Herbert gets a really good score, it messes up and makes the Chargers really, really good. More so that they would get more backlash from fans about that than the Herbert thing. Just a guess, but I bet I'm right.

Even if the above is not true, what makes the "best" so you can really say who is "better". Best and better are completely subjective. Even if Madden has a really objective way of coming up with scores for players (not sure about that), the scores and their model/algorithm in the game is still likely full of subjectivity. Right it off as the pitfalls of classification.

It all comes down to the fact that the 2022 Chargers just need to go out and play. It's almost time for the regular season, and it will all play out week by week after that. If Madden is off, and I suspect they are, they will end up looking somewhat foolish in the end. At least that is what I am hoping. Just hard to get too worked up about something we have no info about how they come up with scores or exactly precisely how they fit into how each team performs.
    I didnt find Kaep rated higher than Herbert in 21 or 22, maybe I’m looking in the wrong places. But Kaep hasn’t played since 2016, it would be absurd for him to be rated higher AFTER Herbie’s rookie season established JH as a legit above average starter. Kaep can’t even get a job as a backup.

i don’t care about Madden ratings or Madden anything either so I’m not the right guy on this topic. I only care that no star Charger is ever on the cover - thats the ultimate jinx.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post
      In the Madden 23 QB ratings, Herbert is lower than Dak Prescott. Prescott is 89 and Herbert is 88. This is serious BS. Herbert should at least be a 90.
      Prescott over Herbert? even for EA sports, that’s incredibly stupid…
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

A year ago after the greatest rookie season of all time for a QB they had Herbert ranked below Kaepernick.

A. A lot of us play Madden so it does matter to us.

B. He’s our guy and we feel disrespected on his behalf.

That’s why we care.
        Yes but Madden isnt very realistic anyways. Its fun but just isnt realistic.

Herbert being a 88 or 92...whats the difference? Ive played Madden a lot over the years and you can win with a QB that has a 75 rating and the rating will improve as the season goes on so it really isnt a big deal.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I didnt find Kaep rated higher than Herbert in 21 or 22, maybe I’m looking in the wrong places. But Kaep hasn’t played since 2016, it would be absurd for him to be rated higher AFTER Herbie’s rookie season established JH as a legit above average starter. Kaep can’t even get a job as a backup.

i don’t care about Madden ratings or Madden anything either so I’m not the right guy on this topic. I only care that no star Charger is ever on the cover - thats the ultimate jinx.
          Some of the Kapernick thing isn't him as a player. He is a huge distraction for a backup QB. No team wants to deal with that when Kapernick as a backup. Same thing with Tim Tebow. Too much negative attention for bottom-of-the-barrel players.

The other problem is that he had good stats, but is a terrible player. If you go back and watch his 2016 play, it was being on a horrible team, where defenses gave him a lot of dink and dunk stuff. and sat back in deep zones letting him take the trash underneath. His stats look WAY better than he is. But evidently, that is what Madden is going for, so OK. I get it. But in no way is Herbert a worse player, it is just how the game was done around them. And again, if it is the 49ers team being putrid with Kap, then to make the rest of the model come out ...

I get why their scores get wonky (or could see how). I agree, it is stupid, but if you think Madden is all about who is the best player ... it never was.

Kapernick in reality is a guy who might be an OK backup (broke man's) version of Lamar Jackson. Scheme guy who is OK if you are willing to run, run and run some more, throw in a bunch of RPO/bubble screens, and play action. But you can't ask him to go back and throw dropback stuff, he would only be any good if you are willing to let the play break down and let him scramble, because he can't do anything on time unless it is check down to the RB or screen it to someone.

Prescott vs Herbert thing is as much about marketing and such as it is about playing and ability. Cowboys are the most popular team in football, so there are a lot more Madden fans to be drawn in by that, than there are Chargers fans with Herbert. Plus, while the Chargers aren't the least popular teams, how many Chargers fans are outside the right demographics? I don't know for sure, but a lot of the loyal fan base still remembers watching the Air Coryell bunch, and you aren't going to sell a ton of Madden to that age group.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

Skip Bayless said he trusts Derek Carr more than Justin Herbert.

Skip must dislike Herbert for some weird reason. Maybe he thinks he's a threat to Tom Brady in the greatest quarterback of all time discussion.

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

I trust Carr over Herbert to find the fetal position when hes scared.
              .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
              .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
              .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
              .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
              .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
              .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
              .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
              .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
              .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Skip must dislike Herbert for some weird reason. Maybe he thinks he's a threat to Tom Brady in the greatest quarterback of all time discussion.
                Bayless is revising his season win total because of how impressed he was with how the raiders played in the HOF game????? Does he even realize how fucking stupid that sounds???? Maybe he should try reading his script out loud. I don't care that he likes the Raiders, but his reasoning is just so stupid. Of course that is Bayless.

The Raiders signed so many guys this offseason. I think a lot of people are getting excited because they have added a little bit of help in a lot of different areas. That can help teams. It would help a lot more if those guys were just being used to plug holes. Signing Jones is a good thing to compliment Crosby, but who do they have at DT? They got Perryman last year at LB, but who else do they have? Rock Ya-Sin is fine, he is a good player, and Trevon Moehrig and Nate Hobbs both played well last year. But they still need some help at CB, SS, LB and DT. On OL, they are really counting on a lot of guys who haven't done much to really step up. And the Raiders are not deep anywhere on their roster except maybe RB.
                Last edited by Steve; 08-06-2022, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Skip is just full of himself and loves to hear himself talk. Not a fan.

And yeah, the Raiders beat a team in PRE season that has had the #1 pick 2 years in a row and both teams played backups lol.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

I got the distinct impression based on what I saw on the field and the reactions from some of the players and the Jacksonville sidelines, the Raiders may have been doing some game planning. Typically, the only "game plan" is a few basic/standard plays, and then it is mostly about who will play when. Some teams will occasionally, do a bit more than usual, mostly to get their players a competitive advantage and try to win the game.

Usually, it is when a new coach takes over and is trying to fix a losing culture. Dennis Green used to put a lot of emphasis on winning preaseason games, and his teams had very good preseason records. He would play the starters a little bit longer, then play the backups a little longer, make sure the backups all had a little more time working together as a unit. It generates some preseason buzz and gets idiots like Bayless on board.

Comment

• PR#1
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Skip can KMA !!

Comment

• Pat_Swindle
                        WustinSlurbert
                        • Apr 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Skip is just full of himself and loves to hear himself talk. Not a fan.

And yeah, the Raiders beat a team in PRE season that has had the #1 pick 2 years in a row and both teams played backups lol.
                        Ok, so the Raiders have better depth than the Jaguars, is that what the HOF game meant? I would expect Skip Bayless, a Cowboys fan, to also root for the Raiders in the AFC West. Cowboys fans and Raiders fans seem like yin and yangs. Also, I think some people are overreacting to the addition of Davante Adams. Sure, he's real good, but he's also almost 30, and Carr ain't Rodgers. Something close to what D-Hop is right now.

Comment

• Shock&Awe
                          Great White North
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Skip is delusional on purpose. If you told him to put his house on the line he would pick Herbert 10/10 times. I don’t even think the drunkest doorknob at Allegiant on a Sunday afternoon would pick Carr over Herbert. Well actually…maybe I’m giving them too much credit.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍