Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

:demonkid:
    Neither video will play but one is 2.5 min the other is 4.5 minutes. Like i said, he doesnt do it nearly enough. IF he is retained, it is because we have no other better options.... otherwise C-Ya. And id sign him to a 1 year deal. However, in a contract year maybe he reaches 10 sacks for only the 2nd time in his career.
    An EDGE rusher should be a priority next draft.
    11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
    35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
    37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
    66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
    69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
    100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
    110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
    140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
    181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
    225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• SuperCharged
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Utah
      • Midnight Toker
      • Send PM

I see that differently.
      SupaMel is still capable of taking over games. See our only playoff win in recent memory.
      2020 will be a critical season for a few of our own homegrown talent.
      I suspect MI3 will be retained.
      I don't. I think he will be gone unless he has a stellar season.

Comment

• SuperCharged
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Utah
        • Midnight Toker
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
        OL would slide to Boas on every single play without Mel on the other side. Joey gets more opportunities because we have Mel. At any rate, I never, NEVER, like to see them let a player go if they don't have someone better. The idea is to get better, not worse. Let me know when you have someone better, then I'll agree we should replace him.
        That is what Free Agency is for and the Draft. He will be playing for a contract. Mediocre and he will be replaced.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

I suspect mel is allowed to walk because I have a feeling we’ll be transitioning to a more traditional 43
          with bigger DEs that can help in run support

just think the ground game is going to make its way back to the NFL ala SF and Balt and Telesco Lynn wants to get ahead of the game.
          Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Chargers' Kenneth Murray Preparing to Handle Defensive Play Calls

Jason B. Hirschhorn

8 hours ago
            Like quarterbacks on offense, someone on the defense has to relay the play calls and make adjustments at the line of scrimmage. Those responsibilities typically fall on a veteran player, but not always. If Los Angeles Chargers rookie linebacker Kenneth Murray has his way, he will have those duties in 2020.
            "I made the calls and checks all three years," Murray said on the RapSheet and Friends podcast, highlighting his ability to quickly internalize a playbook at a young age.

Oklahoma, Murray's alma mater and a Big 12 powerhouse, has built its reputation in recent years for its high-flying offense. Still, the program improved defensively last season thanks in part to Murray's emergence as one of the nation's top linebackers. He possesses the athleticism to close quickly on ball carriers and the intelligence to quickly diagnose plays before and after the snap. The Chargers believe those traits will serve him well as he acclimates to the NFL.

Murray will have to battle for a role early in his career. The Chargers return veteran Denzel Perryman and second-year pro Drue Tranquill and added Nick Vigil in free agency. Murray has the potential to grow into the best of the group, but the coronavirus-affected offseason could limit his ability to contribute as early as he might otherwise.

Accordingly, whether Los Angeles opts to give play-call responsibilities to Murray this year remains to be seen. Even so, the rookie feels comfortable with the way his preparation has unfolded so far.

"For sure," Murray said. "It's just something that I don't have a problem with. I'm extremely comfortable doing that. It's what I'm preparing for right now which is why I spent so much time in it right now. Just get it down pat so that way if that's given to me, appointed to me this season, I'm able to go out there prepared and everybody can count on me to be able to get everybody lined up."

-- Jason B. Hirschhorn is an award-winning sports journalist and Pro Football Writers of America member. Follow him on Twitter: @by_JBH
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Brock Bowers N.M.W.
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Pipefitter Illinois State University
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Neither video will play but one is 2.5 min the other is 4.5 minutes. Like i said, he doesnt do it nearly enough. IF he is retained, it is because we have no other better options.... otherwise C-Ya. And id sign him to a 1 year deal. However, in a contract year maybe he reaches 10 sacks for only the 2nd time in his career.
              An EDGE rusher should be a priority next draft.

Even if we part with Ingram, there is a decent chance his replacement is already on the roster...if we see Nwosu step up his pass rushing, which we saw flashes of last year, I think he may well be our next Leo...

I also think Ingram may well be back if we have success, and I don't think he will break the bank...he won't play for cheap, but a bit of a discount for him to finish his career with the Bolts is not impossible.
              But we'll see...
              The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Kenneth Murray strives to help, inspire Chargers' new-look LB corps

play

0:33
                /
                1:10

2:00 AM AKDT The Chargers plan on having Murray be a sideline-to-sideline defender in both the run and pass games. Kevin Jairaj/USA TODAY Sports

• Lindsey ThiryESPN
                  Kenneth Murray buried his head into hands, then began to cry.

The former Oklahoma linebacker sat in the living room of his childhood home in Missouri City, Texas, surrounded by family members who simultaneously erupted in celebration.

"It was just crazy energy once I got the call," Murray said. "Emotional. It's been a long time coming for us."

The call, just moments earlier, was from Los Angeles Chargers general manager Tom Telesco, who informed Murray that the Chargers were selecting him with the No. 23 overall pick in the NFL draft.

"It just really took me all by surprise," Murray said on draft night. "I just couldn't control my emotions."

For the Chargers, the selection of Murray was part of a carefully executed plan.

Best of NFL Nation

Bengals get creative with virtual meetings
                  Ravens' gift to Lamar: Two vise-gripped WRs
                  Jaguars belong to Minshew -- for now
                  Murray out to help, inspire Chargers' LBs
                  Broncos see big leap in Year 2 under Fangio
                  Post-draft NFL Power Rankings
                  After selecting Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert with the No. 6 overall pick, the Bolts weren't scheduled to pick again until the second round at No. 37 overall. But as Murray remained available later into the first round, the Chargers took to the phones to find a trade partner. The New England Patriots sent the Bolts the No. 23 overall pick in exchange for second- and third-round selections.

"He's a guy that we had our eyes on, we had a plan," Chargers coach Anthony Lynn said. "He plays this game like old-school linebackers ... Also, he has that leadership, those intangibles that I really like in a young man."

Murray is strong, long, fast, and physical, according to Lynn, and has the traits to lead a defense.

"When you tie that in with what he's done off the football field, and the type of person he is," Lynn said. "He was just one of my favorite players in the draft, to be honest with you."

Murray's father, Kenneth Sr., is a Baptist pastor. His mother, Dianne, is a retired police officer. When Murray was 11 years old, his parents adopted three children with special needs to join Kenneth and his biological sister, making a family of seven.

"It's made me extremely selfless and also has taught me what gratitude is," Murray said. "Just taught me to be grateful for the little things in life."

Murray's younger brothers, Lenny and James, are non-verbal and Lenny is confined to a wheelchair. His adopted sister, Nyia, is able to speak but has difficulty reading at 19 years old.

Murray has long found joy in carrying his brothers around, given they're vastly undersized for their ages. He's found joy in watching sports with them and has endless appreciation for his parents, who have tirelessly set a caring example.
                  When it came to the pursuit of his NFL dream, Murray said his siblings -- who often attend his football games -- weren't his only inspiration. He was also motivated by his parents, who always made certain his siblings made it to their numerous doctors' appointments and always made sure he got to the gym.

"Just seeing how much excitement they get from sports and watching sports and not even being able to communicate and seeing how they interact at my games," Murray said about his siblings, "I have no other choice but to give it my all on a daily basis."

Lynn quickly learned of Murray's innate desire to help others during the draft process. But Lynn also stated, rather matter-of-fact, that it was Murray's talent that earned him a spot with the Chargers.

"You could be the greatest person in the world," Lynn said. "But if you can't play, I can't help you. Kenneth can play, and that's what got my attention first."

Murray joins a linebacking corps that includes Drue Tranquill -- a fourth-round pick last year -- and Nick Vigil, whom the Bolts signed to a one-year, $1.2-million contract in free agency.

The Chargers have put considerable effort into filling defensive holes as they attempt to overcome last season's disappointing 5-11 finish and remain in pursuit of the Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs.

In fact, it's the high-octane Chiefs that made Murray a must-get player for the Bolts.

"He can cover a lot of space," Lynn said. 'Kansas City has a lot of speed, and I think that every pick we take, every move we make, we have to have them in mind."

Said Bradley: "That's why you're seeing a guy like Kenneth Murray get drafted."

Murray is 6-foot-2 and 241 pounds. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.52 seconds at February's NFL scouting combine.

Bradley described him as an alpha male with a strong personality who will provide flexibility. Murray is expected to master both inside positions, weakside and middle linebacker, to provide versatility. Vigil, touted by coaches for his intelligence, will also be expected to play both spots. 2020 NFL draft coverage

• |
                  • |
                  • |

But it's Murray who will eventually be depended on to cover dynamic playmakers on offense, especially those who pop from the Chiefs' backfield.

"I can do that extremely well," Murray said. "It is something that I was tasked with doing all throughout college, so I take -- just look at my athletic ability and my speed and my range and all the things that I bring to the table."

In three seasons at Oklahoma, Murray started all 42 games and finished his career with 325 tackles, including 36.5 for a loss, and 9.5 sacks. In daily practices, he lined up across from three quarterbacks who have since been drafted -- Cleveland Browns starter Baker Mayfield, Arizona Cardinals starter Kyler Murray and Jalen Hurts, who the Philadelphia Eagles selected in the second round last month.

"Those guys are all great in their own ways and definitely made me better as a player because I got to compete against all three of them," Murray said, noting that Sooners practice typically pitted starters versus starters. "It was kind of quarterback-versus-middle-linebacker type thing and that's what we did, so that helped me be who I am as a football player."

Murray will contribute early with the Chargers, but his impact might not be felt immediately. Because of the coronavirus pandemic, the Bolts, like the rest of the NFL, are unable to conduct the offseason program and rookie minicamp in person and must settle for virtual lessons behind computer screens.

However, Murray is not concerned about losing time in his development.

"My biggest quality is my work ethic," Murray said. "I'm a guy that is going to come in and set the tone. My work ethic -- I'm going to come in and work extremely hard."

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Very alpha, very cool. Hopefully his presence signals the end of our oft times complacent D.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Just a great young man.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Just a great young man.
                          indeed!
                          He is going to be a difference maker on the field.

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X