• Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

I expect great things from Murray.
    We have hit a home run.
    However, initially, I expect Tranquill to be better at reading plays, and not biting too hard.
    Experience over intensity and athleticism.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

I thought James was our defensive leader?
      ... awkward....
      Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
        I thought James was our defensive leader?
        ... awkward....
        Who’s gonna tell Joey?
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Who’s gonna tell Joey?
          You know the Golden Rule? The man with the most gold rules (Bosa!).....:thumbsup:
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

I expect Murray to initially line up at WILL,
            so he can do the run and hit thing.

Tranquill, at MIKE, is my candidate to call plays,
            and this naturally puts him in the leadership role.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

There is really not that much difference between our Mike and Will spots. Frequently Perryman has lined up as Will as well. Ken Norton played exclusively at MIKE, with Gary Plummer being the WILL in the 49er old version of this D.

Our LB in the past have really been exposed when we face a 3 x 1 formation. If the RB goes to the weak side, toward the SE, then the LB has a lot of ground to cover. That was the point of getting a guy like Murray, who can really run and cover that ground.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Holy shiite, I had no idea about Kenneth Murray's life. His parents are special people. I want him to succeed more than ever now. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-brother-death

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                  Holy shiite, I had no idea about Kenneth Murray's life. His parents are special people. I want him to succeed more than ever now. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-brother-death
                  Yeah, even if it takes extra time.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

From the Athletic on the mostly forgotten and written off Murray:

Kenneth Murray Jr. ‘stacking’ good days

One of the biggest surprises of the season so far is the play of third-year linebacker Kenneth Murray Jr.

Murray has looked fast, physical and, most importantly, much more comfortable in the scheme and his assignments. He is playing the run really well, fitting into the right gaps, shedding blocks and making plays on the ball. And he has also flashed in coverage. One play against the Raiders in Week 1, where Murray fought through a pick to cover running back Ameer Abdullah on a wheel route down the right sideline and force an incompletion, really stood out.

I think two things are at play here.

1. Murray, who had ankle surgery in April, is finally healthy. He battled through a shoulder injury in his rookie season in 2020 that eventually required surgery. And last season, Murray suffered an ankle injury on a freak incident in practice in Week 4. He stepped on a pylon while making a catch after individual drills. Murray missed five games before returning but ultimately needed surgery in the spring when the ankle did not heal with rest during the first few months of the offseason. When assessing Murray’s first two seasons, injuries must be considered.

2. Murray has a much better understanding of his roles and responsibilities in Staley’s defense. Murray told me this week that he has been at the Chargers’ facility every day since the start of OTAs in May. He did not get back on the practice field until late August, but while he was rehabbing, he dove into the playbook and film.

“I’m not an excuses guy, but at the same time, I feel like everything is a critical part of the story,” Murray said this week. “Everything happens for a reason. I wouldn’t be the person I am without going through what I went through so far, and I’m proud of the person I am. I feel like I’ve grown a lot through all these experiences that I’ve gained. It’s only made me a better person. It’s only made me a tougher warrior. So that’s just what I want to portray out there and continue to portray that no matter what. I’m going to battle through adversity. I’m going to go out into adversity and just continue to keep fighting. That’s what I want people to see from me.”

GO DEEPER

How stopping the run has helped Chargers' retooled defense create pass rush advantages

Teammates are noticing Murray’s improvement.

“I’ve seen a player who is very, very physical,” linebacker Drue Tranquill said. “He’s very, very disruptive. And I think he’s just playing to his strengths. He’s a big, physical, long linebacker who has range, and he’s put a lot of work in in the offseason. I’ve seen it. I’ve seen him in the film room. I’ve seen him working on his craft, and it’s showing.”

Added Murray: “I just want to keep stacking. I’m just trying to keep my head down, keep improving every day, and that’s really just my mindset.”

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Good news! I’ve noticed Murray looking much better. Not ready to crown him yet but the improvement is there

Comment

• Riverwalk
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2021
                        • Send PM

I picked him as the breakout player of the year on page 3 of that thread.

So far so good!

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2022
                          • Send PM

I didn't want to give up on him after two years of being injured and two different coaching staffs. I hope he's ready to be a very good player for us and can be here beyond his rookie deal.

Comment

Working...
                          X