• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kingcrimson
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2019
    • Send PM

2020 Chargers Re-draft

Ok ok it’s too soon, but many people seem unhappy with the picks.

There’s no way to tell how the draft would have played out, but only using who’s available on the Chargers 2 1st rounders, 4, 5, 6, and 7, how would your draft look?
  • Cdn Bolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Ontario , Canada
    • Send PM

I did this for an exercise. I would give the draft a C+ because they took no OL when we at least need a swing OT presuming 3rd rnd div 2 Trey Pipkins is our new starting LT. These picks were mainly the best who had fallen at positions of need & their CBS ranking

#6 QB Justin Herbert (Simmons would have been better value but feel you take a franchise QB if you're picking this high and a player like Herbert is available)
    #37 RB Jonathan Taylor - 31 ranked
    #71 OT Josh Jones ( 17 ranked and the steal ARI would take)
    #112 LB Troy Dye - 82 ranked
    #151 OC Nick Harris - 72 ranked
    #186 WR Donovan Peoples- Jones -92 ranked
    #220 CB Dane Jackson - 138 ranked
    Last edited by Cdn Bolt; 04-26-2020, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

1. Herbert - if the qb is not a reach, and you don't have one, take the qb: Simmons/Becton are not the 2nd coming of LT/Ogden
      1. trade up for Murray
      4. Joshua Kelley - i like him the more i watch: better than the Utah rb who went in the 3rd (more explosive): big definite need with Ekeler and the injured/smallish Justin Jackson
      5. Joe Reed - i had him in my prediction: why the hell would i want this pick changed
      6. anyone but a Golden Domer
      7. KJ Hill - great value and might well be the teams #3 receiver

Aside from Herbert & the Domer, lots of bpa choices
      Last edited by powderblueboy; 04-26-2020, 09:40 AM.

Comment

• AsaFLBoltfan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2020
        • Longwood , FL
        • Manager
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Kingcrimson View Post
        Ok ok it’s too soon, but many people seem unhappy with the picks.

There’s no way to tell how the draft would have played out, but only using who’s available on the Chargers 2 1st rounders, 4, 5, 6, and 7, how would your draft look?
        I trust TT and staff more than myself, so even though I’m not head over heels about this Draft. I think it’s good, the Draft as a whole will depend on Herbert’s performance. Which we’ll need at least 2-3 seasons to properly to decide on that. Murray and Hill I think we’ll be the 2 keys, this side of Herbert.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Yeah, Id only have Herbert and Hill. Replace all the guys in the middle. Cleveland in 2nd even though Murray may have been there.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
            Yeah, Id only have Herbert and Hill. Replace all the guys in the middle. Cleveland in 2nd even though Murray may have been there.
            Baltimore would of took Murray at 28 had we not traded up for him. They took a LB there as it was.

At any rate, it is what it is.
            11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
            35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
            37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
            66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
            69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
            100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
            110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
            140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
            181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
            225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• FliptheSwitch56
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Mar 2020
              • Send PM

I wouldn't have traded into the 1st round, with the 2nd and 3rd, so....here's my hindsight 20/20 draft.
              1. Isaiah Simmons, LB Clemson
              2. Yetur Gross-Matos, Edge PSU - don't see being able to re-sign both Bosa and Ingram, so get a high rated prospect poised to replace whomever leaves via FA.
              3. Josh Jones, OT Houston
              4. Jacob Eason, QB Washington - Just don't see Herbert playing in 20-21, unless due to injury or throwing in the towel at year's end. They are going to see what Tyrod will do this year so they can decide if he stays or goes after the season. Lots of QBs hiting FA market after next year.
              5. Bryce Hall, CB Virginia
              6. Eno Benjamin, RB Ariz St.
              7. Benito Jones, DT Mississippi

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

agree that am better w/Kelly than landing the injury prone Zach Moss, and thought it an imperative to get someone to handle the load instead of Austin/JJ
                RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

This is the draft that I would have done based upon the players that were available as the draft happened.

1/6: Isaiah Simmons, LB, Clemson
                  2/37: Jonathan Taylor, RB, Wisconsin
                  3/71: Josh Jones, OT, Houston
                  3/74: Lloyd Cushenberry, C, LSU
                  4/112: Albert Okwuegbunam, TE, Missouri
                  5/151: Trevis Gipson, DE, Tulsa
                  6/186: Quez Watkins, WR, Southern Mississippi
                  7/220: Eno Benjamin, RB, Arizona State

IMO, our actual draft is a study in what happens when a team fails to use a proper BPA analysis. The failure to draft Simmons had a cascading effect that largely destroyed the draft the Chargers had.

Simmons is better than Murray, and by failing to take Simmons, we wasted our picks in rounds two and three. We could have had Jonathan Taylor and Josh Jones with those picks. Josh Jones, a faller, also happens to play our position of greatest need.

Further, there is no way that I am trusting Pouncey to stay healthy. Cushenberry has long term starting potential and was available in round three. The Browns were willing to trade that pick and I would would have traded one or more future picks to make that extra pick available to select Cushenberry.

I understand that not everyone liked Okwuegbunam, but his 4.49 speed at TE interests me and with Henry, I thing matchup problems could have been created. Instead, we will get to suffer those matchup problems as Okwuegbunam gets paired with Fant for the Broncos.

Gipson is a DE with potential that I think represents good value at #151.

When the team needs a player with long speed to stretch defenses, it helps to draft a player that actually does that. I do not think Watkins is any better than Reed or Hill, but I do think his 4.35 speed provides something missing from our receiving unit.

Eno Benjamin represents good value at #220. Zane Lewis, a CB, who ended up as an UDFA, also might have been worth considering here.

I will never be convinced that Herbert and Murray are worth as much as Simmons, Taylor and Jones--no way, not even close and very, very frustrating. There was a good draft there to be had. I think we chose not to have it.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                    1. Herbert - if the qb is not a reach, and you don't have one, take the qb: Simmons/Becton are not the 2nd coming of LT/Ogden
                    1. trade up for Murray
                    4. Joshua Kelley - i like him the more i watch: better than the Utah rb who went in the 3rd (more explosive): big definite need with Ekeler and the injured/smallish Justin Jackson
                    5. Joe Reed - i had him in my prediction: why the hell would i want this pick changed
                    6. anyone but a Golden Domer
                    7. KJ Hill - great value and might well be the teams #3 receiver

Aside from Herbert & the Domer, lots of bpa choices
                    Good call on Joe Reed.
                    I like his ball skills.

Warning: Julian and Romeo Okwara Domers are coming for you.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                      Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                      • Feb 2019
                      • McLean Illinois
                      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                      • Send PM

Really? a "redraft"? Already?

Sure, you can make it look good filling in prospects, BPA as ranked by pundits, or by fans on this board. Obviously didn't match up with what TT and Lynn had....I'm sure they stuck to their board, based on talent and our needs as they perceived them....

Now...in a couple of years, when we see what these players are really like....then you would do a redraft, I think....but knock yourselves out, I guess.
                      The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post
                        This is the draft that I would have done based upon the players that were available as the draft happened.

1/6: Isaiah Simmons, LB, Clemson
                        2/37: Jonathan Taylor, RB, Wisconsin
                        3/71: Josh Jones, OT, Houston
                        3/74: Lloyd Cushenberry, C, LSU
                        4/112: Albert Okwuegbunam, TE, Missouri
                        5/151: Trevis Gipson, DE, Tulsa
                        6/186: Quez Watkins, WR, Southern Mississippi
                        7/220: Eno Benjamin, RB, Arizona State

IMO, our actual draft is a study in what happens when a team fails to use a proper BPA analysis. The failure to draft Simmons had a cascading effect that largely destroyed the draft the Chargers had.

Simmons is better than Murray, and by failing to take Simmons, we wasted our picks in rounds two and three. We could have had Jonathan Taylor and Josh Jones with those picks. Josh Jones, a faller, also happens to play our position of greatest need.

Further, there is no way that I am trusting Pouncey to stay healthy. Cushenberry has long term starting potential and was available in round three. The Browns were willing to trade that pick and I would would have traded one or more future picks to make that extra pick available to select Cushenberry.

I understand that not everyone liked Okwuegbunam, but his 4.49 speed at TE interests me and with Henry, I thing matchup problems could have been created. Instead, we will get to suffer those matchup problems as Okwuegbunam gets paired with Fant for the Broncos.

Gipson is a DE with potential that I think represents good value at #151.

When the team needs a player with long speed to stretch defenses, it helps to draft a player that actually does that. I do not think Watkins is any better than Reed or Hill, but I do think his 4.35 speed provides something missing from our receiving unit.

Eno Benjamin represents good value at #220. Zane Lewis, a CB, who ended up as an UDFA, also might have been worth considering here.

I will never be convinced that Herbert and Murray are worth as much as Simmons, Taylor and Jones--no way, not even close and very, very frustrating. There was a good draft there to be had. I think we chose not to have it.
                        Where did we get an extra third? An imagined trade with no loss of 2020 draft capital?
                        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

Working...
                        X