• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jubei
    Vagabond Ninja
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

there are some very avg QBs who won the SB because when it came crunch time they came thru...I'm talking about Eli's 2nd SB and Flacco's lone SB. I especially remember Flacco heating up in the POs and being clutch thru that postseason to win it all. And IIRC Eli wasnt too shabby in his 2nd run. Sure they probably had more complete teams but some of those PO teams Rivers led were pretty damn good teams. they just seemed to all wanna suxor at the same time, both physically and mentally.
    It's time to turn the page with someone who may be less strung-out in the big games and see how that goes. Plenty of QBs play with fire like PManning and the GOAT but they kept themselves under check in the game. Hopefully we can call Justin H "Ice" in the future.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
      there are some very avg QBs who won the SB because when it came crunch time they came thru...I'm talking about Eli's 2nd SB and Flacco's lone SB. I especially remember Flacco heating up in the POs and being clutch thru that postseason to win it all. And IIRC Eli wasnt too shabby in his 2nd run. Sure they probably had more complete teams but some of those PO teams Rivers led were pretty damn good teams. they just seemed to all wanna suxor at the same time, both physically and mentally.
      It's time to turn the page with someone who may be less strung-out in the big games and see how that goes. Plenty of QBs play with fire like PManning and the GOAT but they kept themselves under check in the game. Hopefully we can call Justin H "Ice" in the future.
      Yep...so true...I loved watching Rivers when he was clutch...hated it when he panicked in crunch time and went into hero mode...

Comment

• Caslon
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

Hero mode, good one. You don't need that type QB if the overall coaching has your players playing as a cohesive unit. Maybe pessimistic of me, but I see this teams gameplay this season looking as if each offensive play was practiced just ONCE during the week. I hate watching that unfamiliarity and execution with the play book. Like watching a pre-season performance during a regular season game. Disheartening. I'm hoping that's not the case with Lynn and staff on offense.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
          French Speaking Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Québec city
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
          Hero mode, good one. You don't need that type QB if the overall coaching has your players playing as a cohesive unit. Maybe pessimistic of me, but I see this teams gameplay this season looking as if each offensive play was practiced just ONCE during the week. I hate watching that unfamiliarity and execution with the play book. Like watching a pre-season performance during a regular season game. Disheartening. I'm hoping that's not the case with Lynn and staff on offense.
          You're very pessimist. This offense is more dangerous than last year.
          The defense can be top 5 this year.
          Can we have ST ?

Comment

• Caslon
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

Can we have ST ?
            Dangerous to which team? Lol. I am optimistic about the defense.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
              With Whis and Rivers gone, and a rookie OC, this is Lynn's offense - in a time when leadership is more critical than ever. We'll see what Anthony is made of.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

The more you look into Justin Herbert, the more impressive his college career becomes. It was pretty much him and nobody else at Oregon. He carried that offense and that team.

In comparison, look at Tua's supporting cast:

WRs Henry Ruggs and Jerry Juedy were top 5 college WRs in 2019 and were drafted 12th and 15th respectively in April. His 3rd WR, Jaylen Waddle, was a top 10 WR. His left tackle, Jedrick Willis, was drafted No. 10. That's three offensive support players he had in college drafted in the first half of this year's draft. In 2018, in addition to Ruggs, Jeudy and Willis, he had two of the best RBs in college football on his offense. One was drafted in the 1st round in 2019; the other in the 3rd. His 2018 LT was a 1st round pick in 2019; his tight end was a 2nd rounder.

Joe Burrow was the first overall pick based on 1 year basically. Albeit it was an outstanding year. Burrow's supporting cast in 2019 included a WR and an RB who were 1st round picks this year. Two of his OL were 3rd round picks.

Then look at Herbert's supporting cast: Sr. WR Juwan Johnson and TE Jacob Breeland were both undrafted. Two of his OL were drafted in the 5th and 6th rounds this season. Last year one of his WRs was a 7th round pick. The only NFL caliber offensive skill player Herbert had in his supporting cast in college was Royce Freeman, whom he played with as a sophomore in 2017. CJ Verdell was his RB in 2018-19, and is one of the better college RBs. But beyond that, the talent around Herbert in college was pretty unimpressive, especially compared to what the two QBs drafted before him this year had. When he starts working out with his Bolt offensive teammates, which is looking like it won't happen until the summer of 2021, it will be with talent of the likes he's never played with before. And that right there gives me high hopes for him.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Ontario , Canada
                  • Send PM

I think we are a WC team at best too. I would be happy either way -see how far they could go w Tyrod or let Hebert start so he gets the experience even if it means missing the playoffs.

Exciting either way w the new QB prospects. I liked Rivers but he needs a perfect OL around him and didn't seem to be the fit anymore. Disappointing they couldn't put a team together for him in his time here but oh well.

Comment

• AZBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                    The more you look into Justin Herbert, the more impressive his college career becomes. It was pretty much him and nobody else at Oregon. He carried that offense and that team.

In comparison, look at Tua's supporting cast:

WRs Henry Ruggs and Jerry Juedy were top 5 college WRs in 2019 and were drafted 12th and 15th respectively in April. His 3rd WR, Jaylen Waddle, was a top 10 WR. His left tackle, Jedrick Willis, was drafted No. 10. That's three offensive support players he had in college drafted in the first half of this year's draft. In 2018, in addition to Ruggs, Jeudy and Willis, he had two of the best RBs in college football on his offense. One was drafted in the 1st round in 2019; the other in the 3rd. His 2018 LT was a 1st round pick in 2019; his tight end was a 2nd rounder.

Joe Burrow was the first overall pick based on 1 year basically. Albeit it was an outstanding year. Burrow's supporting cast in 2019 included a WR and an RB who were 1st round picks this year. Two of his OL were 3rd round picks.

Then look at Herbert's supporting cast: Sr. WR Juwan Johnson and TE Jacob Breeland were both undrafted. Two of his OL were drafted in the 5th and 6th rounds this season. Last year one of his WRs was a 7th round pick. The only NFL caliber offensive skill player Herbert had in his supporting cast in college was Royce Freeman, whom he played with as a sophomore in 2017. CJ Verdell was his RB in 2018-19, and is one of the better college RBs. But beyond that, the talent around Herbert in college was pretty unimpressive, especially compared to what the two QBs drafted before him this year had. When he starts working out with his Bolt offensive teammates, which is looking like it won't happen until the summer of 2021, it will be with talent of the likes he's never played with before. And that right there gives me high hopes for him.
                    Well said and very good point about Hebert having to carry the team with mediocre talent around him.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                      We Are The Storm!
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

Can we have ST ?
                      Id settle for a new ST coach

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

https://247sports.com/college/oregon...ers-149302554/

How serious was the Bengals' interest in Justin Herbert?

Going into the 2020 NFL Draft, there were a number of rumors involving Justin Herbert and where the former Oregon signal-caller might end up end going. Holding the No. 6 pick, the Los Angeles Chargers eventually drafted Herbert much like many expected would happen when the draft order was set at the end of the NFL season. But in the final weeks before the NFL Draft, rumors emerged for just about every NFL team that needed a quarterback and Herbert.

Would Miami take Herbert at No. 5 instead of Tua Tagovailoa? Would the Patriots make a move up for Justin Herbert? And would the Cincinnati Bengals either use the No. 1 pick or trade it away to get Herbert instead of Joe Burrow?

The speculation started with a number of prominent NFL analysts making that prediction, notably NFL.com's Lance Zeirlein and NBC Sports' Peter King.

"I’ve heard there are some inside the Bengals who are true believers in Herbert," reported King in early April leading to some thinking the franchise might prefer Herbert to Joe Burrow.

This week, Cincinnati Bengals insider Geoff Hobson published a piece detailing how the Bengals came to the conclusion to pick Joe Burrow and revealed that the Bengals' offensive coordinator Brian Callahan didn't make his decision on a quarterback until April.

Herbert left a strong impression on the Bengals' staff when they worked together at the Senior Bowl, an event that Burrow and Tagovailoa did not attend.

"We liked Herbert and we had the best evaluation you can get on a quarterback. We had him for a whole week, so you could see how fast he could learn an offense, how he could bring other guys along and how he responded in stressful situations. We left there feeling very positive about him," said Callahan.

While the Senior Bowl didn't change the Bengals' eventual decision to draft Burrow, it radically shifted Herbert's draft stock. The former Oregon quarterback was coming off a Rose Bowl victory where he was named the Offensive MVP and kept the momentum at the Senior Bowl, winning Practice player of the week and Senior Bowl MVP.

During the Senior Bowl, Callahan caught up with reporters to answer some questions about the South roster, including quarterback Justin Herbert.

"He’s very talented physically. He’s got prototypical size and athletic ability. He has a really, really strong arm." Callahan continued, "On top of that, he’s extremely intelligent and he’s very conscientious. He gathers information, he can process it and he can call it. He went under center for the first time, probably, in his career and he answered that bell with flying colors. Every day I continue to be impressed with the things we ask him to do and he answers really well."

Herbert is now a Charger and some of the inner workings and potential scenarios from the 2020 NFL Draft are now irrelevant, but Herbert's ability to make a lasting impression on the staff with the No. 1 pick should not be ignored.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

I like the Herbert pick. I liked him before the draft, and there is not one thing i have seen in TC that gives me pause . Big, fast, rocket arm ... those are three things you cannot coach into a player. I read the arm strength improvement and those that point to Brees. I generally don’t buy it - you got the arm he brings and thats pretty much it. But footwork, proper setting and mechanics, accuracy, I think a good pro QB coach fixes the first two and that brings up the accuracy. He’s got the dedication, attitude, desire, and is open to learn and improve

he knows he had a revolving door of shitty Offensive coaching at OU that did him no favors and looks forward to a real pro QB coach that focuses all time and energy on improving him.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X