• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antonio’s Gates
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2020
    • Send PM

Perryman A Cut Candidate?

The Packers might not have room for Jamaal Williams. Dante Pettis could be out in San Francisco. Here's how the NFL draft shook loose trade and cut candidates.

Linebacker Denzel Perryman

The oft-injured Miami product was able to tie his career high by playing 14 games in 2019, but the Chargers were using Perryman as only a two-down linebacker. He took just 20 snaps on third down all season, and when they traded up to draft Kenneth Murray in the first round, it likely came at the expense of Perryman's spot in the lineup.

Los Angeles would save only about $1.7 million by cutting the 27-year-old Perryman, but that would help free up space for the team to pursue a veteran left tackle such as Jason Peters. Perryman's contract also is tradable, and the Chargers could recoup a sixth- or seventh-round pick for the veteran.
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Perryman to Fullback.
    you're welcome.
    Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I was kinda thinking safety, but whatevs.

Comment

• rikardo
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Murray will be better at one of the 2 OLB spots
        Dont think he is ready for MLB (has to do a better job with inside blockers)
        He is a great blitzer IMO

Oklahoma vs Baylor 2019
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxNHSs3jB30

Oklahoma vs Texas 2019 (in 40 minutes)

Side note: Really glad CeeDee Lamb was not drafted by the Raiders or Broncos.

Comment

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
          https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-nfl-draft#LAC

Linebacker Denzel Perryman

The oft-injured Miami product was able to tie his career high by playing 14 games in 2019, but the Chargers were using Perryman as only a two-down linebacker. He took just 20 snaps on third down all season, and when they traded up to draft Kenneth Murray in the first round, it likely came at the expense of Perryman's spot in the lineup.

Los Angeles would save only about $1.7 million by cutting the 27-year-old Perryman, but that would help free up space for the team to pursue a veteran left tackle such as Jason Peters. Perryman's contract also is tradable, and the Chargers could recoup a sixth- or seventh-round pick for the veteran.
          I would rather keep Perryman at least for this season as a valued run stopper because the team generally lacks them.

Regarding the article, there are several players named that if released would be interesting possibilities if the money were right, including Kenny Stills, Marlon Mack and Andy Dalton. Naturally, I think the money would be a big issue with these players likley wanting much more than I would want our front office to give them, but Stills would immediately be our deep threat, Mack would be a proven bigger RB, and Dalton would be a huge upgrade over Stick.

Comment

• Jorgecasas10
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2020
            • Send PM

Perryman is an important player for the chargers really good run stopper and cheap good value even if its just for 10-12 games a year
            if released it will be a mistake

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

You do what you have to do to get Peters for a year or 2. The first thing i thought of when we drafted Murray was that Perryman would likely get cut. Then i went and looked at the dead vs savings thing and it sort of made me think he would stay. The position as a group gets wrecked every year. Early down thumper is a good thing to have.

But for another starter at a position of need? Id do it. Get Murray in early.

I think its possible. Cap space can roll over as well. They may prefer the cap savings so they can use it next year despite taking a dead hit this year.

Comment

• rikardo
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                You do what you have to do to get Peters for a year or 2. The first thing i thought of when we drafted Murray was that Perryman would likely get cut. Then i went and looked at the dead vs savings thing and it sort of made me think he would stay. The position as a group gets wrecked every year. Early down thumper is a good thing to have.

But for another starter at a position of need? Id do it. Get Murray in early.

I think its possible. Cap space can roll over as well. They may prefer the cap savings so they can use it next year despite taking a dead hit this year.
                Do you believe Perryman and Murray play the same position?
                I just don't see Murray as a MLB right now.

Comment

• Jorgecasas10
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Mar 2020
                  • Send PM

Will murray and vigil and egbule
                  mike perryman and tranquill
                  Otto nwouso and white and jefferson

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Jorgecasas10 View Post
                    Will murray and vigil and egbule
                    mike perryman and tranquill
                    Otto nwouso and white and jefferson
                    I believe both AL/TT have referred to primary positions something more like.......

OTTO = Kyzir, Egbule, Vigil, (Nwosu - primarily LEO)

MIKE = Drue, Denzel, Jefferson

WILL = K9, Vigil, Drue

We have some position flexibility with most of our LB core, couple of UDFAs with solid athletic profiles, and speed to dictate matchups.

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
                      Day One...
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Brentwood, 94513
                      • Send PM

I’m torn on this one. I’d rather have a three down lb that can play the run better. I mean Perryman is good against the run, but not much better than good.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
                        I’m torn on this one. I’d rather have a three down lb that can play the run better. I mean Perryman is good against the run, but not much better than good.
                        Good way to put that, yes.

Comment

Working...
                        X