Who did not?

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Who did not?
          Steve vehemently argued 2 years ago against spending draft capital on a “part time” position (see LB thread recently bumped). And we didn’t, and the play from that position suffered. He doesn’t sound too upset about the Murray trade up, oddly.

Edit: sorry, didn’t bump it, linked it in the Murray thread.
          Chargers position outlook 2018: Denzel Perryman needs help at LB 10:15 AM PT http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/columnists/full/williams_eric.png&w=160&am

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            The Pete Carroll D that we use is the D that the SF49ers invented back in the 1980's making a hybrid 34/43. It uses 34 personnel, but lines them up in similar alignments to the 43, so that DL are in a better position to rush the QB than in the traditional 34 D (30 front).

Yes, OTTO is the SAM LB. A few minor very picky differences. Colleges will call the position the "drop LB" or the "drop DE" because this guy may be a 34 OLB, but tends to be more of a coverage guy than a pass rusher.

LEO is the Elefant LB/rush LB position. The idea is to have a smaller faster edge rusher coming off the open side (non-TE side) of the formation. And by LB I really mean DE.

I would say it is more about allowing the OLB/DE to specialize than to "dumb" it down. A lot of 34 OLB have trouble because back in the day, they used to ask them to read the offense and rush based on what the O was doing, and that was confusing at times. Then Wade decided that was stupid, called the rusher in the huddle or by audible, and overnight everyone switched to doing that.

Unless a player is really exceptional, anytime you ask them to do too many things, they end up doing none of them all that well. That is what makes guys like Derwin James so valuable, that they can do so much at a high level.

Nwosu plays both SAM/OTTO and LEO. I would be surprised if all of our OLB don't learn to play both spots. The roster is just not that big that you cannot afford to not cross train players. I wouldn't expect guys like White or Tranquill, who know how to play SAM, are probably not going to line up at LEO unless there is a real emergency. Egbule, Nwosu and Ingram can probably be used somewhat interchangeably. And by that I mean Egbule might know the assignments, but he still has to prove he is a good enough player at either spot.

A big part of why the Seattle Pete Carroll D is so popular right now is that Seattle has had such success using different types of players. The Seattle SB teams used guys that everyone else had given up as not being good fits for NFL Defenses, and some of them were rejected in both the 34 and 43. The LEO spot has been a revolving door of different players. Chris Clemons, Bennett, Avril, Clark, Bruce Irvin … I wouldn't necessarily say it is easy to find them, but a lot of different types of players can be used in the position and be successful. There are plenty of candidates out there.

Just note, this past year, there were not a lot of good edge rushers in the draft. Every team, even if they have 1 (or more) edge rusher(s) wants more.
            So in baseD, our DTs are 34 personnel, but asked to play 1gap from 3t and 1t? Or does that change, even in base D?
            Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

As far as 3 technique DT, the position was invented by 34 (or 52) teams that would slide their DL down to give them a leverage advantage on strong side runs The Classic 34 alignment for the NT is zero (
              0) (heads up on the center)
              and backside DE on the 4 technique (heads up on the OT). Shift them over to the strong side, the NT is on the 1 outside shade of the C, and the DE is on the outside shade of the OG.

As far as 34 DL, most people consider the 34 DE and 34 NT as interior players, so in that sense all 34 DL are DT. There are very few 34 DE who weigh less than 300 lbs. There are probably more smallish DL in the 43, although I haven't done the leg work to look it up lately.

In the past, Seattle used a mix of 1 and 2 gap assignments for the DT and DE. It depends on who they have and what they are doing to stop a particular offense. We mostly do 1 gapping, but that may change, although I don't expect 2 gapping to be a regular thing.

FWIW, most 34 teams don't do a lot of 2 gapping anymore.

Comment

Working...
              X