• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt;n100/0268

And sadly no one will learn that big picture, long term, a suppression extreme shutdown does no more to stop a virus than your toes can do trying to stop the tide. Surge #3 next June.
    Lessons from the History of Quarantine, from Plague to Influenza A

Emerging Infectious Diseases. 2013 Feb; 19(2): 254–259.
    doi: 10.3201/eid1902.120312

Opening extract -
    "Since the fourteenth century, quarantine has been the cornerstone of a coordinated disease-control strategy, including isolation, sanitary cordons, bills of health issued to ships, fumigation, disinfection, and regulation of groups of persons who were believed to be responsible for spreading the infection."

On the Spanish flu pandemic -
    " Various responses to the pandemic were tried. Health authorities in major cities of the Western world implemented a range of disease-containment strategies, including the closure of schools, churches, and theaters and the suspension of public gatherings. In Paris, a sporting event, in which 10,000 youths were to participate, was postponed (36). Yale University canceled all on-campus public meetings, and some churches in Italy suspended confessions and funeral ceremonies. Physicians encouraged the use of measures like respiratory hygiene and social distancing. However, the measures were implemented too late and in an uncoordinated manner, especially in war-torn areas

Closing extract -
    "Over the centuries, from the time of the Black Death to the first pandemics of the twenty-first century, public health control measures have been an essential way to reduce contact between persons sick with a disease and persons susceptible to the disease. In the absence of pharmaceutical interventions, such measures helped contain infection, delay the spread of disease, avert terror and death, and maintain the infrastructure of society."

Call us old-fashioned

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Lessons from the History of Quarantine, from Plague to Influenza A

Emerging Infectious Diseases. 2013 Feb; 19(2): 254–259.
      doi: 10.3201/eid1902.120312

Opening extract -
      "Since the fourteenth century, quarantine has been the cornerstone of a coordinated disease-control strategy, including isolation, sanitary cordons, bills of health issued to ships, fumigation, disinfection, and regulation of groups of persons who were believed to be responsible for spreading the infection."

On the Spanish flu pandemic -
      " Various responses to the pandemic were tried. Health authorities in major cities of the Western world implemented a range of disease-containment strategies, including the closure of schools, churches, and theaters and the suspension of public gatherings. In Paris, a sporting event, in which 10,000 youths were to participate, was postponed (36). Yale University canceled all on-campus public meetings, and some churches in Italy suspended confessions and funeral ceremonies. Physicians encouraged the use of measures like respiratory hygiene and social distancing. However, the measures were implemented too late and in an uncoordinated manner, especially in war-torn areas

Closing extract -
      "Over the centuries, from the time of the Black Death to the first pandemics of the twenty-first century, public health control measures have been an essential way to reduce contact between persons sick with a disease and persons susceptible to the disease. In the absence of pharmaceutical interventions, such measures helped contain infection, delay the spread of disease, avert terror and death, and maintain the infrastructure of society."

Call us old-fashioned
      Because of the delay we have reduced the impact on our medical community that would have been completely overwhelmed. Plus the Delay is and was necessary so that viable treatment methods could be established so that the medical community is not continuously over whelmed in the future. The death part is not so overly difficult as a lot of these people (Really old and sick) we're probably on the doorsteps anyways.
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Kingcrimson
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I get that but dont act like the other teams in our division didnt get better. All three have burner WRs now and Denver and LV each drafted 3 WRs which was a weak spot for them.
        Rivers is still a big upgrade to Tyrod and i dont care what argument you have for that. HOF'er vs a mediocre QB is a big downgrade and we will see that soon enough.
        We will have injuries it just depends where they occur.

The Raiders are going to be much improved this year. They also lost two DBs early last year that are going to be good players in Isaiah Johnson and Jonathon Abrams. They didnt draft as well as us IMO but they signed some players to fill holes and again, they beat us TWICE.
        And naming Melvin Gordon as a reason why we faltered is funny considering he is now a Bronco who also lost Chubb early for the season last year.
        Ok? I’m not saying the other teams didn’t improve. They’re better than they were 2 years ago, but so are we. We’re better equipped to handle the injuries, and highly doubtful we experience all the misfortunes we did in 2019 over again. Maybe 2 or 3 but not all of them.

Rivers is a better thrower than Tyrod. It’s not even close. We both agree on that one right? We are not gonna be running the same offense. It would be completely idiotic if you know your QB1 isn’t a good thrower yet still keep the same playbook as if we have an elite passing QB back there. They have different skill sets. Consider that. Tell me how many mediocre QBs were in the playoffs the past 3 years.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
          French Speaking Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Québec city
          • Send PM

It's not about mediocre QBs. It's about QBs who can manage short passing offense.
          Don't turnover the ball.
          Top5 D
          Good OL and good running game.
          How many teams have won a SB with that ?

Comment

• Kingcrimson
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
            It's not about mediocre QBs. It's about QBs who can manage short passing offense.
            Don't turnover the ball.
            Top5 D
            That’s what I’m saying. Past few years that’s a common theme of teams that made the playoffs. Strong defense first of all, solid run game and a QB that doesn’t turn it over. Even Pittsburgh almost got carried into the playoffs with Duck Hodges and Mason Rudolph and mediocre run game all behind their strong defense. I can already smell the “teams that had the better QB won the Super Bowl” this doesn’t apply to generational (Or system LOL) QBs like Brady and Mahomes who also happen to play for good coaches. Besides..
            nick foles > brady?
            9-17 manning > mvp cam?
            eli manning > 18-0 brady?
            Russell wilson > 2013 manning?

Comment

• Charge!
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Kingcrimson View Post

That’s what I’m saying. Past few years that’s a common theme of teams that made the playoffs. Strong defense first of all, solid run game and a QB that doesn’t turn it over. Even Pittsburgh almost got carried into the playoffs with Duck Hodges and Mason Rudolph and mediocre run game all behind their strong defense. I can already smell the “teams that had the better QB won the Super Bowl” this doesn’t apply to generational (Or system LOL) QBs like Brady and Mahomes who also happen to play for good coaches. Besides..
              nick foles > brady?
              9-17 manning > mvp cam?
              eli manning > 18-0 brady?
              Russell wilson > 2013 manning?
              Why is it so many "cheap"(i appologize and really not sure what word is appropriate) Chargers fans seem to obsess over the few extremely rare situations where a mediocre QB played out of his mind for one season or for a few playoff games (like flacco did once and never played like that ever again...)....

my dream and goal as a Chargers fan is to have a team that actually wins consistently and wins multiple SB's...... like the 49ers did, and NE....and DAL..... etc....... I dont want a one year wonder....

BTW...... old Manning, whose arm was dead the last few games of his last 2 seasons...... only beat Newton because Cam has never ever beed a great QB(which means great passer...btw)....and Cam who is an inconsisvery selfish me-me player melted down and has no clue how to handle a pass rush...... Cam has always been consistently inaccurate...... he throws one great accurate pass then airmails the next one or two.....or skips therm off the ground.... and his reading of defenses and decision making is really poor too...

SEA beat the crap out of as washed up manning because his arm died a few weeks earlier.......he couldnt complete a pass until second half after SEA had a huge insurmountable lead and they were playing soft defense.......

Foles was not greater than brady...... the Philly Defense made one play in the entire SB and it was a rare strip dosa ck fumble that gave the eagles the win.......

go look at the SB winning QB's........ ALL of the repeat winners were elite HOF QB's....... yes there are a handful of exceptions, but this are rare......

the bottom line is that we all know we won't get above a losing record with Taylor at QB, so for the Chargers to have a winning record of any kind, Hebert has to win the starting job and excel faster then anyone is predicting......with today's rules, no team is shutting out asnyone else and no team is consistently winning scoring only 10, 13, 14, 17 points....... not going to happen.....

remember the best defense in NFL last year wirth 5 high first rounders on the DL held the Chiefs to ONLY 31 points...... lol.....and the 2nd or 3rd digest scoring offense only manage 20 points against that bad chiefs defense......

Chargers need to implement an aggressive high scoring offense that can average 30+ points per game..... in order to win.....

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Why is it so many "cheap"(i appologize and really not sure what word is appropriate) Chargers fans seem to obsess over the few extremely rare situations where a mediocre QB played out of his mind for one season or for a few playoff games (like flacco did once and never played like that ever again...)....

my dream and goal as a Chargers fan is to have a team that actually wins consistently and wins multiple SB's...... like the 49ers did, and NE....and DAL..... etc....... I dont want a one year wonder....

BTW...... old Manning, whose arm was dead the last few games of his last 2 seasons...... only beat Newton because Cam has never ever beed a great QB(which means great passer...btw)....and Cam who is an inconsisvery selfish me-me player melted down and has no clue how to handle a pass rush...... Cam has always been consistently inaccurate...... he throws one great accurate pass then airmails the next one or two.....or skips therm off the ground.... and his reading of defenses and decision making is really poor too...

SEA beat the crap out of as washed up manning because his arm died a few weeks earlier.......he couldnt complete a pass until second half after SEA had a huge insurmountable lead and they were playing soft defense.......

Foles was not greater than brady...... the Philly Defense made one play in the entire SB and it was a rare strip dosa ck fumble that gave the eagles the win.......

go look at the SB winning QB's........ ALL of the repeat winners were elite HOF QB's....... yes there are a handful of exceptions, but this are rare......

the bottom line is that we all know we won't get above a losing record with Taylor at QB, so for the Chargers to have a winning record of any kind, Hebert has to win the starting job and excel faster then anyone is predicting......with today's rules, no team is shutting out asnyone else and no team is consistently winning scoring only 10, 13, 14, 17 points....... not going to happen.....

remember the best defense in NFL last year wirth 5 high first rounders on the DL held the Chiefs to ONLY 31 points...... lol.....and the 2nd or 3rd digest scoring offense only manage 20 points against that bad chiefs defense......

Chargers need to implement an aggressive high scoring offense that can average 30+ points per game..... in order to win.....
                We all know that" LAC won't get above a losing record with Taylor at QB" is an assumption. I believe we can be above .500 with Tyrod personally but support whatever path the coaches choose for Herbert this year. Let 'em do their job.
                There's little doubt that LAC's defense is better than last year. Far better probably. KC's 27.5 ppg avg against LAC can and should be lower vs a healthier, more talented unit.

Comment

• Kingcrimson
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post
                  Chargers need to implement an aggressive high scoring offense that can average 30+ points per game..... in order to win.....[/B]
                  I get what you’re saying man. But is that possible as of right now? Explain Rodgers and Brees not winning multiple rings, yet being two of the best to ever do it... there’s so many factors. The safest and easiest way to make it in the tourney is what we’re trying to build now. If Herbert is even better than what we expected then great! We all want the same thing. But I would like to win our first one before we can have dynasty talks.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Kingcrimson View Post

I get what you’re saying man. But is that possible as of right now? Explain Rodgers and Brees not winning multiple rings, yet being two of the best to ever do it... there’s so many factors. The safest and easiest way to make it in the tourney is what we’re trying to build now. If Herbert is even better than what we expected then great! We all want the same thing. But I would like to win our first one before we can have dynasty talks.
                    Craziest thing I ran across this video pf Pat McAfee and he talks about how QB salaries are actually hampering winning the superbowl! must watch video...

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                      Don't turnover the ball.
                      Top5 D
                      Baltimore/Tampa Bay early this century...maybe Denver (crappy oline)
                      Pittsburgh in the early 70s
                      Any champion in the 60's, 50's & 40's....

That era is over, no?

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

That era is over, no?
                        You do what your personnel do best and if the talent is there, you play in the playoffs.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                          French Speaking Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Québec city
                          • Send PM

That era is over, no?
                          Tom Brady won some SuperBowls with very ordinary performances.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍