• Show
Clear All
  • Tom190797
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2020
    • Send PM

The Move To L.A.....3 Years On

Hey everyone,

My name’s Tom and I’m from London in the UK. I’m a big football fan but here in the UK, teams never relocate or move cities and that got me really interested in how it works over in America. Its quite an alien concept for us here. Now that its been 3 years since the Chargers left San Diego and moved to L.A, I was interested in how all the fans felt about it, both then and now. I like the Chargers because I enjoy watching the games and seeing their players play, but maybe that’s because I’m from England and didn’t grow up with them around me? Do you guys still support the team just as much as before? Would you support a new team if they moved to San Diego or will it always be the chargers, wherever they go?

I think its really interesting and I’m actually doing some research on the difference between sports fans in the USA and UK.. I’d appreciate any thoughts you guys had.

Thanks.
  • boldarblood
    Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

For me it's Chargers all the way, even with a new San Diego team. I've had a vested interest in the team since '78, I will continue as it's the team I grew on.

New San Diego team would definitely be my 2nd team, I'd root for them against all other teams aside from my team.

Comment

• madcaplaughs
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I haven't lived in San Diego since 1990. It bugged me that they moved, but not so much that I'd quit the team. The stadium was very old, and it's a shame that San Diego didn't build a new one.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Tom190797 , welcome. Team owners have more loyalty to themselves and profit than to physical location. Most casual fans are with teams as they get publicity, either local, or that they are perceived as 'winners' and they jump on the bandwagon, so to speak. But hardcore fans get into the players and team dynamics and are probably more loyal to the brand. Chargers did lose a great number of hardcore fans that were disgusted by the move, and were more loyal to the soil, and they are trying to build a base in Los Angeles.

I do think its a mixed bag, but the longer they are out of San Diego, the loyalty will wear off for many, but they are still the closest team physically. Many San Diegans hate the urban sprawl called "Los Angeles" though and put their boundaries at the county border, but there are tons of fans that do live there, or did live there and may like the move, eventually. Me personally, I'm not moving onto a new team even if they move into San Diego... too much emotional capital tied up with the Chargers in my decades of fandom, and the actual blame for the move is probably in the lack of civic interest by non-sports fans.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

I remained a Charger fan when they left, i grew up here in SD as a Charger fan. If a new team arrived to SD, i would switch to my new hometown team. It would feel weird and awkward for awhile, probably. 95% of my friends who grew up in SD HATE the chargers because of the move. They would be strong boosters.

San Diego has changed a lot from the 60s 70s even 80s. It used to be a locals hometown, now its a town full of new arrivals, or so it seems. They don’t have allegiance to San Diego or San Diego history and treasures. They didn’t care about the Chargers. A large portion don’t like football, the others had favorite teams elsewhere. that is why they moved, there was no political support for them here. There weren’t enough people in the city that cared.

I predict San Diego never gets another team.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• FoutsFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Birmingham AL
            • Send PM

The situation is stranger than you know. In the UK you probably do not get detailed news on the move. It was strange, most San Diegans chased the Chargers out of town or voted for local politicians (including many mayors) who chased the Chargers away. Then they feigned outrage when the Chargers did move to LA. It was a slow decadeong process for SD to prove to the Chargers they were no longer wcome in SD. The San Diegans know its their fault and they see the responsible party in the mirror but they lash out at the team to hide their guilt.

Like the Chargers I am originally from LA, although I do not live their now. I am glad to see them in LA from a logistics standpoint as all my favorite teams are from LA, Dodgers, Lakers, Kings. I do feel sorry though for the few SD fans that did try to keep the Chargers in SD.

Comment

• northerner
              Charger fan since '79
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

these are some very realistic replies, nice to see. i am from San Jose in the bay area (SF and Oakland area), but i grew up liking the Dan Fouts era chargers (started watching in 1979). i saw the insane support that the 49ers got in their glory years and also the super committed Raider fans (fewer than the 49ers, but extremely loyal). in 2002, after getting my career going, i bought season tickets to the chargers - knowing that i would only travel to a few games per year, but still feeling that it was the ultimate fan experience (sort of being part of the team).

i was always surprised about how little energy there was for the chargers outside the actual stadium - at the airport, other places we might stop, taxi drivers, etc. I would be super pumped to be visiting san diego and most of the reaction was: you're here to see the chargers, okay, so how are they doing this year? (as i was amazed that no one knew!).

and then ESPN idiots would say something like - "they should not leave san diego where they are loved" huh? i guess you have not been to san diego.

even at the games, most of the crowd was obviously from san diego and there were of course thousands of jerseys in crowd, but a fair number of them could not even make the attempt to wear the right colors. i am not talking about a jersey or chargers shirt - they would not even be wearing blue or yellow (??!!?). and yes, i have been to other stadiums, so i had a few reference points to compare to.

i wish the chargers were still in san diego, even for the simple fact that those 2 words (san diego) would immediately bring a smile to my face. also, san diego is just a beautiful town and it was always fun to visit for a game.

after going to raider games as a charger fan and not even wearing my jersey (for fear of food or beer being thrown at me), going to my first chargers game in 2002 was like going to football disneyland - i was finally in the land of the chargers and i could proudly wear my jersey.

since i don't live there i have idea what it was like in the final years. i was always thinking that there was no way they would let the chargers leave, but they did. most owners are greedy scumbags, but the last stadium proposal did seem pretty fair, and was voted down. such a shame. i can't imagine being a local there who went to every home game and losing the team. for me, watching from afar on tv has always been the norm. i continued my tickets in LA (actually a shorter flight now), but i am skeptical if they will ever develop a good following there.

what is even stranger - i now live in santa clara (which is next to San Jose) and the new 49er stadium was built here - a full hour from San Francisco. a city that is not even part of the team name buitl the stadium. i don't dissect my utilities bills, but i can't even tell if anything became more expensive after building the stadium - it certainly did not ruin my life. in san diego it was going to be some type of hotel tax to pay for the stadium and it still did not get the votes.

the sad part is, it would have been MUCH cheaper to keep the chargers rather than get a new team someday, but my guess is that most of the people there are not even interested in getting another team.

oh well, sorry for the rambling post. the locals can enlighten me if needed on some of the details. ending on a positive note: justin herbert looks like something very special.

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

After seeing what sofi costs I don't think we'll be seeing a major NFL team back in San Diego anytime soon. So why worry about it. Charger fan for 45 years since little kid so I'm forced to suffer these indignities. Grandfathered in there. But hey, we have a Brand new spanking QB!

:whistlin:
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Hey Tom, I'm a Dick named Harry
                  native SD
                  Initially the relocation was the most painful first world problem ive ever experienced
                  Still hurts, but I feel I can blame are parties responsible proportionally (Spanos, SD county leadership, and some fans)
                  vs what I see most ex chargers fans do any hyper focus on the exclusivly the Spanos as an easy target
                  imo sports values dictate that you never give up on your team, NEVER. even if the owner is a pathetic moron, no short of irony in this situation.
                  btw, we all knew he was a shit owner before threatening to relocate, which is signficant imo
                  wts, I believe if there is any one legitimate/justified reason to give up on your team it's because they choose to no longer represent your identity (as a San Diegan)
                  I realize we're talking about something relatively superficial in sports, but the pain is real, I have family who have poured their hearts and souls into supporting a 1-15 team in hopes of one day seeing the "SAN DIEGO CHARGERS" win a superbowl and I I absolutely empathize
                  however...
                  At this point I would hate to see the Chargers go back to SD, at least before winning one superbowl
                  because I'm a fan elitist and don't want to share my charger Charger superbowl journey with deserters jumping back on
                  No one who gives up, even legitimately is welcomed back by me, it's weak and I've been through too much personally to support weakness in Charger fanhood
                  I know that sounds horrible but I'm serious

I'm open to follow up questions

Thanks Tom
                  .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
                  .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
                  .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
                  .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
                  .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
                  .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
                  .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
                  .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
                  .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Tom reached out to me privately requesting permission to create this thread.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplaughs View Post
                      I haven't lived in San Diego since 1990. It bugged me that they moved, but not so much that I'd quit the team. The stadium was very old, and it's a shame that San Diego didn't build a new one.
                      Same but i left in 1996. Didnt hit me AS hard as it might had i still live there but was still tough because i HATE LA teams. I also hate the City officials i SD who nearly got teh Baseball stadium stopped as well.
                      However i also hate the Spanos clan so my ties to the Chargers have waned some. I want them to win but i believe the team is cursed and will always be the same no matter what players we have as we keep losing the same ways for some many years now and its just become common and expected for me.

Id very much welcome a new ownership but that probably wont happen unless there is a family tragedy that i wont hope for.

Comment

• jubei
                        Vagabond Ninja
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

I grew up in SD and loved the SD Chargers. But I've been in OC for 15+ years now. I still dont like the move but I still support them and root for them. If a new team came to SD I would root for them as well as I still look at myself as a San Diegan...I LOVE SD...not the cost of living though.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍