• Show
Clear All
  • FoutsFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    Dean Spanos and the NFL wanted the taxpayers in San Diego to pay for a new stadium. The taxpayers said no. I was really sad to see the Chargers leave. But you can't blame taxpayers for their decision. There are so many other priorities. I didn't know if I would still be a fan of the team when they moved. But I have remained a fan. And now with Herbert, I may stay a fan for awhile.
    Gotta call BS on this as has everyone else. The reason why this lie is believed is that it is spread often by people who do not know its a lie. Its like the old poodle in the microwave story. Most people believe it, know someone who has heard of someone who knows this lady who put her poodle in the microwave to dry it.

Its just not true. Stop the lie, be part of the solution not the problem. There are plenty of reasons to hate Spanos but when we make up stuff it undermines the real reasons.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Gotta call BS on this as has everyone else. The reason why this lie is believed is that it is spread often by people who do not know its a lie. Its like the old poodle in the microwave story. Most people believe it, know someone who has heard of someone who knows this lady who put her poodle in the microwave to dry it.

Its just not true. Stop the lie, be part of the solution not the problem. There are plenty of reasons to hate Spanos but when we make up stuff it undermines the real reasons.
      :toyou:
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Lyth
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2018
        • Send PM

Tom, owners chase money. There's no loyalty. Owners or fans. We're not as fanatical as soccer...except on this board.

We're not as bad as when the Browns moved to Indy in the middle of the night, but it happens. SD wouldn't help pay for enough of a stadium so Spanos saw more money in renting.

Follow the money. Find the nut.

Comment

• northerner
          Charger fan since '79
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lyth View Post
          Tom, owners chase money. There's no loyalty. Owners or fans. We're not as fanatical as soccer...except on this board.

We're not as bad as when the Browns moved to Indy in the middle of the night, but it happens. SD wouldn't help pay for enough of a stadium so Spanos saw more money in renting.

Follow the money. Find the nut.
          that was actually the colts, but who is counting. and that was absolutely the worst - at least San Diego had plenty of chances to make it work. does it suck that the team couldn't just pay for their own stadium? yes, but the hotel tax was a very livable solution and they should have found a way. just an absolute shame. however, i live in the bay area and Oakland is an absolute fuck show and is destined to lose all of its teams (raiders, warriors and at some point the A's - though i hope not). the California cities have too many transplants who don't give a shit about the tradition or teams there.

when i traveled to boston, you would see a grandma, her grown up daughter, and the little kids ALL wearing red sox hats. i saw that and thought - yep, that is the real thing right there.

Comment

• northerner
            Charger fan since '79
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by PhilaBoltster View Post
            Tom, you’re going to find a lot of different answers to your questions. Depending on who you ask.

Myself, it’s a love-hate relationship. I used to love the team, and it’s too difficult to stop rooting for them, and keep following them as much as I used to. But I hate that they moved, hate the owners, hate every time I hear the name Los Angeles associated with them, and hate the league for allowing them to move. I wear my San Diego Chargers t-shirts on occasion, but I will never own anything that says Los Angeles. I refuse to give the NFL another cent of my money, I cancelled the NFL package on DirecTV and won’t buy anything NFL related. I always root for them to win but when they lose I find solace that they are failing in LA because the ownership deserves it. Even if they won the Super Bowl it would be very bittersweet because it should have happened in San Diego. I would rather they suffer 20 years in a row of losing seasons if that meant they would return to San Diego, although I know that is not realistic. And I’m not even from the west coast.
            i'm with you on the LA thing. i continued my season tix in LA, but i don't think will ever by anything that says LA Chargers. no thanks.

Comment

• PhilaBoltster
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

How is that not true? Ok maybe Spanos didn't want the San Diego taxpayers to pay for it but he wanted other (tourist) taxpayers to pay for it. Not that he was different from most other owners in that regard of wanting a subsidized stadium.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Birmingham AL
                • Send PM

Originally posted by PhilaBoltster View Post

How is that not true? Ok maybe Spanos didn't want the San Diego taxpayers to pay for it but he wanted other (tourist) taxpayers to pay for it. Not that he was different from most other owners in that regard of wanting a subsidized stadium.
                You answered your own question. Earlier before that vote Spanos offered to fully fund the stadium himself if SD would give him the land in Mission Valley. I know it is a form of subsidization giving him the land but its not like SD would not collect a ton of taxes going forward and its not like SD had o raise money to do it. So no tax payer would be out of money out of their pocket with that plan. During the second term of Obama they changed the environmental laws which then affected the mission Valley site in a negative way that was going to cost the city a lot of money to clean it if there was to be any construction done of the site. SD tried to revisit that offer last minute and give the now polluted land to the Spanos. It would have cost double just for the stadium 10 years later and it would have cost a ton to clean the land before they could have started construction so that was a non starter.

All that being said I am sue you can understand the difference between a tax on the city taxpayers and a hotel tax for out of town tourists.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Please don't re-litigate the move, and keep on the topic of supporting the team in L.A. or a new team in San Diego. Thanks.

Comment

• PhilaBoltster
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Its like if my daughter got a face tattoo, became a stripper and married an ex-con. I’m not happy with it but still love her.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

We will agree to disagree on this.

Comment

• SDChargers
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2020
                        • Send PM

You answered your own question. Earlier before that vote Spanos offered to fully fund the stadium himself if SD would give him the land in Mission Valley. I know it is a form of subsidization giving him the land but its not like SD would not collect a ton of taxes going forward and its not like SD had o raise money to do it. So no tax payer would be out of money out of their pocket with that plan. During the second term of Obama they changed the environmental laws which then affected the mission Valley site in a negative way that was going to cost the city a lot of money to clean it if there was to be any construction done of the site. SD tried to revisit that offer last minute and give the now polluted land to the Spanos. It would have cost double just for the stadium 10 years later and it would have cost a ton to clean the land before they could have started construction so that was a non starter.

All that being said I am sue you can understand the difference between a tax on the city taxpayers and a hotel tax for out of town tourists.
                        How are the Aztecs able to build a new stadium on the MV site without having to do any clean up? Maybe I missed the news of them cleaning it up, not trying to be a smartazz with that comment, just asking.

The city ofd San Diego's task force recommenced the MV site for a new stadium. Spanos said no, he wanted downtown. It had very little chance of getting 66%. If they just would have waited, I think it was changed after the vote that they would only need 50% plus 1 to pass if there was another vote. The MV site would have passed the first time without any problems. There was so much Spanos could have done to help pay for the Stadium in MV. Sale so of the land for hotels and other projects. He just didn't have the vision to do it. Not to mention terrible PR from the Spanos family over the 30 plus years they owned the team in SD. Going into the Downtown vote, do you think it was wise to keep McCoy and play hardball with Bosa?

Comment

• FoutsFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Birmingham AL
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SDChargers View Post

How are the Aztecs able to build a new stadium on the MV site without having to do any clean up? Maybe I missed the news of them cleaning it up, not trying to be a smartazz with that comment, just asking.

The city ofd San Diego's task force recommenced the MV site for a new stadium. Spanos said no, he wanted downtown. It had very little chance of getting 66%. If they just would have waited, I think it was changed after the vote that they would only need 50% plus 1 to pass if there was another vote. The MV site would have passed the first time without any problems. There was so much Spanos could have done to help pay for the Stadium in MV. Sale so of the land for hotels and other projects. He just didn't have the vision to do it. Not to mention terrible PR from the Spanos family over the 30 plus years they owned the team in SD. Going into the Downtown vote, do you think it was wise to keep McCoy and play hardball with Bosa?
                          This was before the downtown site came available. I do not want to get into politics but since then many environmental regulations have been reverted so it is quite possible that the MV site went from clean to disaster and back to clean without anything being done.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍