• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolts4ever213
    Day One...
    • Mar 2019
    • Brentwood, 94513
    • Send PM

Feelings…. Man, as fast as I want this off season to go. I have to hold my thoughts for you. Time is precious, especially when you know it’s up. As many have said, I too wish you well and have enjoyed your takes since 2004 when I tried to find a way to connect with other Chargers fans who could relate with me through it all. Cheers Roo…

Comment

• screeme18
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2019
      • Send PM

I'm so sorry! We all face this, at some point. I'm glad you will have a chance to say goodbye to your friends and family. It's a blessing. Literally, the last thing I talked to my dad about was the stupid blinds in my house. Then I never saw him again.

If you haven't done so, please, for the sake of your family, make sure all your legal t's are crossed and i's dotted. They were married for almost 50 years, and you wouldn't believe the hassles my mom had to jump through. She had to get a lawyer and everything.

But, more than anything, I wish you a peaceful last few months. I hope you get a chance to cross some bucket list items off your list, and a chance to appreciate some of the little things one last time! Much love!!

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Craig440 View Post

Okay will do. I have a huge history with the players. My neighbor when I was 7 was Ron Nery number 80 Defensive end. He took me to practices and I became friends with Ernie Ladd after he stood on my foot and ate my hot dog after a practice. Made me cry and he felt bad.

My mom sold most of them houses when they moved here and I watched lots of games with the wives at their houses.

Later I started a pool service business and serviced a lot of their pools. Built a few spas and solar. Pat Curran and I were friends after I built him a spa and solar. Took me to his resturant/bar at the golf course on Navaho Drive. Had dinner with Fouts, Ed White, Lindon King, and Pat. Got drunk and told King he was a great linebacker but didn't have that nasty instinct like Jack Lambert. He agreed and got two personal fouls the next week. Maybe it was three.

Still friends with Lance Alworth, Don Rodgers (center), and a few others to this day.

I have lots of stories of Walt Sweeny and Fred Dean who was my cousins good friend.

P.S. I still have an unused ticket to the Charger football club vs the Denver Broncos football club. Its for 1963. Price $2.75. I used my ticket don't remember how I ended up with an unused one. I also have my cushion for Balboa Stadium. It has a blanket inside. It's orange.
        I worked at that restaurant/bar/golf course on Navajo Drive in 1984. I was a breakfast cook and before that I took care of the back nine of the golf course. Louie Kelcher showed up as well as Hal Clement the sports TV guy on the news in San Diego. There was supposedly some mafia folks that frequented the bar there. I was warned by a lady who I worked with about that. I wanted to meet them but my co-worker wouldn't let me!

Comment

• Craig440
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

I worked at that restaurant/bar/golf course on Navajo Drive in 1984. I was a breakfast cook and before that I took care of the back nine of the golf course. Louie Kelcher showed up as well as Hal Clement the sports TV guy on the news in San Diego. There was supposedly some mafia folks that frequented the bar there. I was warned by a lady who I worked with about that. I wanted to meet them but my co-worker wouldn't let me!
          Good story. I was there in the late seventies or maybe early eighties don't remember the exact year during Fouts years. I remember Hal Clement. I never remember meeting Louie in person. Did Pat Curran still own it? I am racking my brain to remember the name of the restaurant. I'm sure you can help me with that. Don't know anything about Mafia there. Haha. By the way Hadl had an indoor pool that you had to go thru the bedroom to get to.

Oh and I played golf at that course many many times. All the way up to the 2010's

Comment

• Craig440
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Send PM

I made a bet with a friend who was a Bronco fan. He said the Chargers would lose that game in Pittsburg that sent us to the Super Bowl. I won and he got me the metal plate that the Union Tribune used to print the paper. Has Natron Means Business as the head line. It hangs in my office.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Send PM

Good story. I was there in the late seventies or maybe early eighties don't remember the exact year during Fouts years. I remember Hal Clement. I never remember meeting Louie in person. Did Pat Curran still own it? I am racking my brain to remember the name of the restaurant. I'm sure you can help me with that. Don't know anything about Mafia there. Haha. By the way Hadl had an indoor pool that you had to go thru the bedroom to get to.

Oh and I played golf at that course many many times. All the way up to the 2010's
              While I vaguely recall hearing Pat Curran's name at the golf course I don't know if he was the owner at the time. Could have been. And I don't recall the name of the restaurant either. All I remember for certain is that a Richard Seng was in charge of the golf course maintenance crew while I worked the back nine.

Comment

• Craig440
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2019
                • Send PM

Hey Chargeroo. I remember a game in 1984 or 5. Chargers against the Los Angeles Raiders. My wife and I had given up our season tickets but went to the game. We sat in the upper deck. Lionel Little Train James had the game of his life. We won in ot. At the end most of the fans leaving the game kind of made conga lines and were dancing and chanting. "Little Train, Little Train, Choo Choo Little Train Little Train Choo Choo". It was a blast.

He had over 300 yards that game.

He was selected by the Chargers in the fifth round of the 1984 NFL Draft. Undersized at 5 feet 6 inches (1.68 m) and 171 pounds (78 kg), James played college football for the Auburn Tigers, where he shared the backfield with Bo Jackson. James would be a part of the 1983 Southeast Conference champion and Sugar Bowl champion team. He spent his entire five-year NFL career with the Chargers from 1984-1988. His best year as a pro came during the 1985 season when he set the then-NFL season records for receiving yards by a running back and all-purpose yardage. He also led the AFC in receptions that year.

In 1985, James set the NFL record for all purpose yards in a season with 2,535 yards. He also set the record for receiving yards by a running back with 1,027 yards,[1] while also leading the AFC in receptions with 86. On November 10, 1985, he had his best day as a pro versus the Los Angeles Raiders. He gained 345 all-purpose yards including a career best 168 yards receiving and scored the winning touchdown in a 40–34 overtime victory.[1] The total yardage was second at the time only to the 373 yards by Billy Cannon in 1961, and remains a Chargers franchise record. He might have broken the record in an earlier game that season against the Cincinnati Bengals except for a Chargers penalty that cost him 89 yards of a 100-yard kickoff return. James finished that game with 316 yards.[2]

James record for receiving yards by a running back was broken by Marshall Faulk (1,048) in 1999,[3] and his all purpose yardage record was eclipsed in 2000 by Derrick Mason (2,690 yards).[4]

Comment

• FoutsFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Birmingham AL
                  • Send PM

Hey Chargeroo. I remember a game in 1984 or 5. Chargers against the Los Angeles Raiders. My wife and I had given up our season tickets but went to the game. We sat in the upper deck. Lionel Little Train James had the game of his life. We won in ot. At the end most of the fans leaving the game kind of made conga lines and were dancing and chanting. "Little Train, Little Train, Choo Choo Little Train Little Train Choo Choo". It was a blast.

He had over 300 yards that game.

He was selected by the Chargers in the fifth round of the 1984 NFL Draft. Undersized at 5 feet 6 inches (1.68 m) and 171 pounds (78 kg), James played college football for the Auburn Tigers, where he shared the backfield with Bo Jackson. James would be a part of the 1983 Southeast Conference champion and Sugar Bowl champion team. He spent his entire five-year NFL career with the Chargers from 1984-1988. His best year as a pro came during the 1985 season when he set the then-NFL season records for receiving yards by a running back and all-purpose yardage. He also led the AFC in receptions that year.

In 1985, James set the NFL record for all purpose yards in a season with 2,535 yards. He also set the record for receiving yards by a running back with 1,027 yards,[1] while also leading the AFC in receptions with 86. On November 10, 1985, he had his best day as a pro versus the Los Angeles Raiders. He gained 345 all-purpose yards including a career best 168 yards receiving and scored the winning touchdown in a 40–34 overtime victory.[1] The total yardage was second at the time only to the 373 yards by Billy Cannon in 1961, and remains a Chargers franchise record. He might have broken the record in an earlier game that season against the Cincinnati Bengals except for a Chargers penalty that cost him 89 yards of a 100-yard kickoff return. James finished that game with 316 yards.[2]

James record for receiving yards by a running back was broken by Marshall Faulk (1,048) in 1999,[3] and his all purpose yardage record was eclipsed in 2000 by Derrick Mason (2,690 yards).[4]
                  One of my favorite players. Weird side note both him and Bo Jackson who as you pointed out played in the same backfield at Auburn had their playing careers cut short by avascular necrosis of the hip. What are the odds that 2 backs from the same school at the same time get such a rare condition that ends their career? Makes me wonder what they were taking/experimenting with in the way of enhancement drugs there. When Bo Jackson had that hip injury against the Bengals it simply exposed the avascular necrosis that would have ended his career the next season.

Comment

• Craig440
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Send PM

1973 was probably the least year I spent with the Chargers. I was 18 and moved to Hawaii. I was a surf bum and the drinking age was 18 in Hawaii. I found this video and ended up watching the whole thing. I started it after Dick Butkis plea to join the army. If you want you can start from the start because the start is hilarious. This was the start of Fouts, end of Unitas. It's a good video. Long but kind of captivating.

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Here's the latest on my fight with cancer -
                      According to my Oncologist, I'm down to two months now. I don't think he heard that from God though. I really think I have more time left than that left because I'm not feeling that bad.

Here's where I am now - I do get some pain in my lungs but it's not usually very much. I am weak. My legs are so weak that walking is getting to be a problem (thankful for the walker), but for the most part, my breathing isn't too bad. I have oxygen and meds for when the breathing gets bad and they work well. So, overall; so far, so good!

At this point in time, I think it's harder on Arlene than it is on me. I'm content with the idea of going to heaven soon and I'm content with having a couple more years on Earth. God's will be done.

I'll be sure to let you know when Jesus heals me.
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                        Here's the latest on my fight with cancer -
                        According to my Oncologist, I'm down to two months now. I don't think he heard that from God though. I really think I have more time left than that left because I'm not feeling that bad.

Here's where I am now - I do get some pain in my lungs but it's not usually very much. I am weak. My legs are so weak that walking is getting to be a problem (thankful for the walker), but for the most part, my breathing isn't too bad. I have oxygen and meds for when the breathing gets bad and they work well. So, overall; so far, so good!

At this point in time, I think it's harder on Arlene than it is on me. I'm content with the idea of going to heaven soon and I'm content with having a couple more years on Earth. God's will be done.

I'll be sure to let you know when Jesus heals me.
                        Chargeroo - please keep us apprised, if you are able. I know it may not be a priority if things do take a turn for the worse. But I think everybody in this forum cares. That said, I have seen so many people I know defy the most dire of predictions from their doctors. I appreciate my doctors to the fullest, but I know they are often working with their best guesses, because medical science is not always predictable. I think a positive attitude, like you have, goes a long way to help healing or extending life. Bless you.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                          French Speaking Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Québec city
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Chargeroo - please keep us apprised, if you are able. I know it may not be a priority if things do take a turn for the worse. But I think everybody in this forum cares. That said, I have seen so many people I know defy the most dire of predictions from their doctors. I appreciate my doctors to the fullest, but I know they are often working with their best guesses, because medical science is not always predictable. I think a positive attitude, like you have, goes a long way to help healing or extending life. Bless you.
                          I think it is the key. Continue that way, Chargeroo.

Comment

Working...
                          X