Clear All
  • Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

The Powder Blues Workout Group - sign in here

Are you looking to get a bit more fit? Getting a little plump around the mid-section?

Hoping to get some people to sign up here.

In this thread, we can tell each other about our goals, and introduce yourself to the group a bit.

Then, I thought we could do a "monthly workouts" thread, where we post what we are doing, and what we have been planning to do.

If we get enough traction and participation, perhaps it could become a weekly thing?

No pressure on anyone, and maybe you don't want to do so, but I used to belong to a couple different "running forums" back in the early 2000's when I was running marathons. I found it incredibly helpful to have people to talk with about training, and getting through setbacks, and just have a supportive group of people that I could discuss what was happening and coming up.
    Maybe it'll flame out.

But as our benefactor, Fleet has mentioned many times, this place is like a brotherhood. So, let's give this a shot. I think if we could get 5/6 people signed up early, it could get rolling, and we may pick up a few stragglers on the way.
    all welcome season 8 GIF
    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."
  • Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

I'll start: I'm Mark (Markos is an old college nickname I was given because of my dark skin, but I'm a white guy... not that this matters...just letting you know who I am)

-But I pretty much go by "Coach" around here. Been a member of these forums for like 18 years, but became more active when Fleet took over.

I'm a HS Coach- Head Cross Country, Assistant Boys Basketball, and Assistant Track. (and this past summer I've been coaching an AAU Basketball team as well)

I live in Eastern South Dakota, and I'm 49 years old.
    In High School, I played FB, BB, and ran Track. (my school didn't have a CC team.) My best sport was track.

I became a "runner" around 2000, when I turned 30. Ran several local 5K/10K/and half marathons. Ran and completed 5 or 6 marathons... I could look it up, but I don't remember exactly. (Which you'd think I should.)

My fitness level is as poor as it's ever been. I've always been a thin guy (was too thin in HS to be honest). And I've put on some pounds, I'm probably right at, or close to cracking 200 pounds (I am 6'1")

The last half marathon I ran was 6 years ago. A couple years ago, I did get in a good groove and I ran every other day throughout the summer.

But the last few years have been rough. It's hard finding time to run with all my coaching duties (and especially in the winter in South Dakota).

I'm looking to drop some pounds, and just improve my level of fitness overall. I've never been a weight lifter, but I'd like to add in some of that, and just some other general fitness things as well as running. Pushups/Pullups/ all that kind of stuff I am open to getting around to doing.

Comment

• captaind
      Cook This Pork Chops
      • Jun 2013
      • Mars
      • Ball Holder
      • Send PM

I'm here for ideas & reading. I have 3 kids so time is limited. I was underweight until I quit smoking 5+ years ago. Probably put on 30 pounds since then, but I'm comfortable at this weight. I am way out of shape, though. I'm looking at stuff like 30 days to 50 push-ups that I saw in the other thread. May try this before bowling season kicks off in a month. After a number of injuries that sidelined me from the sport for almost two years, I started back last year. But in my mid-40s I gotta stay in shape or my average tanks noticeably.

In short, getting old sucks.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • SoDak
        • Technology Director
        • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post
        I'm here for ideas & reading. I have 3 kids so time is limited. I was underweight until I quit smoking 5+ years ago. Probably put on 30 pounds since then, but I'm comfortable at this weight. I am way out of shape, though. I'm looking at stuff like 30 days to 50 push-ups that I saw in the other thread. May try this before bowling season kicks off in a month. After a number of injuries that sidelined me from the sport for almost two years, I started back last year. But in my mid-40s I gotta stay in shape or my average tanks noticeably.

In short, getting old sucks.
        Yes, it does. (getting old)

I'm going to try to go for a run after work today, but it's going to be tough, supposed be over 90 degrees with high humidity.

Comment

• JOJAX85
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2018
          • Irmo, SC
          • Send PM

Very cool idea. My name is BG & I am also 49. Ridiculous what after 45 does to the body & stamina. I normally get to the gym 4x/wk at least. I'd like to go every day, but sometimes my sleep patterns get out of whack & I miss. I go in the mornings before work, because my job can be physically demanding & I know I won't have any gas in the tank to go after. Plus, it helps me get some blood flowing, which helps me get through the day. I never played in college, but I did play a few years of SEMI-pro football in my mid 30s. I spelled it that way on purpose, because it was a lot closer to The Longest Yard than the NFL. I played Tight End at 6'-2" about 245. I've stayed in decent shape, but the last couple of years I have REALLY taken several steps back. I'm not a powerlifter or body builder, but I do like to lift & what I can physically do now is bordering on embarrassing. Probably not to others, but to myself. Again, I've never went in to the gym.to max out or try & portray Johnny Badass. I don't really do any of the Big 3 (bench, squat or deadlift). To me, the hazards of doing those exercises far outweigh the benifits at this point in life. I've probably only put on about 10 lbs from my playing weight, but its not a good 255. Saw some pics of myself on July 4th.& wanted to get off social media altogether. I've cleaned up my diet a bit since then so we will see what happens with that.
          I appreciate you setting this up so at least I can vent. I workout by myself so there's really nobody to talk to about it. I haven't been a member on the powder blues very long so can we post pics? Thought maybe some progress pics would help. Anyways, thanks again.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

64 yo. 5'10"/215#.

Goal: increase intensity of workouts to lose belly fat and improve cardiovascular strength.
            Coming off 6 weeks layoff due to chest infection...there is work to do.

Typical regimen:
            --24 Hour Fitness every day.
            --Light work on machines. shoulders, chest, back, lats, a little leg work, light cardio, and 54 crunches per day for Melvin Ingram.
            --Supplements, diet: VitaMineralGreen. Synergy Heart Protector/Cell Protector. CoQ 10. Fish oil. Shilajit. Fermented probiotic powder. EsterC...
            super greens 5oz per day in a smoothie w/Combat Protein Powder, lean, clean savory meat, raw sauerkraut, nuts & seeds, a few brands of carefully selected energy bars, coffee.

I am all in, Coach Markos.
            Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.
            Ben Herbert

Comment

• Coachmarkos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • SoDak
              • Technology Director
              • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post
              Very cool idea. My name is BG & I am also 49. Ridiculous what after 45 does to the body & stamina. I normally get to the gym 4x/wk at least. I'd like to go every day, but sometimes my sleep patterns get out of whack & I miss. I go in the mornings before work, because my job can be physically demanding & I know I won't have any gas in the tank to go after. Plus, it helps me get some blood flowing, which helps me get through the day. I never played in college, but I did play a few years of SEMI-pro football in my mid 30s. I spelled it that way on purpose, because it was a lot closer to The Longest Yard than the NFL. I played Tight End at 6'-2" about 245. I've stayed in decent shape, but the last couple of years I have REALLY taken several steps back. I'm not a powerlifter or body builder, but I do like to lift & what I can physically do now is bordering on embarrassing. Probably not to others, but to myself. Again, I've never went in to the gym.to max out or try & portray Johnny Badass. I don't really do any of the Big 3 (bench, squat or deadlift). To me, the hazards of doing those exercises far outweigh the benifits at this point in life. I've probably only put on about 10 lbs from my playing weight, but its not a good 255. Saw some pics of myself on July 4th.& wanted to get off social media altogether. I've cleaned up my diet a bit since then so we will see what happens with that.
              I appreciate you setting this up so at least I can vent. I workout by myself so there's really nobody to talk to about it. I haven't been a member on the powder blues very long so can we post pics? Thought maybe some progress pics would help. Anyways, thanks again.
              I think some before pics would be a great idea. Maybe we could start a separate thread on that?

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • SoDak
                • Technology Director
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                64 yo. 5'10"/215#.

Goal: increase intensity of workouts to lose belly fat and improve cardiovascular strength.
                Coming off 6 weeks layoff due to chest infection...there is work to do.

Typical regimen:
                --24 Hour Fitness every day.
                --Light work on machines. shoulders, chest, back, lats, a little leg work, light cardio, and 54 crunches per day for Melvin Ingram.
                --Supplements, diet: VitaMineralGreen. Synergy Heart Protector/Cell Protector. CoQ 10. Fish oil. Shilajit. Fermented probiotic powder. EsterC...
                super greens 5oz per day in a smoothie w/Combat Protein Powder, lean, clean savory meat, raw sauerkraut, nuts & seeds, a few brands of carefully selected energy bars, coffee.

I am all in, Coach Markos.
                Awesome.

I'm already impressed with workouts every day at 64 YO! Great job. You are setting the bar high for us. Which is needed.

Comment

Working...
                X