X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion: Is there a god?

So I have been an atheist pretty much since childhood. While I do recognize on a world scale, religion is harmful, I still wish I could believe.
    The Jewish people in my family, unlike me, are extremely driven to succeed in their respective careers. They also all have successful marriages, educated kids, and are very charitable in their communities. While I can't get in their heads to know if they are truly happy, they sure seem to be.
    I would love to believe what they believe because it appears to be a path to happiness. I am not completely unhappy, but things could be better. My happiest moments are when I am high as fuck, and I feel like that is as close as I will get to a religious experience. As much as I have tried, I cannot believe in a god. And I am wondering how some of you believe in a god or if there are fellow atheists who have figured out how to experience the lasting happiness and joy that religious people seem to experience.

Just wondering, can you as an atheist define what a god is?

Comment

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
      Just wondering, can you as an atheist define what a god is?
      I could if I googled it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightningwill_420 View Post
        I could if I googled it.
        Good one. As a believer, it's hard to pin down myself. The white guy with a beard (re: Michelangelo) isn't the definition for me, but for some it is. On the other side, I don't understand how some can say there is no God, as something created the spark of life.

Comment

Good one. As a believer, it's hard to pin down myself. The white guy with a beard (re: Michelangelo) isn't the definition for me, but for some it is. On the other side, I don't understand how some can say there is no God, as something created the spark of life.
          What is your definition of God?

Comment

What is your definition of God?
            A supreme being.

Comment

A supreme being.
              How would you describe that?

Comment

How would you describe that?
                I guess I'll know it when I see it.

Comment

So I have been an atheist pretty much since childhood. While I do recognize on a world scale, religion is harmful, I still wish I could believe.
                  The Jewish people in my family, unlike me, are extremely driven to succeed in their respective careers. They also all have successful marriages, educated kids, and are very charitable in their communities.
                  You're kind of contradicting yourself. It's harmful on a world scale, yet look at the positive impact it's had on people in your own family.

While I can't get in their heads to know if they are truly happy, they sure seem to be.
                  I would love to believe what they believe because it appears to be a path to happiness. I am not completely unhappy, but things could be better. My happiest moments are when I am high as fuck, and I feel like that is as close as I will get to a religious experience. As much as I have tried, I cannot believe in a god. And I am wondering how some of you believe in a god or if there are fellow atheists who have figured out how to experience the lasting happiness and joy that religious people seem to experience.
                  It wouldn't make any sense if there wasn't. The big bang theory supposedly is the atheists' excuse, and yet I have to wonder if any of them have bothered to read it. You rewind to get to a point where one instant there was nothing and the next there was something (hydrogen atom, whatever). That in and of itself implies creation and a higher power. Neither science nor math can explain that. And yet it's the atheists' mantra to explain that there is no god because there was a big bang.

Even Steven Hawking is on that bandwagon. But then again, he believes in human-caused climate change, so he may be going with whatever everyone is telling him there as well.
                  “We’ve got a good team. You see how we played for three quarters.” --Mike McCoy

Comment

"human-caused climate change"

That seems to be a religion to many, faith-based and unproven.

As far as the definition of a god, and the Sistine Chapel's "The Creation of Adam", for some, God is depicted, but it isn't the white guy with the beard.

Comment

I didn't mean to make this political. I want to believe what the happy religious people believe or possibly find that kind of happiness without religion. So, if you are religious, I would like to know how it is you believe in not just any creator of stuff in the universe, but the particular god that brings you happiness.

Comment

I didn't mean to make this political. I want to believe what the happy religious people believe or possibly find that kind of happiness without religion. So, if you are religious, I would like to know how it is you believe in not just any creator of stuff in the universe, but the particular god that brings you happiness.
                        I wasn't trying to be political, just giving an example there.

Which religion or a particular god is a different discussion. I'm interested in why you don't believe in any higher power at all.
                        “We’ve got a good team. You see how we played for three quarters.” --Mike McCoy

Comment

Working...
                        X