X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

I must admit I found Sproul’s usage of an acknowledged fairytale to rationalize another fairytale quite amusing.

So our freewill is a decision making system of our brains that is inclined to our strongest learned moral identity? True. I don’t disagree with that. I’d go further and state that all our decisions come from the chemical reactions in the brain. No matter how rational or irrational. I disagree about his ideology of inherent human sin as sin is a fictional concept.

Questions....
    If god were to manifest himself to humanity, give a demonstration of his unlimited power, or whatever it would take to ensure 1 human or the entire planet’s population knew he existed.
    Would each individual have the freewill to reject him as an entity to be followed, obeyed, and worshipped?
    Do you, as Sproul did, believe in biblical inerrancy?
    If so, what answers do you give for the vast inconsistencies, immoral laws/commandments, historical and scientific errors, and horrific atrocities that are in the perfect word of god?

clip is some of, not all, inconsistencies stated in the bible.
    You asked - "If god were to manifest himself to humanity, give a demonstration of his unlimited power, or whatever it would take to ensure 1 human or the entire planet’s population knew he existed.
    Would each individual have the freewill to reject him as an entity to be followed, obeyed, and worshipped?"

I don't think it would take away free will if God did that. It's my belief that God gave us free will so only those who believe will get to spend eternity with him on the new Earth.

Do you, as Sproul did, believe in biblical inerrancy? - Yes

If so, what answers do you give for the vast inconsistencies, immoral laws/commandments, historical and scientific errors, and horrific atrocities that are in the perfect word of god?

That's a pretty broad question/statement. - A broad answer is found in Isaiah 55:8 - “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.
    That goes back to what I said earlier - I do not have a mind that can understand God's mind. I'm content to take him at his word.

I find it interesting that you say the commandments are not moral.
    Doesn't that put you above God? What commandments would you write?

I myself have wondered and been troubled by the atrocities of the OT.
    One you mentioned in an earlier post was why did the Bible seem to condone slavery? - My answer is that the slavery we read about in the Bible is not like the slavery we usually think of. The people that were slaves back then sold themselves into slavery for a seven year period. At the end of that period they were free to walk away or sign up for seven more years. So, it's more akin to what we call servants now.

Also please understand that the Bible does not approve of everything it records. Some of the things reported in the Bible were not approved by God.
    For instance, some terrible things like rape and revenge are found in Judges 19/20 but nowhere does it say this is approved.

You mentioned you were expecting snow - where are you that you expect snow? Wherever it is - consider moving. It's 83 right now on the beautiful island of Maui.

Comment

I find that the things atheists call atrocities are the mass killings of places/people like in the story of Sodom. But, in each of the stories like that the people God ordered killed were living totally immoral lives.

Comment

Working...
      X