Clear All
  • Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

2014-2015 Lakers Season

Well, this team doesn't look much, if any, better than last year's team.

Although Byron Scott will coach defense, something Dantoni wasn't interested in.

Nash, while it would be awesome for him to stay healthy, and play limited minutes and just be a great shooter, has already had some pain and missed time in the preseason. Can't expect much from him.

Lin, while also not a world beater, will be a capable Point Guard, and is a better scorer than Kendall Marshall overall.

Kobe, well... it he can stay healthy, how Kobe can he be?

Wes Johnson is intriguing at Small Forward. I know he's been labeled a "bust" because of how high he was drafted...but he's not horrible at basketball. If you look at him as just a contributor, he's fine.

Jordan Hill will give you everything he has every night. (although that's significantly less than the best post players)

Carlos Boozer is on an expiring contract, and hasn't looked right for about a year.

That's probably your starting 5. You can flip/flop Nash/Lin.

It will be interesting to see how Randle and Ed Davis will fit into the post rotation. They both have more upside than the two starting ahead of them. I really like the Ed Davis pickup. But I'm always biased toward liking NC guys. For this reason, I don't like Ryan Kelly. Robert Sacre is simply there to celebrate on the bench...or play when everyone else gets hurt.

Nick Young is hurt, so Wayne Ellington is going to have to be the bench "shooter". Again I am biased towards UNC players, but I'm hoping the best for him. Xavier Henry is Xavier Henry. He'll have some games where he'll look like a starter, and some games that he doesn't look like he belongs on the court.

Clarkson and Price are both listed as PG's. Price was brought in as insurance, because Nash WILL get injured again. I watched a bit of the summer league games, and Clarkson spent a lot of time at the 2 guard.

I think you will see this look alot. With Nash and Lin, or Nash/Lin/Price and Clarkson.

If I had to do the depth chart:
    PG- Nash, Lin, Price, Clarkson
    SG- Bryant, Ellington, Henry, Clarkson
    SF- Johnson, Young, Henry, Ellington
    PF- Boozer, Randle, Kelly
    C - Hill, Davis, Sacre

This is NOT a good team. However, a pretty good group of workers. Coach Scott will have to be patient, and he has no choice but to emphasize defense, because Kobe is the only offensive player that is scary, other than Nick Young. Problem with that is...Nash, Lin, Ellington, Young are NOT good perimeter defenders, and who knows what Kobe can bring on that end?

Alot of expiring contracts on this team: Boozer, Nash, and Lin are the big ones. That leaves alot of cap space for next year. I can see a trade or two by Mitch during the season... involving any and all of those guys.

It will probably be another wait and see season. The West is loaded again, and really can't see them making the playoffs. However, depending on how the trades shake out, and how Clarkson and especially Randle progress... there could be hope for the future.

B Scott made the Hornets very tough with Chris Paul, David West, and to be honest just hard work on the defensive end. A decent trade, and a few tweaks, and they could be better in a hurry. But Kobe's salary is still weighing them down, and it may take until he's done to actually contend.
    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Im hearing Nash will be ruled out for the season

Now on twitter:

Mike Bresnahan 42 seconds ago
    I've confirmed the report by @KevinDing that Steve Nash will not play this season because of recurring nerve damage in his back.
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

Nash is done. If anything, this will help the team find out what they have in Clarkson.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • SoDak
        • Technology Director
        • Send PM

Nash, and now Randle. Ouch.

I agree with oip in the other thread... Ed Davis should be starting.

Kobe looked ok.

Boy they need to get Ellington, and Nick Young back. No shooters. just ugly on the offensive end. And just as bad on defense.

But that all takes a backseat to the Randle injury. Can't believe that. 19 year old kid, in his first NBA regular season game. That's tough.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
          Nash, and now Randle. Ouch.

I agree with oip in the other thread... Ed Davis should be starting.

Kobe looked ok.

Boy they need to get Ellington, and Nick Young back. No shooters. just ugly on the offensive end. And just as bad on defense.

But that all takes a backseat to the Randle injury. Can't believe that. 19 year old kid, in his first NBA regular season game. That's tough.
          Randle was looking good at times out there. He had a few hiccups but that was to be expected.

And I thought the defense was really what hurt them. Just not good.
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• sandiego17
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Randle. Damn. He's only 19, hopefully he can get all the way back to 100%.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • SoDak
              • Technology Director
              • Send PM

Last Night was a trainwreck. Aside from Kobe and Ed Davis, they were horrible.

Boozer had 8 turnovers by mid 3rd quarter.

And Lin is struggling. Wayne Ellington didn't help. (not a big shock)

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • SoDak
                • Technology Director
                • Send PM

Los Angeles Lakers rookie forward Julius Randle will miss the remainder of the season after undergoing surgery Wednesday to repair a broken leg.

Randle out for the season. That's what I figured. Makes sense, though... no need for him to rush back at all.

Comment

Working...
                X